New 2016 F700GS Owner - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Joseph
    4 Days Ago
    All

I was remonstrated for the mistake of posting someplace on the forum without first properly introducing myself...

I'm a Native Texan, and live in the Hill Country of Texas and have been riding since 1975. I figure I've got ~1.25 million miles in the saddle, all of them, until now, on Hondas. I've been riding an ST1300 since 2003, and before that an ST1100 since 1991, along with Shadow Tourers, a Valkyrie, and several V-65 Magnas, which are stupidly fun bikes.

As a somewhat, kind-of, semi-retired college professor of 40 years, I always had the summers off, so I've been in 49 states, all of the provinces of Canada, and all but five of the states of Mexico... Prudhoe Bay three different times, which is not the wisest on a bike with approximately three acres of Tupperware. Cabo San Lucas. St. Johns Newfoundland. Etc. Lots of long-distance touring.

I wanted something lighter and purpose-built for adventure touring, so I found a deal on a 2016 F700GS. Planning on riding into South America sometime next year. I look forward to mining the collective wisdom of the board for places to go and things to see.

Cheers.

2. LikesIanA, Richard230, guidoveloce, padaek, 4RF RDS liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    You were "remonstrated"? I had to look that up.

But back to the topic at hand...welcome! I started in Harlingen, Texas many decades ago and now live in Puget Sound, home of the Puget Sound Convergence Zone.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Bill
    1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    You will suffer further remonstrations for not putting your location in your profile. . . . .
    Welcome to the "F"amily.
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Guido
    5 Days Ago
    hi and welcome. I read that you was/are a college professor, what subject did you teach? I was a musicologist and I did a similar work, holding the workshops for the listening of the contemporary music in the local university for many years, but I must be honest, I spent all my working life trying to avoid the teaching (unfortunately it was not always possible), I felt much better spending all the day and, more often, all the night alone in my library than with the students. anyway, you are the first member that tell us to be a college professor so I'm curious to know something more. please, tell me about your interests concerning your job.
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

Real Name
    Cramer
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Welcome from Wisconsin. I'm also a professor and listed it in the "what do you do" thread. I teach exercise physiology. Most of my students go into physical therapy or cardiac rehabilitation. I'm semi retired (at 44 years old) only because I couldn't get tenure, jumped around between universities, so now I only teach part time. Luckily my wife brings home the bacon.

If I remember correctly, there are several on this site who teach. Summers off are great for motorcycle enthusiasts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Joseph
    4 Days Ago
    WildWilly

Done.

Real Name
    Joseph
    4 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by guidoveloce View Post
    hi and welcome. I read that you was/are a college professor, what subject did you teach? I was a musicologist and I did a similar work, holding the workshops for the listening of the contemporary music in the local university for many years, but I must be honest, I spent all my working life trying to avoid the teaching (unfortunately it was not always possible), I felt much better spending all the day and, more often, all the night alone in my library than with the students. anyway, you are the first member that tell us to be a college professor so I'm curious to know something more. please, tell me about your interests concerning your job.
    Political Science/International Relations/American Government/Introduction to Education (it's a long story)/Political Theory.

I've semi retired in that I now work remotely for a testing company. Remember those test you had to take to graduate? I write them.

Flame suit/on

11. Likesguidoveloce liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by LDRider View Post
    Political Science/International Relations/American Government/Introduction to Education (it's a long story)/Political Theory.

I've semi retired in that I now work remotely for a testing company. Remember those test you had to take to graduate? I write them.

Flame suit/on
    Are those the tests that the state of California would like to get rid of because it is not fair to the "disadvantaged" that they have to take a test and be compared to smarter and more dedicated students before they can graduate?

My granddaughter is enrolled in UC Santa Cruz and gets nothing but A+ grades because she is apparently one of the few people in her class who bothers to do homework or takes the course tests seriously. From talking with her I get the feeling that everyone will get a passing grade as long as they show up for class once in a while. She takes 20 units a quarter, 10 units during the summer and expects to graduate with a BA degree in linguistics halfway through her Junior year.

Not at all like when I was attending college. Each 5-unit class was good for three hours of after-class homework. I hardly had any time to goof off while at college. Things sure are a lot different now. It is now all about money and not so much about making it tough on the students and providing a good education and rational thinking.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

13. LikesLDRider liked this post

Real Name
    Rob
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800R
    Hi LD Rider. Welcome to the site. I've been no further than New York, so can't relate to much of your travels. Here in the UK, distances are much shorter, but there is some great riding to do. Keep us informed of your plans. Best wishes, Rob.

15. LikesLDRider liked this post

Real Name
    Joseph
    4 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Hi LD Rider. Welcome to the site. I've been no further than New York, so can't relate to much of your travels. Here in the UK, distances are much shorter, but there is some great riding to do. Keep us informed of your plans. Best wishes, Rob.
    Rob

I used to live about 50 miles south of you, a tiny little town called Cassington. Was doing some research at St Antony's, then moved to London to conduct research at the India Office Library. I never got the chance to ride the UK - but will at some point.

Real Name
    Guido
    5 Days Ago
    in italy the situation of the universities is really bad: there is no money for the research (this is the main reason why I left the university, I used to spend a lot of my own money for my researches, and in the last years there was less job so I had difficulties to carry on with my researches), I also had the impression that the university studies now have become a sort of a little more specific studies of the secondary school, the courses are on three months and there is no enough time to develop a serious and complete program. I've felt that university is not a "superior" study, no more. in other words it seems to have lost its real meaning. for those like me who have chosen the studies as profession it's really frustrating. then to make me more intolerant was the change of some internal rules of the local university, for example, I used to go to the library during the night, but after the change of the rules I couldn't let the students come with me after the 5 pm... why don't give the chance to study to those who really want to do it?
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    My oldest granddaughter went to UCLA and then to the Freie University in Berlin, where she graduated in comparative literature, attending classes with German students, after a total of 3 years of education. As I mentioned, the younger one is a Sophomore at UCSC. Both girls were required to take three classes during their first year consisting of the study of alternate lifestyles (LBGQ, etc. stuff), a list of all of the words and social subjects that are not to be thought of while at the University, and various other subjects designed to indoctrinate them into the California "progressive" way of thinking. By the time they finished those courses, they were completely sick of the subjects and never wanted to hear about them again. Good job, UC.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Guido
    5 Days Ago
    I suppose that the main problem of the italian universities is the fact that the university studies are not intended to prepare the students to real life... it's a theory teaching in the pure sense. only some students (the ones who show a particular attitude) have in some way the access to the work. well, my job was to study, so I had to learn how to do it in a professional way, I was lucky to find some professors who believed in me and in my skills and taught me to do, but for most of the student this is not possible. another thing that make a inhuman selection is the economic state of the students' family. also in thatI was lucky because my family supported me for years even after the university studies and later the properties inherited from my family gave me the chance to finance my research. that gave me also the opportunity to carry on to work even when the economic crisis made the loss of the work for many musicologists and other researchers of humanistic sciences. not everybody have had the same fortune of me.

Real Name
    Rob
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800R
    Hello LD Rider. Before moving to Rugby, I lived in Banbury and so was a little familiar with Cassington. My step-daughter lives at Steeple Aston, not very far from there. Let me know if you are coming to the UK to have a ride some time. Rob.

Real Name
    Jurgen
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    G'day from Australia, Joseph..
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos. 

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Welcome.

Real Name
    bever
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    g`day mate, you`ve picked a nice bike (((-;