What is it reasonable to expect - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Dear All,

I bought a 2018 F800 GT from a UK BMW dealer based some 150 miles from home this week. I was assured that the bike would be fully cleaned prior to its delivery. When the bike arrived at my home it was clear that the bike was not cleaned despite the delivery driver's insistence that he had cleaned and washed it. Even when I pulled clumps of leaves from off the the engine he insisted the bike had been cleaned. Later I found that the necessary registration and delivery documents that I should have signed were unsigned. Yes I suppose that I should have ensured that all the paperwork was completed but I do not buy bikes everyday and when you in a rage with someone who is lying to you its difficult to think straight. Later I was offered £70 by the dealership to get the bike cleaned at a local BMW dealer, I thought that perhaps one BMW dealer would realise that £70 does not get you very much at another BMW dealership. Finally, it has been arranged that I am to spend some 4 to 5 hours at a BMW dealership some 50 miles from home and allow them to clean the bike early next year .

On the basis that this bike was not washed and cleaned prior to delivery, I am doubtful as to whether the bike was serviced either. Do you think its possible to determine whether the oil has been replaced recently, on a bike that has supposedly done 15 miles since the supposed oil change. Additionally, if I change the oil and filter just to be safe, will I invalidate the warranty on the bike if I use a non BMW replacement filter?

Yesterday, when searching for the illusive " piece of wire inside the RHS side panel ready to be connected to the sat nav " ( Which does not exist), I discovered that there is no tool kit/roll under the saddle of this bike , strangely there is no first aid kit either?? Is this normal and am I being unreasonable to expect that these items should be supplied with a 2 years old bike?
    In fact was the bike supplied with a tool kit and first aid kit when it was new??

Thanks for time reading this, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts,

Whilst waiting I will return to my garage and re-assemble all the RHS side panels I removed last night whilst searching for the " wire tucked into the side panel ready for the Sat Nav" Which does not exist.

Regards to all Tedfred

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    The GPS power wire is tapped to the battery main cable, quite a number of members have used this not only for GPS power but to trigger a fuse block or the like. Before putting the bodywork back on just check for a wire fastened to the positive battery wire. There is not much of a tool kit as standard. Just a screwdriver and a torx key if I recall correctly I'm sure the puncture repair kit is an add on.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

4. Thankstedfred thanked for this post

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Thank you MGD109,

I am about to go to the garage again and have a look.

I trust that this wire tapped to the battery lead is not connected directly to the battery, surely?? It must be energised via the ignition??

Many thanks again.

Regards Tedfred.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    It's not connected to the battery directly it's just has some electrical tape holding it to the positive battery cable, it terminates with the BMW GPS power socket (from new it has a blanking plug in the socket). If you are not using the OEM GPS you will need to either cut the socket off and replace with something more common (cheap option) or buy one of these (more expensive option)

https://www.nippynormans.com/f650gs-...he-bmw-harness

The GPS power socket is is made live with ignition on and powers off about a minute after ignition off. If you have a load above a certain level (I think it's a couple of amps but can't remember exactly) it stays live for about 15 mins after power off or until bike detects low battery.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Guido
    18 Hours Ago
    I've moved this thread to its proper place.
    this thread is about a personal experience of the user who started it, so it must be placed in the GT section, the "Hall of wisdom" is a section where must placed only articles regarding technical info to help the user in the maintenance of the bike or how to do specific technical interventions.

p.s. you will find this message also in the other thread I've just moved
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Welcome to the wonderful world of GT owners! As for your oil questions, I'd look at the dipstick. If you have to have it in excellent light to see the oil on it, the oil is fresh. You're going to take it out and replace it in 450 miles anyway at the first service, so why go through that again.

