BMW F800 Forum banner

Seeking Advice on used 2016 GT

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  WildWilly 
#1 ·
What do the wise sages(ets) have to say? Is continued warranty at $450 a year seem reasonable? Seems like a solid deal?
BMW F800GT Montego Blue like new only 2600 hundred miles. Heated grips, center stand, stability control , BMW Hard touring cases and touring windshield. Showroom condition,
Warranty until 5/10/20 also can extend for a fee. ($450/yr)

#4 ·
If you're happy with the cost then buy the insurance, i.e. extended warranty, but if I've read this right, the bike is 3-4 years old with 2600 miles on the class clock?

If that's the case, you'd have to be pretty unlucky to have to make a claim with that amount of annual usage. I'd be inclined not too bother to be honest.

Ride safely.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

#6 ·
First, let me welcome you to the forum. When you get a moment, can I ask two things of you? First, give us a proper introduction. Here's the link. https://f800riders.org/forum/forumdisplay.php/92-New-F800-(and-F650GS-Twin!)-Owner-Introductions We'd like to welcome you properly. And if you can add your location to your profile, it would be nice. Where you live in the world, does make a difference. :)

If you can look at, and do a test ride of the bike, I'd say skip the extended warranty. If you're buying a bike located somewhere else and can't see it first, the extended warranty would be a nice insurance policy.

If you tell us where you live and where the bike is located if different, one of us might be able to stop by and check the bike out for you.

Chris

#7 ·
Providing the bike has had its annual services, recall service (side stand switch) and everything is functioning as it should then paying an extra $450 does just one thing; give you peace of mind. This sort of insurance is a bit like blackmail; all of those "what ifs" that may or may not happen. I have a 2013 model and it has been bullet proof, but I did buy it new and I know exactly what has been done to it. In all that time I have had a headlight globe fail and a puncture. I haven't added a lot of accessories, just an extra power socket on the dashboard. I have a lot of bikes, some restored and some not. One of them is over 70 years old and I have covered over 20,000 miles on it since I restored it in 2007. Mainly rallies and club events etc. I can confidently wheel it out, check the tyres and ride 500 miles. A three year old bike should have no issues for another ten years. It basically comes down to the size of your wallet and your degree of confidence. Good choice of bike though.

#11 ·
That's the iffy part of any vehicle warranty. Is it wear and tear? Or something covered under warranty?

Like any insurance policy (which it really is), you're betting the bike will fail, and the manufacturer is betting it won't. They usually win.

And a lot depends on variables that aren't consistent....like the integrity of the dealership and the manufacturer's rep.

Chris

#12 ·
I have always wondered, what parts of a motorcycle are not subject to "wear and tear"?

#15 ·
I'm thinking that the handlebars fall into this category. ;)

And if you have a Madstad windscreen, the OEM windscreen falls into the category of not being subject to "wear and tear". :D

Chris

#13 ·
Only my second post so no expert on the F series. However I’ve bought a lot of second hand bikes over the years. The GT I have purchased didn’t have the option of extended warranty but I wouldn’t have taken it anyway. I am satisfied it’s a genuine bike that has been looked after and I am confident It will be ok for some time. Obviously it’s your money but with a low mileage bike as described, the chances are the insurer (warranty provider) will win the money.

#16 ·
At 14,500 miles I was told my head and front wheel bearings were on the way out and needed replacing. Must be all those wheelies I pull and riding the motorcycle through so many adverse weather conditions - I think not! My solution was to part-ex the bike, for another F800GT. The new one has a two year warranty and 1000 miles on the clock to date. Based on what others have said I just hope the head bearings don't go on this one too. Such a pity that they don't seem to last and when they do go the warranty doesn't cover. I still think it's a great bike though.

#17 ·
I would probably pay the $450 for the first year then not. Don't =know how many miles you plan to put on it. I bought my 2016 a year and a half ago with 4,500 miles on it. Warranty good till March or April of this year. It's going in this week for the 24,000 mile service. Took it in last week but they had to order parts. Said it was the first F800 they had had for the 24,000 mile service. I bought a 3 year service plan with the bike for $1,500 which also guarantees a one day turn around on service - like that so it doesn't sit for weeks waiting.. This is the 3rd service on the bike and so far it better than paying for them. Normally I do all my own work. Have had one warranty claim which BMW honored - had an overheating issue to to an air bubble in the radiator. Nice part of service plan and warranty is the dealer is the only place that has ever done anything to the bike. No finger pointing. Most of the miles are from long trips. I'll probably have the option to extend the warranty soon.

#19 ·
I too have picked up a used 2016 Blue in color 800GT..but mine only had about 300 or so miles upon purchase. No issues yet with 3k in miles so far other than a bit of what I call excessive belt dust..had my local dealer readjust the belt tension after they said it was a bit tight under warranty..

#20 ·
When I brought mine new couple years back was offered the X-W and said no, 6 months later get a letter saying my bike was due for a 6 month service, phoned them up and was told I was not meant to get that letter it is only for the X-W people and yes have to service it every 6 moths or X-W is void. This is in Australia Qld

#21 ·
Les, that seems odd. Why don't they stick with the standard BMW service schedule? BMW engineers devised it based on component and fluid life, so it seems to be a "rip off" to essentially halve the service interval. I am not convinced by these warranties. When I bought my 18 FGT it had 10 months original warranty left on it. That was deleted in favour of a longer 2 year approved used warranty. Now I have some paintwork issues that the extended warranty doesn't cover but the original warranty would have. Problem is, the original warranty was deleted, even though it should currently still have 6 months to run. BMW have asked me to get the paintwork assessed as a warranty claim then they will decide if my void original warranty can be re-invoked. I'll reserve judgement on this warranty thing when I hear back from them.

#22 ·
Many thanks for all the sage advice. I test rode the bike and just couldn't get comfortable with the stock handlebar/seating position. I know a common mod is a to raise/extend the handlebars, but didn't feel good buying a bike with the hope I'd feel more comfortable after I modified it. Again, thank you for all the advice. It was helpful getting a better view into warranty issues. All the best. BL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.