A Stupid question - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

08-13-20
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Dear All,

Can someone tell me what a " Comfort Seat" is?

It would make sense me if the seats were described as Low , medium and high but comfort means nothing to me and gives no insight as to how high it is. . When you buy a F800 Gt what is the " Standard"seat it comes with called apart from "very low".

Can anyone in the UK tell me where I can acquire a re-manufactured (higher seat) which will prevents me from looking as if I am doing an impression of a demented Quasimodo whilst riding? Perhaps I exaggerate slightly there .

Is there anyone who you recommend to alter a standard seat in the UK? Or makes made to measure seats, as it seems ridiculous to order a " higher seat" without defining what you mean by high, it could end up a very expensive exercise as your house fills up with a collection of seats of varying heights.

I'd appreciate your thoughts

Regards Tedfred

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Nigel
    3 Hours Ago
    Looks to be a fair bit of information on this subject on both this forum and others when you use Google to search.

As a starting point try :-

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com...ght-820mm.html

This will give you seat height for the comfort seat.

Have you tried a Motorrad dealer for the details that you're looking for?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    First thing I'd do is check what seat you currently have, check the underside of the seat for the part number then compare it here:-

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=52_3262

As well as standard and high there appears to be low and extra low you bike may have either.

Comfort seat is available as standard and high, however it is a little firmer than the "normal" seat so some owners report that fitting a comfort standard over a "normal" standard lifts them up slightly. For what it's worth I'm 5' 10" with 32" leg and I find the comfort high suits me. It's worth knowing that the F800 Rs, Ss, STs and GTs all use the same seat base and are interchangeable (not the GSs).
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

5. LikesSundog52, padaek liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Guido
    4 Weeks Ago
    I've moved this thread to its proper place.
    this thread is about a personal experience of the user who started it, so it must be placed in the GT section, the "Hall of wisdom" is a section where must placed only articles regarding technical info to help the user in the maintenance of the bike or how to do specific technical interventions.

p.s. you will find this message also in the other thread I've just moved.
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

Real Name
    Guido
    4 Weeks Ago
    hi tedfred, welcome to the forum. let me suggest you to introduce yourself to the community opening a new thread in the section of the new members introduction. it's a way to receive the welcome of the other members and to give us the chance to know something about you and you passion for motorcycling.
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Hola, Ted. The variations in seats is to try and appease the derrieres of the individuals. And raid your wallet. Sometimes seat accessories, like and Air Hawk, can make the ride more bearable. I had a GEL Seat on another bike which was supposed to be the more comfortable of the seat choices but it was hard as a brick to me.
    Unfortunately the dealer doesn't make you aware of the seat choices when you buy the bike thus forcing the unwanted learning curve.
    I didn't know about seat choices on the ST when I got it nor on the G650GS that replaced it.
    The slight change in height can make the difference of requiring foot peg modifiers and handlebar risers.
    Good luck finding your satisfaction.

Real Name
    Chris
    20 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Ted, there's a motorcycle ergonomics web page (http://cycle-ergo.com) that will give you an idea of what changes to your "rider triangle" will do for things like lean, knee angle etc.

I went through all the variations. I started with a low or extra low seat. Even with a 28 inch inseam, I thought it was too low. My next seat was a comfort seat. It had a lot of padding, but wasn't "comfortable" really. Just taller. I settled on a standard seat.

Perhaps you can share your pant inseam length and ask what seat others are using? FWIW, on trips, I use an Air Hawk cushion. It makes the standard seat all day comfortable for me.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

11. Likesnotacop liked this post

20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Welcome and it is not a stupid question. BMWs seat choices are bewildering to most folks - I'm still not sure I understand all of the choices. I think of standard as the un-comfort-able seat. With that seat I could make it about an hour before discomfort would start. Two hours was max. That was about the same as my Kawasaki ZX6R 636 a pure sport bike which was better than the cBR600RR with the gel seat. I bought a Comfort seat (standard height) off of eBay and for me it is much better than the standard seat. I have taken 2 long trips with the comfort seat and have done many full tank rides which have been from 2 to 3 hours at a stretch. I have looked at Corbin and other seats but my only experience was on my CBR600RR and really was not an improvement. I have done 600 mile days on both the CBR600RR and the ZX6R 636. Longest day on the F800GT has been 550 miles.

3 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by tedfred View Post
    Dear All,

Can someone tell me what a " Comfort Seat" is?