In the USA, we have a law that allows individuals to maintain their vehicles without hurting their warranty. Things like oil changes are common. In the UK though, I'm not sure what to say there. One of the great reasons for including a location in our profiles, is that there are a lot of other members over in the UK who can tell you what they do. If you don't get a response to that, create a thread specifically for that. I know it'll be seen then.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Thank you all for your replies,

Unfortunately Daboo, this bike was serviced 15 miles ago last week when I bought it. I did look at the condition of the oil and it does seem clear so I am relieved to say the least though I will change the filter.
    MGD 109, I should have waited a little longer before going to the garage. I found the connection you referred to in your later mail ( which I have only just read). I measured the voltage between the positive feed to that socket and ( wait for it) the earth terminal of the battery, the socket it seemed was constantly at 12V . It took hours to finally come around to measuring between the to wires feeding the socket and then getting varying readings before I finally worked out there was a considerable delay before the socket de-energised.

Thanks you both for you both for your help.

Sorry for posting on the wrong board Guido, I am new here and I have probably repeated my earlier error by writing my response here.

Regards to all

Tedfred

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Tedfred
    I'm glad you are sorted and personally I feel sorry for the treatment you have been given by the dealer. I hope this doesn't colour your view of the bike, I personally like the F800GT it fills my needs very well. For what it is worth I can envisage a main dealer contracting out the cleaning of customers bikes (I am aware of at least one car main dealer near me that does this) and the valeting getting missed or done to a very poor degree but I honestly can't imagine a BMW main dealer not carrying out a service and stamping the book up to the contrary.

If your intention is to only add GPS then you are fine to use the socket you have found. If your intention is to add lights or other electrical equipment then the better course of action would be to use the the GPS socket to acts a trigger for a Fuze Box of something similar to give you some extra fused connection. The bike as standard has no fuses, any over load due to a wiring fault will cause the bike electrics to shut power to that circuit (Most refer to it as CANbus which is not strictly the correct term but for the purposes of us home mechanics it will do) So if you simply add running lights to the dipped beam circuit the chances are (dependent on how much current the running lights are) it will shut off power to the dipped beam and your extra lights. If you feel you may want to go this route there are a number of tutorials on this forum.

One other thing in case you where unaware the fuel gauge only measure the bottom half of the tank. So if you top the tank up the gauge will not show any loss until you are half empty. (True not a joke).

Enjoy the forum.
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Dave
    20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Welcome to the world of the F800GT. Fine bike but the dealers do vary! I see you've found the GPS connector. A suitable plug and loom is available from the likes of Nippy Norman or Ebay. The gps connector shuts down about a minute after the ignition is turned off. The connection can suppy about 5A before the bike ECU turns it off to protect its self.
    Have you found tje accessory connector? Its a Hella DIN socket located 4" or 5" above the righthand footrest.
    Useful to plug in a CANBUS compatable trickle charger or a lead to charge stuff in a tankbag.
    There is no tool kit or puncture repair kit supplied - other than a double ended screwdriver clipped under the seat.

59 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '03 SOFTAIL DEUCE CVO 100 ANIVERSARY
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    On my long term RT, I always went to the dealer and got the BMW oil filter and a new crush washer. A bit more money than aftermarket but, I think, worth it. I would always check with the service people to see if there was anything new that has been recalled. I have a new to me 2015 F800GT that had 2100 mailes on it, with the service records. I will buy BMW filters even if it is no longer in warranty. Hopefully the fuel guage on this if better than the RT, I had 6 or 7 fuel sending strips replaced under an extended warranty on that part. Good bike but it is now just too top heavy for me. In the Spring.the 800 will be taking me down to Skyline Drive VA, the BRP to Cherokee NC then on to New Orleand and then the Natchez Trace to Nashville. Other places on the trip too, but I don't know where. I have seen amazing sights just wandering, talking to locals, getting lost.

18 Hours Ago
    The good thing is you've found the gps connector - don't cut this off, just buy the correct connector/wire. In the UK, the F800 GT was not supplied with either a first aid kit or a tool kit, except a 'key' to adjust the pre-load for the rear shock. Also, in the UK, there a number of BMW dealers that offer a winter wash/clean and ACF50 treatment for about £70 - if I was you I'd take up your supplying dealers offer and get it cleaned at a dealer local to you and build a relationship with them. Oh, and enjoy your bike!!

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Welcome.

