Air Bag Vest/Suit - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    We have had a bit of discussion of air bag vests recently on the forum and I think I may be a convert. I came across the following link on a non motorcycling forum today and it's made me think. Conventionally I am not one to view videos of crashes let alone post one. Not because I want to bury my head in the sand as to how dangerous our past time can be but out of respect for those involved, I don't want their misfortune to be my entertainment. The link is to a news article about an incident involving a motorcycle and car. The police are fairly adamant the incident would have been a fatality if the rider had not been wearing an air bag suit. The footage the police have released does make a strong case for air bag clothing. It's also interesting to note that in an non fatal accident the motorist receives a custodial sentence.

So what is the consensus from the forum, what is available, are there any CE standards (DOT) that apply, what are the pros and cons.

https://news.sky.com/story/dashcam-f...ision-11905785
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

18 Hours Ago
    As with any armour check the CE rating of the suit you are going to buy. However, be aware as the airbag rating system is different to that of normal hard armour.

For instance, the CE rating on the back protection of my Dainese vest is CE1. However this is 17 times the protection level of a standard back protector.

Dainese Smart Jacket Protection level:
    OLOMITICERT PROCEDURAL GUIDELINE:
    AIRBAG LEVEL 2 CHEST EN 1621-4 DC
    AIRBAG LEVEL 1 BACK EN 1621-4 CB
    DPI (2016/425)

Full safety info here
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, 

4. LikesMGD109 liked this post
    notacop is online The original Schwartz Wald Troll

22 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    I just checked my Helite jacket. It does have shoulder and elbow pads and a substantial back protector. In a normal get off it provides the same protection as the other riding apparel I have,such as Aerostich and BMW and Cycle Gear Bilt stuff. What it offers in addition to the normal armor is the inflated pads when activated that give the system some bounce factor to absorb impact.
    This stuff will become as normal to use as helmets and ear protection and protective fabric in the apparel as time goes on. Even guys on the electric bikes we will be riding eventually will benefit from air bag systems to protect their schmarmy butts.
    All the CE ratings will become sales points eventually. "Our Air Bag System is mo bettah than the other guys" sales pitches.
    Heck, there are new helmet designs that have a new isolation attachments of the foam that are supposedly better at protection of the head bone.
    We can only benefit from these improvements.

6. LikesMGD109 liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I was introduced to the idea of an airbag vest about the time a forum member on NT-Owners had an accident. He was an experienced rider and leading a small group. He came up on a corner...and he went straight. He doesn't remember why.

He almost died from the accident. He had no scrapes or head injuries. His riding gear protected him well from that. However, he had 17 broken bones in his chest, plus a crushed vertebrae and a fractured vertebrae. Our riding jackets protect us well in a slide, but will do nothing if we hit something like hit a tree.

Jackets were just coming out at the time, so there wasn't much choice. I still think a vest is the way to go. Getting a jacket means you have the airbag only when wearing that jacket. If you alternate from a winter jacket to a summer jacket, you'll need two airbag jackets. But with a vest, you make one purchase and you're good to go.

Vests come in two flavors it seems. The tethered and non-tethered. I think the initial cost is about the same. The cost over time will be much higher with the non-tethered type.

The tethered style are simple but effective. You attach a lanyard to the bike and clip it to the vest when you get on the bike. It becomes second nature to clip it on, and off in a short time. If you're worried about it inflating if you walk away from the bike, don't. I've never heard of anyone setting theirs off. And for me personally, I've walked away and been jerked back hard...and haven't set it off.

I have set mine off three times. With the first time, I ended up lying against a curb at a busy intersection and realizing I didn't hurt. I should've had a couple broken ribs, but didn't. It sold me.

Here's a difference between the tethered style and the non-tethered type. With the tethered style, you pick yourself up along with your injured pride and screw on a new CO2 bottle, and tuck the air bag back in. In five minutes, you're on your way. The non-tethered style use sensors to determine if you've parted ways with the motorcycle. It isn't just a matter of putting a new CO2 cartridge on. Now you have to return it to an authorized dealer, who then sends it into the company to have them check out the sensors and make sure it works as it should. You're out of using the vest for a couple weeks, and I believe the whole process of checking out the sensors, happens on your nickel. I think the cost is in the hundreds of $$$.

Whichever way you go, is far better than not using one. I consider it just as essential as a helmet or gloves.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

9. LikesMGD109, notacop liked this post

Real Name
    Phil
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 Drz400sm
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800R
    But with a vest, you make one purchase and you're good to go.
    Agreed. I have a Mugen Denko 'Hit Air' MLV-C harness with the optional spine protector. It's even less intrusive than a vest & I can wear it all year around over whatever jacket I'm using in the conditions.

It's a tethered-type so I just fit a tether to each of my bikes. Thankfully I've never had to use it
    Regards,
    Phil. 

11. LikesMGD109 liked this post

Real Name
    Ric
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '01 R1100S
    What sort of cost are they over here Phil?

Real Name
    Phil
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 Drz400sm
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800R
    About $800 for the MLV harness if memory serves. Check with Yvoir at Hit Air Australia
    Regards,
    Phil. 

22 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Daboo, the Helite I got came with a liner for cold weather but regular layering and the Gerbing heated jacket work for winter. The vents are passable with a wet vest in the 100+ degree temps I've ridden in. Some folks are less tolerable to temperature extremes and might not be satisfied. I know some folks can't stand any level of discomfort and make wardrobe changes frequently during the day. I've ridden with some and finally begged off the ride because of the stops. See Yah!

