Issues with Cansmart 2.0 - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

01-13-20
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800GS ADV
    Hello fellow riders,

Has anyone had issues with their Denali cansmart 2.0 plug & play controller? I was remounting my lights when I noticed a torn ground wire. I fixed the wire finished mounting my lights, started the bike up & lights did not turn on. I checked all connections including the fuse everything checked out fine. I removed the cansmart wired up the lights without the CANsmart & boom they light up. I tried updating the firmware but my computer is not picking up any signal from the CANsmart no lights are flashing from it either. The system is just over a year old. I also tried to check to make sure the lights weren't on dimmed all the way to "0". Thoughts anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Kevin Huddy
    7 Hours Ago
    I recommend double checking your work since things changed when you changed something; continuity checks are called for. Could the shorted ground wire have arced and caused damage? The devices do just fail. If the device has failed, no matter the reason, you are unlikely to fix it. Hex Code, the company that makes the Hex ezCAN and I believes licenses Denali to build the CanSmart, is very good about replacing failed devices and Denali seems to be a good company as well. Contact the vender and see what they will do.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl

01-13-20
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800GS ADV
    Thank you Kevin. I was definitely planning to contact them tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be able to help me out. I don't want to spend $200 on another cansmart controller.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Your experience is why if I could do it again, I wouldn't install the ezCan controller I have, that is just like your Denali CANsmart controller. In your case, it failed in your garage. What if it failed out in the middle of nowhere, a couple hundred miles from home?

I had a Fuzeblock installed before. It really did all I needed and has no parts to fail.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    JR
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F750GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Single)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Your experience is why if I could do it again, I wouldn't install the ezCan controller I have, that is just like your Denali CANsmart controller. In your case, it failed in your garage. What if it failed out in the middle of nowhere, a couple hundred miles from home?

I had a Fuzeblock installed before. It really did all I needed and has no parts to fail.

Chris
    Glad you like the Fuzeblock, we had fun designing it . . .

8. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    JR
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F750GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Single)
    In 2013 I put a Hex EZCan on my 2014 R1200GS where it served admirably until last October when I transferred it to duty on my new 2019 F750GS. The thing has been through a lot and is still working as advertised. A friend has one on his R1200RT but it's the second one since the first was failed out of the box. The US supplier, Twisted Throttle (who also rebrands them under the Denali name), had some good tech support as we worked through the problem, but it was spotty depending upon who answered the phone. In the end the unit had to be replaced. They were good about it but then again the unit was new. The darned things are potted in a metal can for durability and other than the external wiring, completely unserviceable.

I hope they'll replace your unit, too. Keep us informed!