The connector you are looking for is a 83 30 0 413 585 GPS Connector CAN-BUS Bike. Not sure if this is a USA specific part number, I would think not but who knows! It has three yellow wires coming out of a white connector. You would remove the plug and replace with the connector then wire you GPS or whatever up. I bought it for adding a fuze block but instead went with the Hex EZCan controller. I'm super happy with that, it controls two LED aux lights, an additional brake light and an USB port.

16. Likestedfred liked this post

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Many thanks all,

I am considering running the auxiliary lead onto the coil of a 4 Pole S.T. relay and then feeding each of the four outputs into a blade type fuse box. If I can find a decent quality fuse box which will fit in the receptacle for the non existent pressurised tyre inflators. If that fails I can make use of the space for the non existent tool roll or even the receptacle for the non existent first aid kit. In fact I have to admire German engineering and logic for supplying such a diverse supply of spaces for non existent accessories, it makes modifying the Motorrad into something fit for purpose so much easier.

Dwarf Sprung technicals or what ever it is they say in Munchin.

Regards to all.

Tedfred

Real Name
    Cramer
    2 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I have been very happy with the PC8. It fits perfectly in the space on top of the air box. I use it to power my accessory lights, USB charger, voltmeter, DVR (dash cam), heated jacket and horn, while using the direct connection for my battery tender pigtail. https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wirin...PC-8/pc-8.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    "- other than a double ended screwdriver clipped under the seat."

A friend got a ST and his handy dandy double ended screwdriver had no Swedged section to engage the supplied handle so it wouldn't be of any assistance.
    Kinda like a lego with no protrusions to engage another. Way to go BMW.

20. LikesIanA liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    1 Hour Ago
    My 2009 F650GS came with a more complete tool kit stored under the seat. It included a screwdriver handle, two reversible screwdriver inserts, a 17mm open-end wrench and a T40 Torx wrench. There was also a plastic T-handle for adjusting the rear suspension preload located somewhere under the seat, which is completely useless as it is not strong enough for the job.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Carl
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '98 VFR800
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...Z1-to-a-F800ST (Thank you to Bric-a-brac on this forum showing how to wire in accessories)
    i have done exactly the same on my previous ST and now on my GT. It works well.
    The one thing i did though, was to use crimped ferrules on the ends of the wires and then push them into the screw connectors, this keeps the wires from fraying and stops the any possible shorts when wires are close together.

My FZ1 fuze block has been in use for nearly 4 years now with no problems, there is another company doing a similar thing now, not as "posh" but at £30 ,seems good value to me, "Nippy Norman" sells the same thing £36 (links Below)

https://www.nippynormans.com/fuse-pa...r-outlet-5-way
    https://www.marksmotorcycleparts.co....power-outlet-1

Motorworks do the BMW lead if you want to use the live as the trigger. (3 pin repair plug part no' ELA13585
    https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...BA_15_70_IA_75

Hope this helps all readers of the original post.

Follow the links above, this is how I did it and it works!

I run a Garmin satnav, Autocom SPA with blue tooth and Kenwood PMR radio, a Garmin Action cam charge lead, and have and Optimate charge lead through it. The Satnav, Autocom and Camera lead are switched, the others are fused through the fuze box as if direct to the battery.
    PM me if you need any other information?

The power lead on my GT is on top of the battery where as on my previous ST it was on the right hand side under the fairing.

23. Likestedfred liked this post

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Hi Pigmy,

Thanks for all the information.
    Unfortunately, when I follow your web links I get the following error

Not Found
    The requested URL /forum/showthre...Z1-to-a-F800ST was not found on this server

Any thoughts???

Regards Tedfred

18 Hours Ago
    https://www.nippynormans.com/gps-acc...he-bmw-harness

https://www.nippynormans.com/f650st-...ble-fuse-panel

In the UK, check out Nippy Norma's or Motorworks for accessories etc. I use the Fuzeblock to provide power for a Tom Tom 550 satbav, Innov K2 front and rear cams and Denali D2 lights via a Denali Cansmart controller on my F800 GT.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

26. Likestedfred liked this post

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Ok , Got it, Many Thanks Ch4gas,

I think I will wait a while before installing those Lights. I have already spent an additional £1200 on accessories/tax /upgraded insurance etc so far and have yet to ride more than a total of 6 miles.

