F800st 06 the mirrors are terrible - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    9 Hours Ago
    Hi all,

I have an F800st 06 the mirrors terrible when I say terrible the move backwards when Im ermm, making progress or on a private road the mirrors are ok in the way that I can see out of them, ok they seem a bit low as in I can see my hands and bar-ends.

This is not my first bike or my only bike, I have a S1000XR as well as the F800.

Heres the question have any of you replaced the mirrors with anything better than the standard ones?

2. LikesDaboo liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Folks have been crying about the mirrors since the bike came out. Solution? put some extenders on the mount. Google the mirrors and get to it.
    Folks lament the mirrors on the DL650 too. Solution, change the mirrors.
    Some one asked about folding mirrors on the ST. I thought the mirrors on my ST would fold. It's been gone a long time but I seem to remember there being a detent that would allow them to fold back. Some one with an ST would be kind enough to check it out and be sure?
    These are personal issues with the bike depending on how you fit the ergonomics.

5. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Cramer
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    The mirrors are one of the few complaints that I have with this bike. Extenders help a little with functionality, but the view is still mostly of my elbows. Of course I've made my situation worse with bar risers and hand guards.

As for the folding, I've taken mine apart to clean up the washers which helped. Others have gone further and replaced the parts with their own creations to create more friction in that pivot point. Maybe a couple little scraps of sandpaper in there would help?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs

7. LikesDaboo liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Sorry, Gary. Cannot help you as the mirrors on my ST (as well as all the other original bits) seem to fit me perfectly. Guess I am just lucky???

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Real Name
    Andrew
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    Some one asked about folding mirrors on the ST. I thought the mirrors on my ST would fold. It's been gone a long time but I seem to remember there being a detent that would allow them to fold back. Some one with an ST would be kind enough to check it out and be sure?
    These are personal issues with the bike depending on how you fit the ergonomics.
    I regularly fold in the mirrors on my ST. (Everytime I throw the dust cover over it.) It's a friction based system with a little indent at the fully extended mark.

I have extenders (3cm in length) and with a bit of adjustment of the mirror itself, I've got great visibility. Of course, the physical dimensions of your upper body will play a big role in what you see (elbows or traffic.)
    Concrete remains undefeated.

11. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    9 Hours Ago
    Hi all

Yep the mirrors fold in and I need to fold them in to get the bike in and out of my workshop, my F800ST has extenders so that's not so bad.

I have taken the mirrors to bits and cleaned up the washers and made them a little more ruff to try and stop them from folding in when I get a bit of speed up!

I may see if I can engineer a better washer.

Replacing them may be a good option I was hoping I could put a set from a K1200s I have one but they don’t work at all.

Any recommendations for a good swap out that you guys have tried and worked well would be good to know.

Real Name
    Jason A
    41 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Those original mirrors sure are crap. So much so that after I totaled my 09, and got an 07, I noticed and swapped them.
    Even tho they are scratched up from the crash, they are sliiiightly longer than the original 06-07 ones, makes a little bit of a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by batamali View Post
    Can you pass that $#it you,ve been smokin Arles?...
    yes i can...

14. LikesDaboo liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Yay, I was right, the early mirrors do fold and maybe the later versions too. I had used copper pipe connectors to make extenders, that worked fine until i did what runforlife did and get rox risers and had a great view of my elbows again. Felt like a lot of Ducati's.

Real Name
    Dan H
    04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Checking in for a private message alert and saw this thread. I found the mirrors on my former ST barely adequate, but with extenders at least usable. I kind of questioned some of the more extreme complaints. Then I bought my Kawasaki H2 SX SE. OMG, I can actually see what's going on back there, be it cops, overtaking trucks or my riding pals. So until I began to enjoy really good mirrors I didn't realize how bad the ST's were. But yes, extenders help.

-dan
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1, Garmin zmo 660 RAM mounted, Sena 20S, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei GT-Air, Gerbing's jacket liner, MRA X-creen Sport.

