Still Having Difficulty Finding Neutral. - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    My '15 F800R has now covered 27,000klms. Since new I've been having difficulty finding neutral when at a standstill with the engine running. When the bike is moving or engine turned off, no problems. There is a slight 'crunch' when I find 1st gear from neutral at a standstill, especially when the engine hasn't reach operating temperature. On the move, shifting gears is smooth and quiet.

Has anyone else had this 'problem'?
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos. 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I have a bit of the opposite problem, inadvertently hitting neutral in the way from 1st to 2nd, and regularly find a false neutral between 5th and 6th, but that's mostly due to my lazy shifting.

You might want to check the clutch adjustment to make sure it's fully disengaged when the lever is pulled in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

4. Likespadaek, gtutunjian liked this post

18 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Gearbox on my GT changes fine but the gear indicator sensor is now failing. It sometimes struggles to differentiate between 1st 2nd and neutral. First time it occurred I went into a wild panic as I dropped down form 2nd to 1st for a slow maneuver the bright neutral light stood out. No amount of pressing on the gear lever got it into "gear", I was immediately thinking terminal gearbox fault as you sort of do in those moments. Soon realized it was actually in gear. Since then I use the feel in the gear lever rather than relying on the dash indicator to tell if it's in neutral and no problems at all. I've had the gear position sensor of the engine. As I manually rotated the sensor you could see it struggle in the 1st to 2nd gear range sometimes changing it's mind as to which gear it was in without actually moving the sensor and sometimes giving up all together and showing a blank LCD instead of the gear number. At some point I'll fit a replacement but at £130 for what just a potentiometer I'll try some contact cleaner first.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

6. LikesDaboo liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    3 Days Ago
    Jurgen. My GT does the same. I seem to remember that this topic has come up before. Mine is fine until it gets hot, as in after a hard run or city riding on a warm day. For what it's worth my R100RT did it it too. My assumption is that when the gearbox was assembled the tolerances were at the tight end of acceptable, so when hot it makes it somewhat harder to shift well. I don't think there is any easy "fix" other than maybe a lighter grade oil (not such a good idea in an Oz summer). I find it a minor irritant as I rarely do any city or town riding and just live with it.

9. Likespadaek, gtutunjian liked this post

Real Name
    bever
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    let us know how you go, sometimes alittle extra freeplay in the clutch helps, are you normally down in 1st when you start searching? i find if i pull up in 2nd or 3rd it harder to find neutral. solution=keep riding (((-; is it smokey around your way? it`s still cold and wet down here.......

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by 308bever View Post
    let us know how you go, sometimes alittle extra freeplay in the clutch helps, are you normally down in 1st when you start searching? i find if i pull up in 2nd or 3rd it harder to find neutral. solution=keep riding (((-; is it smokey around your way? it`s still cold and wet down here.......
    Finding neutral is difficult from 1st and 2nd gears. Sometimes it feels like neutral doesn't even exist. I'll hit the engine kill switch and it slips in easily.
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos. 

2 Days Ago
    I had the same problem during the purchase of an F800GS from a dealer....I insisted the mechanic looked at it and he ultimately swapped the clutch....now goes in perfectly every time from 1st to N and 2nd to N....Sales guys kept pushing back with "needs to be ridden", "they are all like that", "close ratio gearbox" etc....*ollocks I said...

13. LikesIanA liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Had a similar problem a few years ago when I bought a 1200rRT Perfect for a few weeks then I started getting gear shifting / neutral problems. One response was to "check my boots"!!! I laughed like a drain then realised
    I had recently bought and using a new pair of boots and they where not yet broken in, swapped back to my old boots and the problem disappeared -
    Couldn't believe the difference. Needless to say I had to go back to the "New boots" just to confirm and the shifting problems returned due to restrictions on ankle/foot positioning and lack of flexibility in the boot.

Real Name
    emlevy
    1 Day Ago
    I had the exact situation with my R1200RT. Very difficult time upshifting into 2nd and 3rd. It was my new boots. I sold them and bought a more flexible pair and the problem went away immediately.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX