Gloop in the rear tyre - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Week Ago
    I know you are not supposed to do this, why I fail to understand but..........I want to pour "Gloop" puncture prevention into mt rear tyre. When I have done this in the past I never knowingly had any ill effects.

The problem is, how do I get it past the valve positioned on one of the spokes on the wheels? Do I unscrew the "bolt type valve" in the hope it is sealed by means of an O ring? Do I remove the valve innards and pour the Gloop through the valve in the hope that the hole through the spoke is large enough for the liquid to past?

Any Thoughts Guys?

Regards Tedfred

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    7 Hours Ago
    I dumped Slime into my Zero's rear tire in an attempt to seal a puncture that I couldn't find. What I did was to remove the valve core to squirt the stuff into the wheel. While I am not looking forward to changing the tire, at least the stuff is "water soluble" and hopefully will clean up well. I might add that after about 1K miles, the tire started leaking air pressure again, along with green slime. But with the leaky Slime I was able to locate the very thin piece of wire that was causing the leak.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

3 Hours Ago
    Personally I'm anti gloop but that's just my opinion many riders are happy with it.
    I'm proficient around tyres as I worked as a fitter in my youth, I carry a stop n go tyre plugger other systems are available.
    Tedfred is your bike fitted with bmw's tyre pressure monitoring system TPMS and if so will gloop affect its operation?

5. Likestedfred liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I'd be hesitant in using Gloop. Even though I've used Slime in the past, I'd be hesitant in using it...especially prophylactically.

Ride-On tyre sealant is made to work with TPMS. Slime has versions that are TPMS safe, but others that aren't. It must make a difference then. I'm not familiar with Gloop.

The only time I put Slime in without an existing puncture, it didn't work out well. I got a large roofing nail that went in...and back out...at 60 mph. The tyre was spinning so fast, the Slime couldn't do a thing to plug the leak and so sprayed out all over the underside of the wheel area. I think it would've worked out well though, if I'd been carrying a Slime SPAIR kit (bottle of Slime and air pump) and put the Slime in once I found the leak.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    The dealer that sold me my BMW's tried to get me to have them slime, gloop some sort of tire snot during a service. So the process must not be too difficult. Of course when they hopefully change your tires again they will charge for cleaning up the mess they created in the first place and gloop your tires again in the process. neat-o!
    Richard and Chris' experience with slime in not making me want to use something that fails easily.

Real Name
    Marcus
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    I would refrain from any anti-puncture slime stuff for any wheels with TPMS, whether it is marketed as TPMS-friendly or not. I just carry tyre plug kit and compressed air canister (or 12V tyre pump if you wish) on my bike every time.

10. LikesN4HHE liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    7 Hours Ago
    Here are more details regarding my experience with Slime: After using it in my Zero's tire, after a few hundred miles it started to leak green fluid from the hole, which at least was useful to help me locate it. I then was able to plug the hole with a Stop and Go tire plugger. Unfortunately, the plug almost immediately flew out of the tire and caused the tire to immediately go flat. A second attempt at plugging had the same result. Apparently, what happened was that the Slime was acting as a lubricant, resulting in the plug being dislodged from the tire tread due to centrifugal force.

What I finally did to seal the hole was to rotate the tire so that the hole was upward and would not leak Slime, clean it thoroughly with alcohol, roughen up the hole with the kit's rasp and then reinsert another Stop and Go plug. That repair has lasted for the past 500 miles without any loss of air pressure. So my suggestion is to use Slime and related products as a temporary emergency tire sealing solution if no better system is available or will work, such as for sealing a hole so small that it can not be plugged without using an electric drill to make it larger.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    I had an experience with a flat a the Beartooth rally. Pull a large construction nail out of the rear and used one of those devices that stretches the plug to insert. It worked all the way back to Pocatello Id. Then it let go. Tired again with the worm style and after a couple worms didn't do it, I called the tow service and got a new tire sent.
    There is only so much those plugging devices can do. I've had better luck with the worms subsequently though.
    Those aerosol stop leak cans have not been inspiring either.

1 Week Ago
    Interesting points about the TPMS ? Though I thought the principle upon which the TPMS worked was monitoring the change in tyre's circumference due to the loss in pressure?
    So I do not understand how Gloop would affect this? It's an interesting point though and I will look at it again. I was worried whether the Gloop/Slime would be able to pass through the small cannula in the wheel spoke without blocking it on the F800GT?

Thanks for your responses thought, I will re-think the benefits of Gloop/Slime.