There is still a chance that I will not like this bike.

Many Thanks to you again,

Regards Tedfred

28. LikesIanA liked this post

Real Name
    Frank
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Regarding toolset: modern BMW bikes do not come with a full toolset anymore. The only thing you get is this double ended screwdriver and a plastic card with the phonenumber for BMW's Road Assistance. A 2018 GT should still be under full warranty, so probably a year or so valid assistance by BMW.

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

Real Name
    Nigel
    14 Minutes Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankV View Post
    A 2018 GT should still be under full warranty, so probably a year or so valid assistance by BMW.
    Should do but I suspect that you'd need to use BMW branded consumables to preserve the manufacturers warranty.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

59 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '03 SOFTAIL DEUCE CVO 100 ANIVERSARY
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    So, how did you make out ?

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Dear All,

Talking about what or what little this bike comes with, does anyone have any information about an Emergency Key which is supplied in addition to the usual two keys?

I have sent the photo's of my mysterious loose drain pipe hanging in free space to the BMW Dealer I bought the bike from, I am told today that the pipe is in the correct position? Please see attached image.

Frankly, I am appalled . I have complained to the owners of this dealership buy expect to receive no response. I will change the oil by removing the sump plug ( as opposed to using the Vac' pump) clean the magnet, replace the oil filter ( thanks to all who advised) and try and beg information from the dealership I will visit next year who will clean the bike.

The experience has tainted my view of BMW and taken I lot of the pleasure out of buying a new bike. Anyway, I'll sort it out eventually.

Thanks again .

TedfredClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191208_135058.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	351555
    Last edited by tedfred; 12-10-19 at 03:56 PM. Reason: to add image

Real Name
    Richard
    1 Hour Ago
    My bike came with three regular keys and a thin all-plastic "emergency" key, which I have never tried using.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Three Regular keys Richard???????????????

I felt disheartened when I thought I had been cheated out of just the emergency key. Now it seems I am short of a 3rd key and an emergency key , I am bordering here on the suicidal.

My Mother always used to tell me that in life I would find that things always look their darkest and bleakest just before it goes totally black.

I have always gained comfort from that fact.

Regards Tedfred

Real Name
    Richard
    1 Hour Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by tedfred View Post
    Three Regular keys Richard???????????????

I felt disheartened when I thought I had been cheated out of just the emergency key. Now it seems I am short of a 3rd key and an emergency key , I am bordering here on the suicidal.

My Mother always used to tell me that in life I would find that things always look their darkest and bleakest just before it goes totally black.

I have always gained comfort from that fact.

Regards Tedfred
    Don't feel too bad. BMW keeps getting cheaper with their keys every model year. My 2016 R1200RS arrived with only one main key fob and one plastic key that is pretty much useless to unlock the seat so that you can place it on top of the ECU antenna to start the bike in a pinch. I had to purchase another metal key from my dealer without the brain so that the seat could be unlocked. But it is a big deal to obtain a second main key fob as it needs to be programmed at the factory and costs something like $150 to have one made up in Germany.

Real Name
    Rich
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Tedfred

Sorry to hear of your experience. I'm curious as to which dealer sold you the bike. Although I realise you may not want to divulge that info. The bike doesn't come with a puncture kit as others have verified, neither does it come with a first aid kit. Only a screwdriver handle and and a double ended bit (Phillips and Torx). My 2013 GT came with 3 keys (two normal and one lightweight plastic key). My 2018 GT only came with two main keys. Apparently BMW have stopped giving the third emergency key. Which is a bit mean in my opinion. Regarding the oil, I must admit that my oil has always stayed the same colour between oil changes. Nice and golden and clear. So I'm not convinced you can tell how long it's been in there. Whatever, I hope you end up enjoying the bike. I liked my first one so much I bought another.