Real Name
    Bill Darter
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Don't know what every one is complaining about . The mirrors give a perfectly acceptable view of your elbows. What more could you want!! If I really want to see what's behind me have to turn an elbow in and move my head a little sideways. And i have mirror extenders.

18. LikesCheesy rider liked this post

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    9 Hours Ago
    I'm not complaining about the vishion I get out of the mirrors more the fact that they fold in at speed's about 70mph+!

To be fair they are better in the fact that they have very little vibration unlike my S1000xr mirrors!

I'm intrested in if anyone has changed the mirrors for some aftermarket ones which are better EG: dont fold in at speed, I do need them to fold to get them into my workshop.

03-08-20
    My mirrors on my f800st have a mind of there own, they go all over the place I really don't know what to do this is my first big bike only passed test on the 20th of last month. Will rubber washers help stop them always moving. Thanks

Real Name
    Laurent
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazk View Post
    I'm not complaining about the vishion I get out of the mirrors more the fact that they fold in at speed's about 70mph+!

To be fair they are better in the fact that they have very little vibration unlike my S1000xr mirrors!

I'm intrested in if anyone has changed the mirrors for some aftermarket ones which are better EG: dont fold in at speed, I do need them to fold to get them into my workshop.
    Same here.
    I had read a topic where the brand "emgo" was discussed. however, I have never gotten an answer from the OP about the exact model fitted nor if it was a straight fit.

Real Name
    Chris
    43 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by RomeAlone View Post
    My mirrors on my f800st have a mind of there own, they go all over the place I really don't know what to do this is my first big bike only passed test on the 20th of last month. Will rubber washers help stop them always moving. Thanks
    I was thinking of a rubber washer too. It would be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by danham View Post
    ...Then I bought my Kawasaki H2 SX SE. OMG, I can actually see what's going on back there, be it cops, overtaking trucks or my riding pals...

-dan
    "overtaking trucks"? On a Kawasaki H2 SX SE? I'm surprised anything could overtake you.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

2 Hours Ago
    Mine came with mirror extenders and also in the top right edge or left on the left mirror, circular wide angle stick on mirrors.
    I have to say these are used more than the actual mirrors as even if the mirrors do move inwards, which they do, you can still see everything you need to.

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    9 Hours Ago
    Like I said the view behind is ok as my mirrors have extenders on and as I mostly use the bike for teaching CBT's I'm not looking for the Cops chasing me more cars driver not seeing I have two students doing 18~20 MPH, the issue I seem to have is when I do take the F800 for a bit of a run anything over about 60 MPH and the left hand mirror folds in.

I’m looking for a better mirror that still has the ability to fold in so I can get the bike in my workshop “standard width door” but does not fold in when giving the bike a bit of a run.

I’ve taken the mirror assembly apart and looking at the washer I think I may be able to create a better shaped washer when I get a few spare hours free!

Just wondering if anyone has replaced the mirrors with an aftermarket set?

03-09-20
    I agree those mirrors are dangerous.

I replaced mine with some very nice italian bar end mirrors. See my avatar. I had to machine my bar end weights to fitbthem but it was fairly easy with basic grinders and tools. Huge improvement - I've never looked back
    Be aware I am not an expert. These are just my opinions.

Real Name
    Laurent
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Im looking for a better mirror that still has the ability to fold in so I can get the bike in my workshop standard width door but does not fold in when giving the bike a bit of a run.
    For the folding issue, have a look here : https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...=1#post2829787

6 Hours Ago
    Buzzz how much would you charge to make and post a set of the mirror braces to England please i have the same problem
    Cheers
    Joe

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Okay, having read the OP from GAZK, so your mirrors fold from the arm base yes/no! If yes as I suspect is happening by what your saying. Once these have been stripped down as you have done by removing the fixing bolt and then refitted, there can often be problems. I am assuming they are slightly stiff to move by hand, they should be really hard to move by hand. So have you tightened either one of them enough, and I mean enough. If you cannot tighten any more with them on the bike, remove them, place the arm in a vice, I forget if the bolt is a torx or Allen type, I think it is a torx. Using your torx bar extend with a tight fitting socket with an appropriate bar in the square end and give it some leaver.