Regards Tedfred

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    This is what the other side looks like. If you want to squirt Gloop into it...and pay more money that you will believe it costs to fix it if something goes wrong...go right ahead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPMS.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	854.9 KB 
ID:	353003

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TPMS1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	353005

Chris

15. Likestedfred, oxytotl liked this post

1 Week Ago
    OK Daboo,

I was wrong , I am convinced , there's no way I am using gloop.

Thanks You for the images

Regards

Tedfred

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Tedfred, I've used Slime since 2007 and it has worked well for me, except for that one time. I like that it takes no skill to fix a tyre, and I've seen the repairs hold for 14,000 miles on one tyre.

With that said, I had a puncture a couple months ago and used a mushroom plug from a Stop-n-Go tyre repair kit. It worked well, and even a non-mechanic like me could repair the tyre using it.

As I think about it, I think you might be able to put it in through the tyre valve stem. Once you put it in, you're putting air in that should clean out the inside of the TPMS. But it might be better to take that chance when you get the puncture, rather than taking a chance.

Chris

18. Likestedfred liked this post

2 Weeks Ago
    Rather than Slime a tire, as an emergency road repair, I would use a can of aerosol tire sealant after the fact, rather than proactively. I did this on a rally 3 years ago. A friend's rear tire was losing about 15 PSI every 24 hours. We removed the valve stem, put some sealant in the tire, then rotated it slowly, until the stuff started oozing out the hole, which was at the 6:00 o'clock position. We left it that way overnight. It lost some air overnight, so we pumped it up to 5 PSI above recommended pressure the next day and set off from Spearfish, SD to Fort Collins, CO. A mid-day check showed that it was down a few PSI, so we added some air. Arriving at Fort Collins, it was at the same pressure as at mid-day, and leaked no more for the rest of the trip.

However, I did use some Slime on a dirtbike with tubed tires. The rear tire was losing ~5 psi/week after new tires were installed with a freshly installed tube. It's possible that something was damaged while installing the tire, but I didn't feel like dismounting it to check because the leak was fairly minor. About 2 weeks after putting some slime into the tube, the leak stopped. That was 9 months ago, and it hasn't leaked since.

Real Name
    James
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Hello folks,
    Here is my .02$ worth.
    I have ridden with the Ride-On product in my rear tires for ~12 years on a Suzuki Vstrom 1k. I put over 45k miles on that bike. It did not have TPMS.
    I traded for the new to me 2016 F8GT with 7k miles on the clock the end of August 2019. I loved having the Ride-On in the rear tire on the Vstrom as it stopped multiple small leaks in tires over the years, 5-6 different tires as the 1K had lots torque and would eat a rear tire in 7k miles.

Anyway, after getting the F8GT I contacted the dealer in Ferndale Washington. They have been a Ride-On dealer since I started using the product all those years ago. At the time they were the only Ride-On dealer in the state.
    They are now a BMW dealer, have been for a few years now. I talked to the mechanic (tech) whom usually works the Ride-On product. He said that while the TPMS is mostly sealed on the F8GT it is integrated with the valve. He felt that it would be a very poor decision to use the Ride-On with F8GT as he felt the unit on the inside of the wheel would be fine but the Ride-On may gum up the part in the valve causing the unit to need replacing. He said I could purchase the Ride-On on put in myself but he would not feel comfortable doing it.

If I had $$$ to burn and a hi-pressure air hose to blow the valve clear right after the dose of Ride-On, I would probably give a try. But I need new tires instead, soon.
    I really do like the product and found it to do the job as intended.

I recently got a leak in the rear on the F8GT. I have the pocket plugger and a electric air pump. I noticed the slow leak but could not find the culprit. The rear would lose ~4-5 lbs a week. One day I was washing the bike and low and behold soapy bubbles from the rear tire! Still no object in the tire. As far I could tell it was a very small object probably one of the those largeish copper staples used in heavy boxes. I did not want to use the plugger as the hole was so small. The Pocket Plugger would've made a 1/4" hole in the tire for the mushroom plug, they work great but. I wound up ordering DynaPlug Repair Kit. The plugs in the kit are less then 1/8" hence a lot smaller hole.
    Short Story made long..........I glad I found the DynaPlug. It works the treat and fits in the pouch the Pocket Plugger came in which I store under the seat on the left rear plastic fairing.
    But, and this is a big Butt, the moral of the short long story is.........If the tire had Ride-On in it I would never have known nor had to deal with the hole in the first place!