It would make sense me if the seats were described as Low , medium and high but comfort means nothing to me and gives no insight as to how high it is. . When you buy a F800 Gt what is the " Standard"seat it comes with called apart from "very low".

Can anyone in the UK tell me where I can acquire a re-manufactured (higher seat) which will prevents me from looking as if I am doing an impression of a demented Quasimodo whilst riding? Perhaps I exaggerate slightly there .

Is there anyone who you recommend to alter a standard seat in the UK? Or makes made to measure seats, as it seems ridiculous to order a " higher seat" without defining what you mean by high, it could end up a very expensive exercise as your house fills up with a collection of seats of varying heights.

I'd appreciate your thoughts

Regards Tedfred
    Try (google) Tony Archer from Huddersfield West Yorkshire. He is well known in the motorcycle and special vehicle building trade for seats and modifications and I’ve friends who have used him more than once.

14. Likestedfred liked this post

3 Weeks Ago
    What is a comfort seat? Well it is a very expensive item that makes very little difference (imho)
    I have just arrived back here I collect my new f800gt next week, my part ex was a BMW R9t racer some say a extreme machine / torture bike/ ciroprator bike... I could go but you get the idea.
    Recently a friend let me use is wild ass comfort air pillow other models are available, air hawk and others.
    One day I knocked in 340 miles on the racer and although I had a couple of aches I was in great shape compared to friends on more touring type bikes.
    Pound 4 pound a great bit of kit for a fraction of the price of a comfort seat.

16. Likestedfred liked this post

Real Name
    Nigel
    3 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying circus 2 View Post
    Recently a friend let me use is wild ass

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

3 Weeks Ago
    DOH......not my best selection of words there.

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Semantics can be a bugger, no?

20. LikesIanA liked this post

08-13-20
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    A Wild Ass? It would be good if you could put it under the seat covering?

I am not into "Street Cred'" but it does look a little incongruous strapped to the set.

However, if it does the job, who cares.

Regards

Tedfred

3 Weeks Ago
    Tedfred my GT is delivered Monday and I intend to get some miles in and work any problems to make a good bike even better.
    I have fell for this comfort seat bollox before hundreds of pounds spent on a BMW or triumph comfort seat for VERY little difference.
    For that kind of money you can buy a bed or sofa!
    With a seat cushion you have a tiny outlay I could use it on my GT or super cub on long trips only.
    I'm thinking seat pad with cool cover netting over complete seat could be a winner.
    Adventure bikes are the biggest offender because you sit bolt upright all weight is on coccyx and backside but owners actually convince themselves they are comfortable. Nick Sanders says Yamaha's R1 is a better bike for world travel. That's because weight is going through 3 points feet/ backside and wrists. My f800s was like that and very comfortable but I was 10 years younger!
    If I can put 4 thousand miles on a r9t racer this f800gt will be a armchair in comparison.

23. Likestedfred liked this post

08-13-20
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Flying Circus 2, You make a convincing argument. I cannot fault your logic.

Regards Tedfred

Real Name
    Adrian
    26 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Air hawk plus sheepskin, job done

20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I found my comfort seat to be much more comfortable than the standard seat + air hawk. Based on one long trip on the air hawk + standard and two long trips on the comfort seat. Last trip was 5,300 miles in 16 days. Several days 500 miles or over.

Comfort seat is expensive! Some dealers apparently will swap out the standard for the comfort. I got mine on eBay for $250 after watching for a couple of months.

A comfort seat is what BMW should have put on the bike as standard equipment.

28. LikesRichard230, tedfred liked this post

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    A comfort seat is what BMW should have put on the bike as standard equipment.

I agree.....if they know how to make a seat more comfortable - why don't they include that as standard?

How does BMW refer to the standard issue - "Uncomfortable Seat"?

30. LikesMGD109, Richard230 liked this post

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    .......How does BMW refer to the standard issue - "Uncomfortable Seat"?
    I think BMW may have shot themselves in the foot. To my eye the "Comfort" saddle looks to be of much higher quality than the standard it just sets the bike of nicely. I don't know what the actual price difference to BMW would be to fit the comfort as original but I can't help think that it would be money wisely spent. Failing that they maybe should have taken a leaf out of Land Rovers book they used "Standard" and "Deluxe" seats.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

32. LikesRichard230, tedfred liked this post