37. Likestedfred liked this post

Real Name
    Ian
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Hey Tedfred, don't get wound up over a key. My brand new 2014 GT came with a double ended screw driver, two ignition keys, the damper adjustment key and nothing else.

Don't let the poor performance of your dealer cloud the purchase of your bike. You are right to complain about poor service, but give your bike a few miles to see how you get on with it.
    I think my GT is great but wouldn't go to the dealer I bought it from simply because I have a good M/C shop nearby who is much cheaper.

Ian
    2014 GT Orange. Just the comfort pack and heated grips - not into gizmos.

"Pity the man who wasn't born in the Highlands and hears the pipes"  

39. Likestedfred liked this post

Real Name
    Alyn
    1 Week Ago
    Tedfred, how many miles on the bike when you bought? Was it pre-owned or a dealer demonstrator? These can be important factors down the road. You could contact BMW UK and make a formal complaint or you could contact the dealer and ask for some restitution before you post all of the details on the internet. I know it sounds like blackmail but it is really just bargaining. They sold you short and you have certain rights. In Australia we have a government agency that deals with with dodgy retailers (Consumer affairs and Sept. of Fair Trading). It is free and puts the fear of God up retailers. They actually have a name and shame list!! I was lucky to be given a full tool kit when I bought my 800GT and it is a good kit. I have also put a 12v Din socket on the dash panel for my GPS/USB plug. The bike is very user friendly but then I have a choice of 15 bikes in my shed. With full pannier and top box equipment it is my go-to tourer now.

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Albervin View Post
    Tedfred, how many miles on the bike when you bought? Was it pre-owned or a dealer demonstrator? These can be important factors down the road. You could contact BMW UK and make a formal complaint or you could contact the dealer and ask for some restitution before you post all of the details on the internet. I know it sounds like blackmail but it is really just bargaining. They sold you short and you have certain rights. In Australia we have a government agency that deals with with dodgy retailers (Consumer affairs and Sept. of Fair Trading). It is free and puts the fear of God up retailers. They actually have a name and shame list!! I was lucky to be given a full tool kit when I bought my 800GT and it is a good kit. I have also put a 12v Din socket on the dash panel for my GPS/USB plug. The bike is very user friendly but then I have a choice of 15 bikes in my shed. With full pannier and top box equipment it is my go-to tourer now.
    The bike has done about 6500 miles, it was pre-owned and traded make to the same dealer who sold it. I have written to the dealership and to the complaints department associated with the family who owns the company. The response was that the lost pipe is where it should be, the accessories wire is on the RHS of the fairing and paying for the cleaning at another franchise is more than adequate compensation for the inconvenience I have had .

Thanks for your replies All,

I think the bike is OK. Its just dirty. The rest of the issues are not really issues in their own right , its just that when you feel you have been mislead with a host of false promises prior to handing over 6 Grand and your old and trusted CBR, then palmed off with the delivery of a dirty bike and then lied to, you just start to wonder " Why me" and of all the bikes in all the world from all the possible dealers why did I choose this one?

Oh! Woe is me, is that a violin I can hear?

IT is just that, in my colloquial English way; I feel a trice peeved and close to loosing my dander, don't you know. Actually.

Looking on the bright side though, think at all the storage space BMW have provided by not supplying tools kits, first aid kits, tire in inflators etc. They have also shown pictures in their user manual of all the equipment you are missing, just to make you aware of all they possibilities you have been denied. "Dwarf Sprung Technicals" as they say in Munich.

I have however, been given a screw driver handle and I must say that it probably represents the finest testament to the late 20th century Taiwanese injection moulders art, that I have ever witnessed. A masterpiece to be treasured, I will feel proud to ride my filthy dirty motor bike through Europe with that modern icon under my bottom. Do Americans know what a " bottom" is? I am not sure I am allowed to translate that word into American?

Regards to all

Tedfred

42. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Nigel
    14 Minutes Ago
    I think the bike is OK. Its just dirty. The rest of the issues are not really issues in their own right ....
    I might be missing something here. Get it cleaned and get some miles under its wheels is the way to go to.