If this does not cure your problem, I suggest you visit your local BMW dealer when possible or even phone them for information regarding your problem.

I hope I have been of some assistance..

Flook
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Just seen your post Jayjay67, try what I have suggested, or contact your local BMW dealer.

By the way Jayjay, where're you sited. Scotland England Wales, County. Helps to know where you new guy's are.

And welcome to the F800 club to all you new members here.

Flook
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    9 Hours Ago
    Hi Flook,

yes they fold at the bolt point as they should, however the issue is anything over 60MPH the start to fold in, I've stripped then down and still the same I've tightened them up, to be fair I use the F800 for teaching CBT's so most of the day I'm only doing 20 to 50mph on a good day its more when I go over to the other training School about 45 miles away and I get a little more enthusiastic with my riding.

As I said in my post I've got an S1000XR as well and the mirrors on that are ok but a little vibey, I'm on my sixth BMW and none of them have had great mirrors but that's not that much of an issue as it's more the way the moters go and the handling for 90% of my riding, the F800 is great for teaching on as it's belt drive as you know so when it's wet no chain to clean at the end of the day.

I was more reaching out to the group to see if someone had found an easy fix and looking at Buzzz's post that looks the way to go.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I have spoken to a guy who does my servicing, he reckons there maybe a washer/shim missing as it should be tight when tightened up. Alternatively there is Motorworks, who do second hand BMW parts. Give them a call and ask if they have any mirrors for you bike etc.

1 Minute Ago
    Hi Flook,

yes they fold at the bolt point as they should, however the issue is anything over 60MPH the start to fold in, I've stripped then down and still the same I've tightened them up, to be fair I use the F800 for teaching CBT's so most of the day I'm only doing 20 to 50mph on a good day its more when I go over to the other training School about 45 miles away and I get a little more enthusiastic with my riding.

As I said in my post I've got an S1000XR as well and the mirrors on that are ok but a little vibey, I'm on my sixth BMW and none of them have had great mirrors but that's not that much of an issue as it's more the way the moters go and the handling for 90% of my riding, the F800 is great for teaching on as it's belt drive as you know so when it's wet no chain to clean at the end of the day.

I was more reaching out to the group to see if someone had found an easy fix and looking at Buzzz's post that looks the way to go.
    It does sound liek a shim/washer is missing as the bolt gets tight but it doesn't tighten the mirror! I had this issue on my first ST and fitted a thin washer to spacer it out. It worked and the mirror would finally hold in place at speed.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen,

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    DJ, I think Motorworks would be able to help out here with second hand mirrors complete with stem and body clamps. New ones would to my mind be too expensive from BMW even with a 10% discount. They (Motorworks) could be asked if they had any idea how the problem could be solved, as they have given me sound advice in the past when I have rang them with silly questions.
    Gary, give Motorworks a call, beware they may be closed due to the virus we are suffering from, or be restricted in staff levels, but they know BMW inside out.

1 Minute Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Flook View Post
    DJ, I think Motorworks would be able to help out here with second hand mirrors complete with stem and body clamps. New ones would to my mind be too expensive from BMW even with a 10% discount. They (Motorworks) could be asked if they had any idea how the problem could be solved, as they have given me sound advice in the past when I have rang them with silly questions.
    Gary, give Motorworks a call, beware they may be closed due to the virus we are suffering from, or be restricted in staff levels, but they know BMW inside out.
    a washer is only a penny . . . . cheaper than any part!

Motorworks are open and functioning mostly as normal, just no collection; deliveries only.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen,

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I agree a washer is cheaper than a part, but if one cannot obtain a thin enough washer/shim, then one has to start looking at replacements, in this case parts.