I like having the TPMS. I check my tires before each ride and every morning if on a trip. I do not commute by bike.
    Sometimes a tire feels a bit off as in maybe losing air. Without TPMS I would have to pull-over and check in a safe pull-off as I ride a lot of narrow shoulder to no shoulder 2 lane roads. I prefer to fix a tire in a nice wide area not on the side of the road if possible. With the TPMS I can just hit a button a couple of times and check without needing to stop etc etc. Peace of mind while riding is nice.

Even though I really like the Ride-On product and the job it does I would not want to lose TPMS at the expense of using the Ride-On.

Yes I am also the one you see with the bike on the center stand at fuel and rest stops checking the rear tire for issues.
    Again I would prefer to find a nail or screw in a nice parking area and fix it there then having to fix it later on the side of the road in the rain.

My perfect storm for tires would be TPMS and Ride-On.

I hope ya'll enjoyed the Novelette,
    ~James~

21. Likestedfred liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    If you need new tires soon, just have the mechanic put the Ride-On in the tire while the bead is broken before airing it up the first time.

Chris

Real Name
    James
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    See, now there is a succinct reply. Straight to the point. No Novelette needed.
    Good idea Chris.

I have inspected a dismounted tire that had Ride-On it for 7k miles and the stuff does not migrate.
    It coats the center main contact patch and stays put.
    It should not get in the valve after they mount it as it kind of forms a coating with centrifugal force and does not remain a liquid.
    It should spin into place when they spin balance after mounting the tire.
    I normally only bother doing the rear tire anyway so if the did the front first the rear should go faster on this bike given the single sided swing arm.
    Just typing out loud here.
    Now, I wonder if the shop would actually agree to it or try to use the insurance disclaimer.
    Best to call and ask before getting some.
    ~James~

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I did a little test with Slime years ago. I put it in shortly after mounting the tire and finding a small itty-bitty puncture. Long story short, it worked well for about 4 punctures (I was really unlucky with that tire!), and 14,000 miles. When it was dismounted, I found the same thing. The Slime was in the tread section of the tire and had become tacky, not liquid.

I really would come back hard if they want to make an insurance issue out of it. I'd shut down that argument immediately. They sell the stuff. They probably sell Slime also...for about half the price. The only potential is that the TPMS has an issue...not that the wheel will disintegrate while going down the road. If the TPMS has an issue, it doesn't stop the bike. It only gives you a warning light on the dash. It's your risk, not theirs.

And if they still balk...take your business elsewhere. Or break the bead yourself. It's not hard.

Chris

Real Name
    James
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    To those who my be interested in this topic.

I called two local motorcycle shops in North Western Washington State.
    Both are BMW dealers. The Ferndale dealer said he would agree to put the Ride-On in when mounting the rear tire at my request, with reservation.
    He did say if it were his F8GT with TPMS he personally would NOT do it.

The other dealer said no problem. They would put the Ride-On in if I supplied it as they do not carry it. They do carry a similar product from Polaris.
    The parts guy said they mostly use it in ATV tires and they only have it in 1 gal bottles @73$ USD!
    The parts guy said the Polaris product is safe for TPMS systems even when filled through the valve.

I personally would not do it that way with the BMW system. I believe the safest bet would to add it to the tire when it is being mounted.

I looked up the Polaris product online and found no mention of it being specifically safe for TPMS systems nor did it say it was bad for them.

Ride-On also balances. The Polaris makes no mention of any tire balancing properties.

Neither person I spoke with at either dealer has had first hand knowledge of anyone adding Ride-On to a BMW with the TPMS system. So they could not attest to any issues in using it with the BMW TPMS system.

I will be adding Ride-On to my new rear tire when it is mounted.
    I know the product works. I would prefer the Ride-On took care of the small holes that happen as in my post above.
    Chasing that small hole, then plugging, even with the smaller plugger, is less preferable to me then using the Ride-On. I feel the Ride-On will be fine if added when the tire is mounted.
    Yes my tune would change if it somehow effects the TPMS but I do not believe it will.

Yes I am still riding on the plugged rear tire. I have put over 1k miles on the plugged tire so far without issue or loss of air. The hole was in one of the valleys to the right of center.
    I have not had any issues riding on plugged tires in the past and none, so far, with this tire either. YMMV.
    I can not afford to replace a tire just because it has a small hole in the centerish area of the tire.