Ride safely.

44. Likestedfred liked this post

Real Name
    Carl
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '98 VFR800
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Hi Pigmy,

Thanks for all the information.
    Unfortunately, when I follow your web links I get the following error

Not Found
    The requested URL /forum/showthre...Z1-to-a-F800ST was not found on this server

Any thoughts???

Regards Tedfred
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...Z1-to-a-F800ST

46. Likestedfred liked this post

Real Name
    emlevy
    4 Days Ago
    With a pre-owned bike, sometimes you don't always get what you expect, despite promises and reassurances. Certainly, the dealer has lost your loyalty and business, but I think you'll find your GT to be a terrific motorcycle. The missing items you're complaining about, the tool kit and the first aid kit, are factory accessories. They don't come with the bike. For the price of the BMW stuff, you'd probably be better off assembling your own kits anyway.

Not sure about the UK, but here in the states you can use any aftermarket oil filter that you like without invalidating the warranty, though I'm not sure why you'd want to.

My two '07 F800ST's came with two keys and one plastic emergency key. My '13 F800GT came with one key and one plastic key. My '15 R1200RT came with one "keyless ride" fob and a plastic key. If you lose the fob, or if its battery dies, somehow you can start the RT using the plastic key, after you strip off half of the instrument panel and hold it just so. I'll just call the towing service instead.

I once bought a NEW Moto-Guzzi from the local Moto-Guzzi / Triumph / Ducati dealer, paid for it, and agreed to come back in three weeks to pick it up. When I arrived to retrieve it, the bike was dirty, both tires were down to 24 psi, the fuel tank was empty, and the battery was completely dead. The dealer did nothing to remedy the situation. All true. I had to rent a trailer to get the bike home. Since then, I bad-mouth them anytime someone will listen.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX | 2019 Honda Monkey 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Emlevy, I'da called a lawyer and not have picked up the Guzzi if the described condition was all that bad. Dirty as in left outside in the yard, empty tank as in they never filled it and battery dead as in it just lost charge from sitting?
    If the tank were empty and the ODO reading many more miles You are justifiably offended.
    My ST had the tire warning flashing as I took off from the dealer to stop for gas cus the tank was empty.
    I bought another bike from that dealer when the ST was dead but I haven't been back for since.
    Dealers are happy to take your money and consider they are doing you a favor by taking your money.

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I bought my used BMW from a dealer in Charlotte, VA - I placed a deposit with a credit card and then a week later made the 9 hour drive to retrieve it and complete the paperwork. The dealer has so many bikes that they have to push the used bikes outside every day to open the business......the new bikes stay inside. All the used bikes were a bit dirty from sitting outside in the weather every day - but nothing like the bike you bought. The bike only required a simple wash and wax to look like new again.

A few years earlier I was watching a used F800ST that was for sale at a Honda/Kawasaki dealer - the poor bike was outside in the parking lot in front of the dealer rain/sun/snow for more than 2 years without being sold, and it got pretty faded and rusty as a result. The asking price was over $4,000 in the beginning, and once it dropped below $3,000 I was starting to get interested......about the time I was considering to offer them $2,500 for the bike it was gone (just as well as it was getting pretty weathered and I am pretty fussy about appearance).

I believe the drain/vent tube should go to the bottom of the engine....the plastic mount pushes into one of the threaded holes on the bottom of the engine sump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4516.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	351767  

50. Likestedfred liked this post

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Hi Again,

Just out of interest how tight do you expect an oil filter to be ( on a F800GT)?? I expected by filter , which after all was supposedly changed during a service less than 10 miles ago, to be hand tight.
    In fact the strap wrench I was using, almost crushing the filter body without turning it a fraction. Its true that the filter was cold by the time I came to remove it but I still do not expect a filter to be so tight.

I intend to replace the oil , warm the engine and try again with a warm engine. If it does not move I believe I have problems.

Does anyone in the UK know where I can buy a Air cleaner at reasonable cost for this bike?