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '74 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800 ST
    Yonks ago the LH mirror on my machine started folding in when riding. I took it apart and from what I remember (10 years later) there was a mechanism involving serrations and a wavy spring washer to allow folding and indexing back. I ended up adding a nitrile O ring into the stack. Has been a lot stiffer since.
    I know that car mirrors have to fold to protect pedestrians.
    I am not sure whether the folding mirrors were added for such legal requirement re. safety in infrequent crash conditions - folding when hitting a pedestrian etc, or so that the machine can get through a narrow gap.
    When I looked at the folding mechanism it was plainly not designed for constant use and would wear badly if so used.

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Nice to hear from you Pete. That is along the lines I have been told, except there is no serration as it is smooth to move, serration would to my mind need slackening off so to move the mirror easily then re-tighten.

I think in this case in the past someone has stripped down this part and may have inadvertently dropped a shim, so when it went back there was this problem at speed. Unfortunately due to lock down non of us can meet up anywhere in any suitable close contact to help out.

I see that Gazk has not come back to make comment or update, so I hope all is well and this problem has been sorted out one way or another.

Pete, I thought you sold your F8, however it is good to see you back again.

Flook

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '74 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800 ST
    From what I remember there were two serrated surfaces sprung loaded together with a wavy washer. It was in the form of a very shallow angle triangular wave of not much depth. It would be very easy to wear away.
    The O ring I put in was behind the wavy washer to add load.
    That's why I believe that the folding mirrors are only a safety feature.
    The only answer is to take a new, unused mirror apart

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '74 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800 ST
    Just taken my LH mirror apart.
    Screw from top engages with nut & washer below. Nut is located in a hexagonal body in lower fork of mirror bracket. Hexagonal body can be pushed out when screw & nut removed. Hexagonal body has an interrupted cam profile on upper surface. Mirror arm has an interrupted cam profile on surface at the bottom of a hexagonal pocket that the hexagonal body fits in. The cam surfaces are in contact.
    Did not try to disassemble any more.
    Screwing everything back together I found that the indexing had disappeared and the mirror just rotated smoothly. Took it all apart again and moved the hexagonal body round by 60 degrees. Reassembled and indexing came back to normal. Trying to upload photos but having trouble.
    Last edited by Pete99; 4 Days Ago at 07:22 AM. Reason: Mirror bracket changed to mirror arm

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '74 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800 ST
    Photos! Click image for larger version.

Name:	F8001.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	364235Click image for larger version.

Name:	F8002.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	364237Click image for larger version.

Name:	F800_3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	364239Click image for larger version.

Name:	F8004.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	364241

6 Hours Ago
    Hi flook I'm in the lake district ( North West of England )

42. LikesFlook liked this post

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Jayjay, thanks for that, go into your settings and put where you are in the location part, this will come up under your picture.

Pete, yup see what you mean with the cams, so what you are saying is it is important not to move the cams out of original alignment.

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '74 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800 ST
    From the 3rd photo of the hexagonal body you can see that the cams are badly wearing. This is on a machine that I rarely folded the mirrors. I doubt if the LH mirror has been folded more that 30 times since new in 2006.
    What I am saying is that use of the folding facility will wear out the cam and excessive floppiness will result.
    When I disassembled the mirror the arm was still held in the bracket by a tubular piece that has the upper cam on it. I am going to try to press that out to 'have a look'.
    Under the screw head and above the tubular piece there is a fibre washer and below that was the O ring that I had used to tighten everything up yonks ago.

Real Name
    Robert
    12 Hours Ago
    My solution was to look around for cheap F800GT mirrors. That way you get mirrors that don't have issues with their folding mechanism and are like F800ST mirrors + extenders. All you have to do is cut away a bit of the mounting points on the mirrors. They're longer and have those extra bits that slot into GT fairings. Otherwise they're plug&play.