F800st 06 the mirrors are terrible - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    2 Weeks Ago
    Hi all,

I have an F800st 06 the mirrors terrible when I say terrible the move backwards when I’m ermm, making progress or on a private road the mirrors are ok in the way that I can see out of them, ok they seem a bit low as in I can see my hands and bar-ends.

This is not my first bike or my only bike, I have a S1000XR as well as the F800.

Here’s the question have any of you replaced the mirrors with anything better than the standard ones?

2. LikesDaboo liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Folks have been crying about the mirrors since the bike came out. Solution? put some extenders on the mount. Google the mirrors and get to it.
    Folks lament the mirrors on the DL650 too. Solution, change the mirrors.
    Some one asked about folding mirrors on the ST. I thought the mirrors on my ST would fold. It's been gone a long time but I seem to remember there being a detent that would allow them to fold back. Some one with an ST would be kind enough to check it out and be sure?
    These are personal issues with the bike depending on how you fit the ergonomics.

5. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Cramer
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    The mirrors are one of the few complaints that I have with this bike. Extenders help a little with functionality, but the view is still mostly of my elbows. Of course I've made my situation worse with bar risers and hand guards.

As for the folding, I've taken mine apart to clean up the washers which helped. Others have gone further and replaced the parts with their own creations to create more friction in that pivot point. Maybe a couple little scraps of sandpaper in there would help?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

7. LikesDaboo liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Sorry, Gary. Cannot help you as the mirrors on my ST (as well as all the other original bits) seem to fit me perfectly. Guess I am just lucky???

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Real Name
    Andrew
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    Some one asked about folding mirrors on the ST. I thought the mirrors on my ST would fold. It's been gone a long time but I seem to remember there being a detent that would allow them to fold back. Some one with an ST would be kind enough to check it out and be sure?
    These are personal issues with the bike depending on how you fit the ergonomics.
    I regularly fold in the mirrors on my ST. (Everytime I throw the dust cover over it.) It's a friction based system with a little indent at the fully extended mark.

I have extenders (3cm in length) and with a bit of adjustment of the mirror itself, I've got great visibility. Of course, the physical dimensions of your upper body will play a big role in what you see (elbows or traffic.)
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

11. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    2 Weeks Ago
    Hi all

Yep the mirrors fold in and I need to fold them in to get the bike in and out of my workshop, my F800ST has extenders so that's not so bad.

I have taken the mirrors to bits and cleaned up the washers and made them a little more ruff to try and stop them from folding in when I get a bit of speed up!

I may see if I can engineer a better washer.

Replacing them may be a good option I was hoping I could put a set from a K1200s I have one but they don’t work at all.

Any recommendations for a good swap out that you guys have tried and worked well would be good to know.

Real Name
    Jason A
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Those original mirrors sure are crap. So much so that after I totaled my 09, and got an 07, I noticed and swapped them.
    Even tho they are scratched up from the crash, they are sliiiightly longer than the original 06-07 ones, makes a little bit of a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by batamali View Post
    Can you pass that $#it you,ve been smokin Arles?...
    yes i can...

14. LikesDaboo liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Yay, I was right, the early mirrors do fold and maybe the later versions too. I had used copper pipe connectors to make extenders, that worked fine until i did what runforlife did and get rox risers and had a great view of my elbows again. Felt like a lot of Ducati's.

Real Name
    Dan H
    02-11-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Checking in for a private message alert and saw this thread. I found the mirrors on my former ST barely adequate, but with extenders at least usable. I kind of questioned some of the more extreme complaints. Then I bought my Kawasaki H2 SX SE. OMG, I can actually see what's going on back there, be it cops, overtaking trucks or my riding pals. So until I began to enjoy really good mirrors I didn't realize how bad the ST's were. But yes, extenders help.

-dan
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1, Garmin zümo 660 RAM mounted, Sena 20S, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei GT-Air, Gerbing's jacket liner, MRA X-creen Sport. 

Real Name
    Bill Darter
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Don't know what every one is complaining about . The mirrors give a perfectly acceptable view of your elbows. What more could you want!! If I really want to see what's behind me have to turn an elbow in and move my head a little sideways. And i have mirror extenders.

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    2 Weeks Ago
    I'm not complaining about the vishion I get out of the mirrors more the fact that they fold in at speed's about 70mph+!

To be fair they are better in the fact that they have very little vibration unlike my S1000xr mirrors!

I'm intrested in if anyone has changed the mirrors for some aftermarket ones which are better EG: dont fold in at speed, I do need them to fold to get them into my workshop.

2 Weeks Ago
    My mirrors on my f800st have a mind of there own, they go all over the place I really don't know what to do this is my first big bike only passed test on the 20th of last month. Will rubber washers help stop them always moving. Thanks

Real Name
    Laurent
    15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazk View Post
    I'm not complaining about the vishion I get out of the mirrors more the fact that they fold in at speed's about 70mph+!

To be fair they are better in the fact that they have very little vibration unlike my S1000xr mirrors!

I'm intrested in if anyone has changed the mirrors for some aftermarket ones which are better EG: dont fold in at speed, I do need them to fold to get them into my workshop.
    Same here.
    I had read a topic where the brand "emgo" was discussed. however, I have never gotten an answer from the OP about the exact model fitted nor if it was a straight fit.

Real Name
    Chris
    6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by RomeAlone View Post
    My mirrors on my f800st have a mind of there own, they go all over the place I really don't know what to do this is my first big bike only passed test on the 20th of last month. Will rubber washers help stop them always moving. Thanks
    I was thinking of a rubber washer too. It would be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by danham View Post
    ...Then I bought my Kawasaki H2 SX SE. OMG, I can actually see what's going on back there, be it cops, overtaking trucks or my riding pals...

-dan
    "overtaking trucks"? On a Kawasaki H2 SX SE? I'm surprised anything could overtake you.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

4 Weeks Ago
    Mine came with mirror extenders and also in the top right edge or left on the left mirror, circular wide angle stick on mirrors.
    I have to say these are used more than the actual mirrors as even if the mirrors do move inwards, which they do, you can still see everything you need to.

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    2 Weeks Ago
    Like I said the view behind is ok as my mirrors have extenders on and as I mostly use the bike for teaching CBT's I'm not looking for the Cops chasing me more cars driver not seeing I have two students doing 18~20 MPH, the issue I seem to have is when I do take the F800 for a bit of a run anything over about 60 MPH and the left hand mirror folds in.

I’m looking for a better mirror that still has the ability to fold in so I can get the bike in my workshop “standard width door” but does not fold in when giving the bike a bit of a run.

I’ve taken the mirror assembly apart and looking at the washer I think I may be able to create a better shaped washer when I get a few spare hours free!

Just wondering if anyone has replaced the mirrors with an aftermarket set?

2 Weeks Ago
    I agree those mirrors are dangerous.

I replaced mine with some very nice italian bar end mirrors. See my avatar. I had to machine my bar end weights to fitbthem but it was fairly easy with basic grinders and tools. Huge improvement - I've never looked back
    Be aware I am not an expert. These are just my opinions. 

Real Name
    Laurent
    15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazk View Post
    I’m looking for a better mirror that still has the ability to fold in so I can get the bike in my workshop “standard width door” but does not fold in when giving the bike a bit of a run.
    For the folding issue, have a look here : https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...=1#post2829787