Renewing the Rear Shock Absorber - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

15 Hours Ago
    I'll be sending my standard rear shock absorber off for a rebuild soon, so I was researching how to remove it. It doesn't look too complicated to do .

I was looking at the bushes/sleeves that sit in either end of the mounting points for the shock; is it advisable to replace this along with the bolts?
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jason A
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    I've never replaced any of the bolts or springs, but why not if you have the money I guess.
    Ive found I've had to take the bottom mounting bolts off of the rear frame and loosen the top bolts to swing that and the gas tank up out of the way.
    Its a two man job id say, at least it would make the removal of the shock easier.

I've been wanting to get the shock rebuilt but cant find anyone in Miami, theres gotta be someone somewhere in south Florida.
    Im always spying eBay for a cheap used one and just replacing with those.
    Quote Originally Posted by batamali View Post
    Can you pass that $#it you,ve been smokin Arles?...
    yes i can...

Real Name
    Nigel
    1 Hour Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post

I was looking at the bushes/sleeves that sit in either end of the mounting points for the shock; is it advisable to replace this along with the bolts?
    If it's the rubber bush that forms part of the shock mount in the mounting eyes i.e. Motoworks part number SUA12147 I'd replace them as part of the refurb. Best leave whoever will be doing the work as I'll imagine they will need pressing out to replace.

Not removed rear shock on an F800 but I've always managed to get them removed from all other bikes when needed on my own. A small car Jack and various lumps of wood being my friends.

Out of interest, who are you planning to use to refurb the shock?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

15 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerBits View Post
    If it's the rubber bush that forms part of the shock mount in the mounting eyes i.e. Motoworks part number SUA12147 I'd replace them as part of the refurb. Best leave whoever will be doing the work as I'll imagine they will need pressing out to replace.

Not removed rear shock on an F800 but I've always managed to get them removed from all other bikes when needed on my own. A small car Jack and various lumps of wood being my friends.

Out of interest, who are you planning to use to refurb the shock?

In the top is a metal sleeve which goes in through the eye hole, I'll check it for wear before ordering a new one.

I am looking at http://firefoxracing.co.uk/rear-shock-rebuild-service. Takes 2 weeks or so for full turn around time they say, so penning it for a date when I won't be using it.

Real Name
    Nigel
    1 Hour Ago
    Thanks DJ123, Firefox look to be a good option especially if you've ESA on the bike.

My last F8GT was at around 42,000 when I traded her in for my current one. The suspension was still serviceable but was past it's best and would have benefited from a refurb.

Good to have a further option when I get near that sort of mileage on my current F8GT. Any chance you could post a review after you get the work done?

Have a safe New Year.

15 Hours Ago
    I'll definitely post a review once its done. Will probably wait until the end of March or so as it'll need new tyres by then too.

Mine has covered 45k now, and I am assuming this is the standard shock untouched. Still feels ok but certainly needs a refresh - and I will look in to a respring too if the current one is not giving me the best.

Real Name
    bever
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    looking forward to the review (((-;

Real Name
    Steve
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    I had my rear shock rebuilt for the ST years ago when then seal leaked ($250au for rebuild compared to $1800au for a new one)
    It would've cost more for a revalve, etc, but I was happy with the standard setting for what I did with it.
    Once rebuilt the suspension felt a lot better anyway.
    If you search the forum for "Krooztune" my previous threads will come up as they were the company that rebuilt the shockie.

Super was correct in that the bottom Sub-frame mounting bolts have to be removed and the top ones loosened to swing the sub-frame up slightly to make life easier.
    I just used a ratchet strap from the rear of the sub-frame to the roof of the garage to hold it up while getting the shock in and out.
    As of Mon, 1st Feb 2016- ;
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery,
    Today is a gift (that's why it's called "the present")
    #1 tip I ride by: Ride as though you're invisible, not invincible
    Bikes so far: Honda CB250-Traded, Suzuki GS500F-Traded, '07 F800ST Matt Graphitan-Deceased, '10 F800ST Night Blue-sold, at present bikeless