Thanks for your time

Regards

Tedfred

Real Name
    Nigel
    14 Minutes Ago
    If you've a torque wrench and know how to use it, filter is 14Nm which is a tad more than hand tight. (Wouldn't want it to come lose while riding, make a bit of a mess. )

Strap wrench has its uses but a proper oil filter socket is so much better and allows use of torque wrench, if you want to, when installing new filter.

Try Dealer, Motobins, Motoworks, Sherlock's or Opie for your consumables and proper tools. Dealer prices are not that much more than the factors for filters but if you're on an economy drive it will save enough for a decent beer

Why are you charging oil and filter if it was charged 10 miles back?

53. Likestedfred liked this post

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    HI Boxerbits,

Note the word " Supposedly" , The bike does also supposedly washed, polished etc when it was delivered................see earlier posts, I will not bore everybody again with this debacle.

I have bought a filter spanner, in Halfords this morning as I passed, I will see how it goes.

Thanks for your response

Regards Tedfred

Real Name
    Nigel
    14 Minutes Ago
    Already saw the word but there's no concrete evidence to support the assumption, just that the bike was dirty.

Did the bike come with the BMW UK 2 year warranty as part of the purchase?

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Yes Boxerbits,

It did come with the guarantee. However, try arguing with the salesman that the bike has not been serviced, that's all you get is statements like " I can show you the invoice from the garage, There is a stamp in the service record" . Unfortunately the stamp in the log and the ink on the page mean nothing, I prefer to see a new filter on the bike and clean oil in the engine.

In short I see no evidence to suggest that this bike has been touched.

One other point, I thought it odd that the dealer who sold me the bike does not accept payments by bankers cards! They apparently will only accept payment by bank transfer? I will not go into the ramifications of that policy or the number of " Rights" a purchaser sacrifices by falling for that trick.

Thanks for your response.

Regards Tedfred

Thanks for your response.

Real Name
    Nigel
    14 Minutes Ago
    Be aware then that by chaning the filter yourself, with a non branded filter, you may find it problematic should you need to make potential future claims under the warranty that you paid for when you purchased the machine.

(This may differ in countries other than UK)

I point this out only to allow you to make an informed decision.

Ride safely.

58. Likestedfred liked this post

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Yes BoxerBits,

Funny enough I was just discussing this this morning before reading your mail.

Good point and thanks you.

Regards Tedfred

Real Name
    Alyn
    1 Week Ago
    In Australia we are fortunate in some respects. Changing oil and filters with Approved items is not an issue. Getting the dash warning lights is an issue. If you do not have a
    friendly dealer they will insist on you paying them to do all servicing to have the computer re-set. If you think that is harsh then you need to own a high end Euro sedan to know what harsh is.

61. Likestedfred liked this post

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Albervin,

I do not know but I have a strong suspicion that it will be like that in the UK?

Is there not a after market diagnostic tool in existence whereby you can reset this warning light yourself?

Happy Christmas all

Tedfred

Real Name
    Richard
    1 Hour Ago
    The Hexcode GS-911 will reset the service date warning light and clear failure codes in the computer memory. It will also do some other things that a dealer can do during a service. What it won't do is to update firmware. That can only be accomplished by a franchised dealer. On the other hand, I don't think that happens as often as a cow jumping over a blue moon for the F800 models.

64. Likestedfred liked this post

Real Name
    Dave
    20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    Check out motoscan.de
    Cost about £100 for the kit to read codes, set service flag and to reset the date should you change the battery or if it goes flat.

66. Likestedfred liked this post

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Thank you for that image Thumpin,

The mysterious pipe fitted exactly into the hole beneath the sump.

Happy New Year

Tedfred

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    For those still following this tread, I am told that BMW have agreed to replace the engine and the monoshock on the bike under the warranty. The replacement is due to excessive corrosion.
    However, what do you expect when you use steel bolts threaded into aluminium????????

Regards to who ever is still listening

Tedfred

Real Name
    Alyn
    1 Week Ago
    Best result!!

70. Likestedfred liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast