BMW F800 Forum banner

Trailer Sale

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Thumpin 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a trailer for sale......I am going to upgrade to a larger enclosed trailer (and I don't need 2 enclosed trailers!). I travel along I-71 up to Salem, OH and make a few trips each year to Sarasota, FL, and I could deliver the trailer to someone that lives close to the routes I take.

The enclosed trailer is 48" inside and the door opening is 45" high. It can haul most standard motorcycles if I remove the mirrors, and it has hauled my trials motorcycle, Suzuki Savage in both stock and Cafe' forms, a Kawasaki 250 Super Sherpa, and it hauled my F800GT back from Charlotte, NC.....I had to remove the windshield to allow it to clear the door opening. A friend borrowed it to haul his Norton Commando to the Norton rally last year. When I haul my Suzuki Savage Cafe' bike to rides in TN/NC/GA I often leave late in the afternoon or after an evening meeting, and when I arrive I can sleep in the trailer next to the bike. Sleeping with the bike inside is bit cramped - but when you arrive at 2 AM it is nice not to have to set up a tent or unload the bike. Once at the ride area the trailer makes a great place to sleep out of the weather. I have slept in the trailer in temps as low as 8 degrees by using a sleeping bag and several blankets. The 3 windows open and have screens to keep the bugs out. The tires/wheels are brand new with zero miles - the last set of tires were 12 years old and it was definitely time to replace them from age long before the tread was worn off. I bought this trailer from a fellow that hauled Netherland Dwarf Rabbits for shows.....so it has never had any large amount of weight in it. I replaced the spring axle with a rubber torsion axle so I could get the height low - the deck is about a foot above the ground, the total height is 65" - this new axle has lowered the trailer 4" from what the factory springs provided and make the trailer far more suitable for towing behind a small car. The trailer is easy to tow, and when I tow it loaded behind my Pontiac Vibe my mileage drops from 32mpg to 25mpg, and it still provides for economical travel and even in the mountain of TN/NC I can maintain the speed limits in all but the steepest grades. We have used this trailer a few times for camping without the motorcycle, as it is nice not to have to set up a tent or tear one down when it is raining! We just put a foam mattress on the floor and we don't have to sleep on the cold/lumpy ground. The price is $1,500 which is about half what a new replacement would cost - and a new one will be about 4" higher as it will not come with the torsion axle. (NOTE: The only reason I am selling this trailer is to get one a foot wider and a foot taller - so I can haul my R1200RT. A trailer with a 60" inside height will allow me to haul the F800GT without removing the windshield, and haul the R1200RT by removing the windshield).

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Well....no.

I sold my Sherco about 4 years ago. I found I was riding on the street far more, and the trails bike was getting ignored.

I do regret selling it however......I am looking for a Ossa Mick Andrews Replica to buy. The Sherco was great fun and incredibly nimble - but it was far more bike than I could justify owning for as little as I was riding it.

Another thing that made me decide to sell it was that I didn't have any friends that rode a trials bike. When I went out riding I would take the really rugged trails that were badly eroded as smooth trails are no fun on a trials bike, and I could be riding for hours and never seen anyone - I decided it just wasn't safe to be riding alone like that.

#4 · (Edited)
(SOLD) The open trailer was sold to a nice young man that rides a KTM 690.

I loaded up the F80GT to show the trailer can haul bigger bikes. The trailer weighs around 250 pounds and it has a 1,000 pound axle....so a 750 pound bike is probably the limit.

This is a great trailer for towing behind a small car - my little Vibe hauls this trailer and a motorcycle easily, and my highway mpg only drops 2 or 3 mpg while towing.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
The open trailer is sold - I still have the enclosed trailer.

The enclosed trailer would make a nice "Tiny Camper" - with our without the bike. It hauls camping supplies easily, and also provides a nice dry and level place to sleep. It is also far more secure than a tent and you can lock your valuables up when you are gone.

#7 ·
DCMIKE:

Sorry for the slow response....I didn't see your post until this morning.

I made the open trailer using an axle and springs I got from an old worn out trailer. I made the trailer for my Trials motorcycle, and the "Play with Gravity" was the slogan that Sherco was using at the time.

The trailer was made to fit the rather small Sherco trials motorcycle - but I did make an extension so that larger motorcycles could fit, and I hauled my Honda ST1100 to Michigan on it and it worked fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.