15. LikesMGD109 liked this post

10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Have seen several crashes with airbag inflation at the track. From my experience watching looks like the do make a significant difference. One photo sequence of a pretty nasty high side shows the airbag inflating well before she hit the ground. No injury and she was aggravated because the bike wouldn't restart - wanted to rejoin the race! I have seen low sides where the rider stayed close enough to the bike that the weather may not have been pulled but those crashes were not high speed and the rider was OK.

I have watched the street airbag vests and jackets closely and will probably get a Helite vest this year. They also stabilize the head which helps prevent neck injuries.

Real Name
    Chris
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoAl View Post
    ...They also stabilize the head which helps prevent neck injuries.
    The Hit-Air does too.

Take a look at pictures of each blown up before making your purchase. I rode with a Canadian last summer who had a Helite. It didn't look like his would offer as much protection as my Hit-Air does. But I may be wrong. Both offer the ability to have back protection, I think. I have a CE rated back protector in my riding jacket, so didn't worry about having it in the air bag vest also.

At the time I made my purchase, the Helite was almost $100 more than the Hit-Air. I think the prices have come down to be about equal now.

Chris

1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F 800 ST
    FWIW the guy who bought my Helite said that his previous airbag vest saved his life, so he was buying another for his son. Talked to the Alpine Star guys at the DC auto show and they said they are releasing a stand alone vest "soon".

I'll buy whatever is lightest and gives most protection. But for now I'm enjoying the feeling of riding just a little bit more free.

Cascade Locks, Oregon, US Roadpizza is offline Volunteer Moderator - Global

Real Name
    Philip
    12 Hours Ago
    I bought an Air-Hit some years ago and the quality of build was good; However the zipper I thought seemed too small for the requirements. The zipper became unusable about a year later. Still have the vest and have not found a shop to make repairs on the zipper.
    http://www.thefcconnection.com/pictu...the_week22.htm
    BMW F800S…….
    po tym jak zatwierdzę wiadomo¶ć

Ezekiel 23:19-20 

22 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    "I'll buy whatever is lightest and gives most protection."

The Helite jacket weighs in at about 8-9 pounds. Seems heavy carrying it around but I don't notice the weight when on the bike and moving.
    I'd rather a bit of inconvenience to have the protection than complain about the weight of my savior.
    The vests are going to weigh much less and be less obtrusive than the jacket.

21. LikesRoadpizza liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadpizza View Post
    I bought an Air-Hit some years ago and the quality of build was good; However the zipper I thought seemed too small for the requirements. The zipper became unusable about a year later. Still have the vest and have not found a shop to make repairs on the zipper.
    Try asking your local motorcycle store for who their tailor is. They'll have the sewing machines that can handle that heavy of material.

How the heck did you ruin the zipper? Just puzzled.

I'm like notacop. I don't notice the weight except when picking the jacket up off the back of a chair, especially since I take off everything (airbag vest, jacket, liner) together. As soon as it is on, the weight is gone.

Chris

Real Name
    Philip
    12 Hours Ago
    I didn't ruin the zipper. The zipper was not a very large one and it became worn very quickly and would not stay clasped if a little pressure was applied. It needed to be about twice the size and far stronger considering the work it was supposed to do. A strong YKK outdoor gear zipper is what should have been installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Try asking your local motorcycle store for who their tailor is. They'll have the sewing machines that can handle that heavy of material.

How the heck did you ruin the zipper? Just puzzled.

I'm like notacop. I don't notice the weight except when picking the jacket up off the back of a chair, especially since I take off everything (airbag vest, jacket, liner) together. As soon as it is on, the weight is gone.

Chris
    BMW F800S…….

Real Name
    Chris
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I just realized I have no zipper on mine. They used two large plastic clips that snap into one another. That's why I haven't had an issue.

You could do the same thing.

Chris

Real Name
    Philip
    12 Hours Ago
    There is a outdoor clothing company that manufactures in Hoodriver. I'll check them out and see if they can do something or point me to one who can. I never minded the vest and felt it was something that could be important when needed.
    BMW F800S…….

10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I had a local shoe shop do that sewed clips on my tank bag straps. In addition to shoe repairs they sew and repair bags and heavy fabric items.

Real Name
    Phil
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 Drz400sm
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800R
    They used two large plastic clips that snap into one another.
    Mine too.

Seems heavy carrying it around but I don't notice the weight when on the bike and moving.
    Agreed. I don't notice mine when I'm wearing it either.
    Regards,
    Phil. 

Real Name
    emlevy
    4 Days Ago
    I've been riding with a Helite airbag vest for about a year. I wear it over my armored Klim jacket and it's unobtrusive. On an Alps trip this past August, a fellow rider fell onto me as we were stopped on the shoulder of a highway, knocking me off my bike and onto the tarmac. The vest inflated. I was not injured (nor would I have been had I not been wearing the vest) but it was a comfort knowing the vest worked. Like others here, I consider it part of my ATGATT package. Replacement CO2 cartridges cost about $25 and can be installed in two minutes.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX | 2019 Honda Monkey 

22 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    emlevy, When I bought the jacket at the 49er BMW rally the dealer gave me an extra cartridge and the BMW parts vendor on site had a couple more on sale that I got. So I carry a spare on each bike. Might be handy to have around. A blow up vest/jacket ain't gonna work without it.

30. LikesRoadpizza liked this post