Horn cable disconnect - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Chuck
    5 Days Ago
    I'm in the process of installing a Stebel horn on my F 800 GT. My question is how do you disconnect the connector that attaches to the horn from the horn itself? Or on installing a Stebel horn do I cut and splice the cable to the horn further up line and splice it there to the new horn wiring harness?

Thanks,

Chuckerconnie

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    A Stebel will draw at least 15 amps, so you'll need a relay. If not it will burn out the original switch. I would cut the wire from the switch to the original horn and run it into the 85 terminal of a relay. Then attach the wires that came with the horn to the 87 terminal. Attach the 30 terminal to the battery with a fuse (I ran mine through my fuzeblock), and the 86 terminal to ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Chuck
    5 Days Ago
    When you suggest "cut the wire from the switch to the original horn" where do you suggest cutting it, at the horn button or down where the wiring terminates on the horn itself? If at the horn itself would you cut the wire right at the connector on the horn or a few inches back from the horn connector? I assume I need to do some splicing somewhere. Does it matter which wire to the existing horn goes to the 86 terminal and which to the 85 terminal?

Thanks for your response.

Chuckersconnie

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chuckersconnie View Post
    When you suggest "cut the wire from the switch to the original horn" where do you suggest cutting it, at the horn button or down where the wiring terminates on the horn itself? If at the horn itself would you cut the wire right at the connector on the horn or a few inches back from the horn connector? I assume I need to do some splicing somewhere. Does it matter which wire to the existing horn goes to the 86 terminal and which to the 85 terminal?

Thanks for your response.

Chuckersconnie
    The bike does not have a wire from the horn button to the horn. The horn button is an input to the ZFE module. When the ZFE senses the horn button closure it sends power to the horn. You could replace the horn with a relay coil but there is no guarantee that the ZFE will be happy with the current draw difference. Assuming that it is ok then the best way to wire in the relay coil would be to disconnect the stock horn and source a mating connector to plug in. The mating connector would bring power and ground to the relay coil. Power for the new horn would come from the battery via the relay contacts.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Cramer
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Yes, it has to go through the computer, so cut it just as it gets to the horn. That way there will be voltage to trip the relay. On my ST I removed the stock horn and cut the wire just as it got to the fitting. I then ran that wire back up to the relay. My relay is attached with the bolt that holds the battery down.

08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

18 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    ........You could replace the horn with a relay coil but there is no guarantee that the ZFE will be happy with the current draw difference. .......
    From my own experience and the reports of others on this forum it would seem the ZFE is very tolerant of under current conditions, overload is very different. I think the original horn runs at 5 amp so a relay will be clearly well under.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    .......and source a mating connector to plug in. The mating connector would bring power and ground to the relay coil. ......
    https://www.nippynormans.com/f800-ad...arness-adaptor

A bit expensive for what it is and probably the way I'd go but if you have no intention of reverting to the original horn cutting the original socket off and re terminating makes a lot of (financial) sense.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Chuck
    5 Days Ago
    Thanks for all your input guys! I appreciate it. But my initial question was how do you disconnect the BMW connector to the horn from the horn? Other than just cutting the wires, which I gather doesn't matter which wire goes to the 86 connector and which goes to the 85 connector, what is the trick or technique to removing the connector from the horn itself?

Thanks,

Chuckersconnie

Real Name
    Cramer
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    It's been 6 years since I did mine, so I went into my spate parts bin and found my original BMW horn. As you can see, I just cut the wires. Green was the power in, so that's the one you want to run to the relay.

18 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Go on Cramer stop teasing the OP un clip the cut wires from the horn and tell us all how you did it (looks like the indicator socket type to me)
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

01-20-20
    just depress the retainer clip and unplug it. You need a mechanic. You obviously do not know how to work on a CanBus equipped motorcycle. it is ludicrous to think that you can accomplish the task of installing a new electrical accessory on your motorcycle.

Real Name
    JR
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F750GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Single)
    The retaining clip on the horn connector isn't as obvious as it seems but it is there. Once you depresses the connector will slide right off. If anyone knows where to get a horn side connector you'd be in business without having to cut anything. You could just use that connector to wire into your relay. it's always nice to keep things stock and not cut anything.

On the same note, if anyone knows where to find the bike side connector for the horn I would love to know. I've built a few harnesses that connect to standard BMW horns and I've always had to use some "borrowed" bike-side connectors on the new harness to connect to the stock BMW horns that I've added.

Searching eBay finds a lot of connectors for BMW cars and some that actually look like the horn side connector but I've never found anything for the bike side connector. Any suggestions?

If the OP ever figures out how to depress the clip and remove the connector this might help with the rest
    https://www.nippynormans.com/horns-a...can-bus-wiring