It angers me that dealer try to claim insurance reasons for no longer patching tires.
    Anyway that is for another thread.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Ride-On nor do I sell their product. I am just a satisfied user of their product for over 10 years and multiple tires on a Suzuki without TPMS.

~James~

Real Name
    Alyn
    7 Hours Ago
    A bit late to the party here. Tyre sealant is great for tubed tyres, if done properly. A tubed tyre will catastrophically fail when punctured and if is a front then you will probably crash!! Tubeless tyres deflate slowly and are rarely catastrophic. I have had experiences with both. The best things to have with tubeless tyres is a mini compressor or gas canisters plus tyre rope or try plugs. With tubed tyres I have tried preventative gunk and ruined the tyre valves. I have used repair aerosols and they have got me back to civilisation. Let's face it, you WILL get a puncture at some time. Because I am old and want to live longer I will always replace a tube or tyre that has been punctured as soon as I can.

Real Name
    Richard
    7 Hours Ago
    James, around here BMW dealers will not put anything in tires that are not specifically approved by BMW or the tire manufacturers. And you know that Slime and the like are not approved by either industry. Personally, I am the only person that I know of (firsthand) that has ever used Slime and I remain convinced that it is more of an emergency repair than one that should be relied upon for the life of the tire.

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by jtvisions View Post
    ...It angers me that dealer try to claim insurance reasons for no longer patching tires.
    As the saying goes, "follow the money". If they patch a tire, they get only a little money off the labor. If they replace the tire, they get a lot of money off the tire purchase.

There was a shop I used to go to that had some great mechanics. I bought several tires from them, and in some cases because the rear would wear out quicker, I'd end up with a mis-match in tire brands for awhile. Then they got a new manager and their philosophy changed. The same mechanic who used to take care of my bike told me with a straight face that it was totally unsafe to not replace tires in matched sets. I walked out of there and found a new place to do business with.

I've read somewhere that a tire puncture will seal itself over time. There was something about how the rubber re-vulcanizes from the heat. I can't find anything in writing, but here's a video that I found amusing.

Chris

29. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    James
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Ok, I do not know how this topic moved to be a Slime topic that was not my intention.

I personally would not let a bottle of Slime closer then 10ft of my motorcycle. Unless I was running errands with my motorcycle and picked up some Slime to use in my riding lawn mower tires!
    We have a lot of Rouge Blackberry bushes around our place. If you don't Slime your mower tires you can't mow because you tires are flat from the Blackberry tines.
    Anyway, moving along.

Ride-On is a totally different critter then Slime. Ride-On has different formulations for different applications. Check their website.

IMHO Slime is mainly for slow speed utility tires like lawn mowers, wheel barrows, and utility yard carts. Probably OK for ATV but I wouldn't want it MY ATV wheels if I owned one.
    I have seen first hand how Slime had caused rust inside a lawn tractor wheel over time.

Also I believe for the Ride-On to work correctly one needs to have it in the tire before the puncture occurs not after as a repair.

I carry 2 different tire pluggers and a 12volt pump at all times. Some of the roads I ride on are out of cell tower range so one needs to
    be prepared to rescue oneself. Even if I were in Cell range I do not have the patients to wait for someone to maybe show up in a timely manner.

I do not depend on the Ride-On to plug a large screw or nail hole but for the small hard to find and fix punctures like small copper box staple I recently
    acquired in my non Ride-On treated F8GT rear tire. What a PITA to find and fix.

As I mentioned above. I do not sell nor work Ride-On I am just a happy customer of their product.

Today I send off an Email to the Ride-On folks concerning applying their product though the valve stem on our F8GT. I will post their reply here when I get it.

As always. Ride as YOU feel comfortable. Fix or prevent as YOU feel comfortable.

I also feel some companies and dealers are getting a bit uppity on what THEY think we should be allowed to do with OUR motorcycle. End of small rant.

My reply to the OP was to express my personal view, experience, and knowledge as applied to his question and what I knew based on my local research with
    BMW dealers about using Ride-On and TPMS. I had not owned a motorcycle with a TPMS before.

Have the best rest of the day/nite you can,
    ~James~

31. LikesRev Ken liked this post

Real Name
    James
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    For those interested in this and for the archives/search.

I received a response to my email to Ride-On Monday but waited to post until I got permission to post the reply from Ride-On on this Forum. I received permission yesterday.

