Ignition barrel maintenance - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Weeks Ago
    Recently had trouble with the key not wanting to turn, lots of wiggling and worry about it perhaps not going to work at all. I sprayed contact cleaner in to clean it out and let it dry over night then put some graphite powder in from scraping a pencil which has loosened it up. What maintenance if any do you ? Best product to use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Nigel
    4 Hours Ago
    A quick squirt of WD40 every so often is what I do.

Suggest that you wipe the face of the barrel first to stop forcing the accumulated crud into the barrel if you do this.

Learned the hard way with a stuck petrol filler cap on an old R100 some time back but that's another story.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

2 Weeks Ago
    Yes I've used WD in the past but a lot of people say not to use as it attracts dirt and can 'clog' up the barrel. I hadn't used anything since last winter so lesson learned. Good name by the way, BoxerBits lol.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Nigel
    4 Hours Ago
    Never really had a problem with WD40 to be honest, I don't go mad with it. Local double glazing firm recommended it for locks and hinges on their installations, even gave us a can when they worked on our home and asked us to use it to keep things functioning.

You might want to try a PTFE spray. Have used these on some of the kitchen storage units when they started to get noisy. It's a dry lubricant and leaves no unpleasant smell on the crockery or food stuff. Have never used it on locks, but it might work for you if your adverse to WD40.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/en...-aerosol-250ml

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Chris
    18 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Efin8r View Post
    Yes I've used WD in the past but a lot of people say not to use as it attracts dirt and can 'clog' up the barrel. I hadn't used anything since last winter so lesson learned. Good name by the way, BoxerBits lol.
    I use a "Dry Lube" spray. It goes on moist and then dries leaving only the dry lubricant. With no moisture left behind, it doesn't attract dirt.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

8. Likesmervingry liked this post

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Efin8r View Post
    My wife's owned a car that had a driver's door look that would habitually get stiff and become difficult to unlock (remote lock/unlock had failed years ago). I would lubricate with whatever I had available in the garage at the time (usaly WD40). Found this lock specif WD40 in a DIY shop and bought for next time door lock failed, it appear to do the trick used once and lock remained good until car was sold.

https://www.winparts.co.uk/filters-f...SABEgI74vD_BwE
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride