About to buy 2013 F800GT - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

12 Hours Ago
    Hello everyone, next week I will travel a couple hundred miles to purchase the bike. I intend to trailer it home (would prefer to ride it but logistics prevent that option) and am concerned about strapping it down - how best to do so without damaging the fairings. Any tips ? I’m an old dirt biker that never worried about such a thing ! My current ride is a 2016 Honda Africa Twin and I am thrilled to be adding the GT to my toy box. A dream tour from CA to NY solo on the GT during the summer of 2020 is in the works.

2. LikesTheMeteor liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Welcome,

I've never had to trailer mine so unable comment on best place to tie it down. If it's got the center stand option I strongly suspect suitable tie down points will become self evident.

Hope you enjoy the bike.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Gerry
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Hi, Slodoug. I have never had to trailer either so cannot comment. However, I wanted to say, "welcome". The cross country sounds exciting and is something which I wish to do someday as well. I hope you share some thoughts as you plan and do the trip.

My longest was NJ to NC for a trip of several days. The F8 played the role and did great for a solo rider. For me - the ergos are very good. Since then I have added Sargent seat which mean all the more comfort. I often ride +250 mile days regionally.

Good luck and enjoy.
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l 2016 GSX S1000 (Naked & Blue)
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Cramer
    16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I can't imagine that it's much different from my ST. I've always ran nylon extention straps around the top of the bottom bracket to normal straps down to the floor. They won't touch the fairings as long as the tie down point isn't too wide. I've had no troubles in the back of my pick up. Do not use the handle bars. In the back i just attach the straps to the frame next to the rear foot peg mounts. Compress the suspension about half way to make sure it's tight enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Tim
    8 Hours Ago
    From the owner's manual:

"At the front, secure the straps to the bottom fork bridge on both sides and tighten the straps. At the rear, secure the straps to the rear footrests on both sides and tighten the straps. Tighten all the straps uniformly; the vehicle's suspension should be compressed slightly front and rear."

The manual says NOT to use either the side stand or center stand. Good luck, and enjoy the new ride!

9. LikesMGD109, TheMeteor liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Welcome to the "F"amily and enjoy the new toy.
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

12 Hours Ago
    Thank you all for the information and welcoming words, I really appreciate it ! If all goes according to plan Saturday the 4th I will trailer the bike home. I’ll let you know how it goes. Joining the “F”amily will be a great start to the new year !

Real Name
    Guido
    1 Day Ago
    welcome to the forum
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Welcome to the forum from the coast of Kansas! Glad to have you with us.

One trailing point not yet mentioned is for you to definitely NOT cover the bike with any material that can work loose and flap. It will wear a spot in the finish of the bike for sure. I was amazed to discover what a small corner of a sheet (soft enough to sleep in!) did to a vehicle on about a two or three hour trailer ride. Please don't repeat my mistake.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

14. LikesRichard230, Turbocat liked this post

2 Weeks Ago
    Both front fork seals were leaking on my 2016 F800 GT and thankfully were replaced under warranty.

I bought this bike used -- the service team asked me if I had compressed the front forks/suspension during a transport/tie down activity. Apparently you can pop the seals if you compress it too much.

Enjoy the old/new ride -- it is a MARVELOUS motorcycle.

12 Hours Ago
    Yesterday I drove 240 miles to the BMW dealer in Concord, CA with my buddy’s small box trailer in tow. Test rode the bike for 15 miles or so, bought it and brought it home in the trailer. Following everyone’s tips for strapping it down the bike made it home just fine. I stopped along the way and checked on my precious load and was thrilled that it was upright and firmly in place after some rough sections of freeway lanes beat to sh*t by truck traffic.
    Tomorrow I will take my new ride for a local cruise to nearby beach communities.
    Can’t wait! Yes, sunny and high sixties in the land of year round riding. Thanks again everyone!

17. LikesRichard230, Daboo liked this post