Fridays permission:

"Hello James:

Thank you for your kind e-mail and patronage of our Ride-On products. Yes you may post my response to your question. Until we have more information about what has cause problems for a few of our many BMW customers we will err on the side of caution and tell our BMW customers with TPMS systems to not install through the valve stem and install our Ride-On when replacing tires or by breaking the tire bead open and squirting the sealant into the tire through the opening between the tire and the rim.

This way, the Ride-On sealant will not come into direct contact with the valve stem or the TPMS.

Best Regards,
    Harry H. Farkhan"

My question to Ride-On: Do you know if your product is safe to install through the valve on my 2016 BMW F800GT motorcycle?

Harrys answer on Monday:

"Dear James:

Thank you for your inquiry below about your BMW motorcycle with the factory TPMS system. Personally, I have heard of one instance of a BMW owning customer calling us and telling us that he had a problem with his TPMS system after installing our Ride-On sealant through the valve stem. He called and said that his check TPMS light came on after he rode his bike for a few miles.

As the trouble shooting engineer taking his call, I mentioned to him the our sealant might have covered up the air pressure sensor’s port on the body of the TPMS senor. Something that can easily be cleaned. We never heard back from him, so I do not know what finally happened with him. In this gentleman’s case, he had bought our bottles and installed the sealant by himself, so no dealer was involved.

Just to be safe in you application, we would recommend that you install our Ride-On into the tire by breaking the tire bead and injecting the sealant through the bead opening. Bypassing the valve stem altogether. Done this way, we have never heard of any issues with the sensors.

Now regarding treating only the rear tire. We highly recommend that you treat both tires. It is true that you suffer most of your flats in the rear tire, but installing our Ride-On sealant in the front tire gives you the benefits of a better ride (balanced for the life of the tire) but it will also help your tires last much longer (20%+). This is not to mention the puncture sealing bonus that you will have by having both of your tires treated with Ride-On.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,
    Harry H. Farkhan"

So there your have it from the Manufacturer regarding their product and the BMW TPMS system on our bikes.

Once again, Disclaimer: I do not work for Ride-On nor do I sell their product. I'm just a long term happy customer of their product for motorcycles.

Have the best rest of the day/nite U can,
    ~James~

33. LikesRichard230, tedfred liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Hi Jt Visions,
    Now you have opened up another can of worms? You quote the Harry Farkham as saying
    "Now regarding treating only the rear tire. We highly recommend that you treat both tires. It is true that you suffer most of your flats in the rear tire, but installing our Ride-On sealant in the front tire gives you the benefits of a better ride (balanced for the life of the tire) but it will also help your tires last much longer (20%+). This is not to mention the puncture sealing bonus that you will have by having both of your tires treated with Ride-On."

I have never seen Ride-On in the Uk but would certainly make a greater effort to find a can of it if I was convinced that it helps my tyres last 20% longer??????????????
    Without wishing to sound offensive in any way, this must me miraculous stuff if it keeps the tread on the tire??? I am afraid I have my doubts, either that or I have totally missed the point?

Regards to all

Tedfred

Real Name
    James
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    For whom this may interest.
    Today I had a BMW dealer install new tires on my 2016 F8GT.
    I chose Michelin Road 5 front and rear. I had PR4's on a previous bike and liked them.
    The Metzlers that came on this bike had to go! They still had some wear left but I didn't like them nor trust them in the rain.

The dealer also, against their Tech's advice and opinion, put in the Ride-On I supplied.
    The Tech just knew it would kill the TPMS!

Well I had them install the Ride-On into each tire as they were mounting them, as Chris and the Ride-On rep suggested.

The tires were mounted late in the day so I only have 50ish miles on them.
    Low and behold............drum roll......so far the TPMS is working normally in both the front and rear wheel and displaying on the dash.

I also had them strip off the previous wheel weights and NOT balance the tires as the Ride-On balances continuously.

So far the tires run well.

I have witnessed a dismounted tire from my Vstrom 1K that had 7500 miles on it. The Ride-On basically turns into a paste that sticks to the Contact Patch of the tire and does NOT get all over the inside of the wheel.

If this changes and the TPMS dies an unnatural death, not death by battery, I will post again.

Keep the shinny side up. If you can't tell which side that is..............wash your ride.

~James~

36. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    My wife's Prius got a leak in the rear tire. The new Prius' don't have a spare tire. They give you a bottle of something like Ride-On and an air compressor. I decided to leave her bottle intact and put some Slime in instead. It's working fine.

Oh...and the Prius comes with TPMS, so Toyota is pretty certain the "gloop" in the tire won't hurt anything.

Chris