BMW F800 Forum banner

what happened there?

9K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  guidoveloce 
#1 ·
Font Rectangle Parallel Triangle Screenshot

What was this warning all about? Was it just to a few who use Windows 10/8/7 etc., or was it an update that went wrong. Would be nice to know for future reference. I was able to bypass my security but once on the site it stopped responding.
Any ideas?

See less See more
Reactions: Roadpizza
#3 ·
Look at your browser address bar. See the HTTPS at the beginning of the web address? HTTPS requires the website operator to use a special certificate called SSL. This certificate is both specific to the website address and has an expiry date.

By installing an SSL certificate on your website’s server, it allows you to host it over HTTPS and create secure, encrypted connections between your site and its visitors. This safeguards communication. SSL also authenticates the server.

It seems in the case (as far as I can tell) the wrong SSL certificate was used for a few days. The SSL certificate indicated it was for "bimmerforums.co.uk"

#4 ·
Look at your browser address bar. See the HTTPS at the beginning of the web address? HTTPS requires the website operator to use a special certificate called SSL. This certificate is both specific to the website address and has an expiry date.

By installing an SSL certificate on your website's server, it allows you to host it over HTTPS and create secure, encrypted connections between your site and its visitors. This safeguards communication. SSL also authenticates the server.

It seems in the case (as far as I can tell) the wrong SSL certificate was used for a few days. The SSL certificate indicated it was for "bimmerforums.co.uk"
Thanks, I think I remember seeing "bimmerforums somewhere. I gathered it was an out of date certificate, but was everyone affected? I run Windows 10 with Google Chrome search engine.

Reactions: Flook
#6 ·
Andrew's explanation was really good. The danger in just bypassing the browser warning is that someone can hack the forum and begin capturing data on your computer. Identity theft is one thing I'd be concerned about.

On the browser I use most often, Opera, the browser remembered that I said to bypass the security and made an exception for the forum website. From that time on, the only warning I had that something was wrong was the tiny words in the upper left corner that said "not secure".

Chris

#7 ·
They'd have to been hovering waiting for me to login Chris in the unsecured situation as I only took a look-see and I logged out within 30secs. I know stranger things have happened in life. Hopefully no harm done!

#9 ·
Ah I make a suggestion here. I have spoken to Oxytotl today, and suggested he might want to be sent everyone’s email addresses as a communication centre in case of any problems that may arise in the future.

Oxy has mine, and he has my permission to use it should the unthinkable happen again, also, if any regular member wants it they can ask either myself or Oxy.

Flook

Reactions: oxytotl
#10 ·
the bimmerforums.co.uk site belongs also to VerticalScope, maybe for this reason the SSL certificate of our forum was exchanged with the certificate of the BMW cars forum. anyway there are no more problems.

but let me be a bit pedantic... if there is a problem is only in the name of the other forum: the word "forums" doesn't exist, the plural of forum is "fora". [lol]

#11 ·
You're OK to be pedantic but the trouble is Guido, most English/American native speakers wouldn't be aware of that level of detail in their own language. Oops, I never gave it a thought.

#12 ·
Ahh, the pedants.

Language is a fluid thing, nay? Thy use of thine words changeth anon. And thats just the English.

Here's a quote and a link letting us all relax and keep on chatting on the forums safe in the knowledge that we're not wrong. Maybe not right, but not wrong.

"Fora vs. forums

Fora and forums are plurals of forum. The former conforms to the original Latin, which some people prefer, while others like the Anglicized form. Neither is right or wrong, and choosing between them is mostly a matter of preference. Be aware, however, that forums is by far the more common form in most types of writing throughout the English-speaking world. Fora still has the edge in scientific and scholarly contexts, though. This is not surprising, as Latin forms are typically more common in these types of writing. Outside these contexts, fora can be distracting and even confusing to readers who are used to seeing the English word.
" https://grammarist.com/usage/fora-forums/

Plus a nice simple one:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum/

#14 ·
in english the term "forums" can be accepted, as in italian the term "forum" is used also as plural, but, even if some new latin dictionaries describe the term as masculine (wrong! it's neutral) so the first case (nominative) in plural sometimes is reported as "fori", as told, the first case plural of the neutral term must be "fora".
you are right saying that the language is a fluid thing and so we coin the neologisms. in the languages used on internet often happens that we distort some words, and this is just the case of "forum".

please, let me be pedantic... it's one of the few things that I am able to do very well. [lol]

#15 ·
Ahhh, language, there are times when some people I meet I would like to tell them to peee off, but in Italian I reckon would would sound very different[:)].
Fortunately or unfortunately I know the true meaning of the two up fingers that one shows for total disregard and what is assumed to be a rude gesture. Well, this should only really be rude in a way to our French friends. History has shown us that when the French army's captured the English Long Bowmen, they cut off their two string fingers so they would not be able to pull a bow ever again. So, when the English captured the French, at the very front used to be the Long Bowmen and they would use the two fingers vigorously against them.
Since then this action has been denigrated to daily use for anything. Just typical of how anything can be taken out of context over a period of time.

Flook, and ex Archer, ex Club champion, and now long longer involved in Archery or Toxophily (sold it all)

#17 ·
When my granddaughters are texting each other they use all sorts of abbreviations and language short-cuts. My daughter has no idea what they are saying. Maybe that is the idea?

Reactions: Flook and oxytotl
#18 ·
Ahhh, language, there are times when some people I meet I would like to tell them to peee off, but in Italian I reckon would would sound very different:smile:.
Flook, in italian we use a simple word... "vaffanculo" (it can be translated with "fuck off"), next time you can use this simple word. [lol]

Richard, for me also the american english is hard sometimes, you use a lot of acronyms, in italy we are not used to them.

Reactions: IanA
#19 ·
[bow]:lol::lol::lol: Those are my two favourite words Guido, I shall have use vaffanculo in my repertoire!

We all know the difference between the English and the Americans is our common language. Bill Bryson wrote an interesting book called "Mother Tongue" about how some English and the American words evolved in a very lighthearted way, including swear words.

I expect the mods to move this thread to general discussion soon!

Reactions: guidoveloce
#21 ·
Scurrilous terms, scurrilous terms: as if we would[}:)] Guido. On occasion yes we hi jack a post, like this one, this has gone a little side scewed from what Oxy had put in on post 1.

However, to get back on track so to speak, would it be a bad thing if we swopped direct emails for not only private conversations also to inform others via that route of any issues similar to what we have experienced.

Should any of this be agreeable, may I suggest to use this thread with a yes please and pm me your email so I will respond mails or something like that so emails will be sent to those who want it, or just pm those who you want to have your email add. I have Oxytotle's and he has mine, I am aware he has a few others as well. I won't say who for obvious reasons (obvious to me that is).

Your mate
Flookie[8D]

#22 ·
well, my e-mail address is known by the whole community... guidoveloce@icloud.com (or, if you prefer, guidoperi@icloud.com, as you can see I don't care too much about my privacy... I think it's only an opinion [lol]). if you want to give me yours, send me a PM or a mail so I can make a mailing-list and send you a mail to advise you if anything goes wrong.

#26 ·
0h! I think you've had mine for a while Guido - I know - you deleted it [lol2][lol2][lol2]

I know my station in life [B)]

#34 · (Edited)
when I'll do the mailing list I will send a copy to everyone is in that so we have a sort of mail chain, a useful way to communicate if the forum doesn't work. if anyone of you want to be warned about any issue of forum but doesn't want to give his e-mail address to others than to the mods/admins, please be specific when give the address mailing to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.