2015 F800 GT crash bars - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '03 Softail Convertible CVO
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    Opnions on the best crash bars for an 2015 F800GT. Photos and links would be much appreciated

The Mick
    "AND THE DAWN COMES UP LIKE THUNDER.." 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    As far as I'm aware only the Wunderlich is currently available for the GT. There are a few threads on the forum regards fitting and general thoughts. I have them and to me they do spoil the lines of the bike but they are a very handy place to mount auxiliary lights and whilst I'm not sure they would offer to much protection in a get off at speed for the stop and drop situation I'm sure they'd save a lot of expense on replacement plastics.

In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '03 Softail Convertible CVO
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    Difficult to Install and pricy? I have GIVI monkey bags mounted and they may offer some protection, but not sure how much.
    "AND THE DAWN COMES UP LIKE THUNDER.." 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mick48 View Post
    Difficult to Install and pricy? .........
    Less than £200 in the UK from Nippy Normans. It terms of fitting I've stated a couple of times that the trick for me is replacing the two allen headed bolts that Wunderlich supply to fasten crash bars to the engine with studs and bolts, it reduces the buggerment factor considerable. On the reviews left at Nippy Normans one suggests it's a two man job to fit the bars. I've done it the Wunderlich method single handed but I would have been very great-full for a second pair of hands it would reduce the possibility of scratching the fairing a lot. Because of that experience and worries about the need to be able to remove the bars for cleaning/annual application of rust inhibitor I gave some thought to making the job easier. Doing it the MGD109 method is very easy one man operation. If I needed to replace my GT I would not hesitate to get another and fit the bars but I would not entertain using the supplied bolts.

Nippy Norman review.

https://www.nippynormans.com/f800gt/...productreviews

Thread on the bars

https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...ght=crash+bars
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Chris
    27 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mick48 View Post
    ...I have GIVI monkey bags mounted and they may offer some protection, but not sure how much.
    Well, there is one way to find out...

I have 37 liter SW-Motech Trax cases on mine. I've dropped the bike a couple times on a stop and drop (SAD). The cases pretty much absorbed the majority of the damage...and they are so rugged, you couldn't tell I'd dropped the bike. My only damage was a scraped bar end weight and a broken lens for the turn signal. The turn signal lens cost about $16 on eBay to replace. And the bar end weight cleaned up well with a bit of touch-up paint.

I did drop the bike once while trying to be nice to the local UPS delivery driver. He was at the top of the driveway leading to my house, so I let him out before going down the driveway and hill myself. Well, there's a small hump in the road to get over before heading down the hill and I didn't have enough speed as I went over...lost my balance...and dropped the bike. Being on a steep hill, it slid some and came down harder than the normal SAD. Same turn signal lens had to be replaced. I did put a small crack in the right fairing and broke the tab down by the radiator. Fixing it turned out to be simple and inexpensive. I bought some plumber's glue and did the repair on the back side, and used some plastic to reinforce the broken tab. That glue made it harder it seems than it was originally. And from the outside, you can's see anything unless you're looking for the crack specifically.

I thought about buying the crash bars, but I'm not sure it is worth the cost. If I have a SAD, chances are the side cases will take most of the beating. And if I drop the bike at a higher speed, there's a good chance it would be turned into the insurance company...and they'll total the bike because of the potential damage under the fairings. And if I don't do either, by the time I sell the bike with a hundred thousand on the odometer, no one will care how pretty it is.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6