Break in suggestion / first service should I do or dealer? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800GS
    Any suggestions on Break - in? New bike.

Also, should i perform the first service or let the dealer do the first one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Ahhh...an oil thread, sort of.

My suggestion is to ride it like you plan to ride it the rest of its life with you.

I had a new bike once and took that route. I found it used just a wee bit of oil...so little that by the time I needed to add any, it was time to change it. A couple years later, I bought another of the same bike. I followed the Motoman method of revving it hard and backing off, over and over and over again for the first 20 miles or so. Basically, "ride it like I stole it." I found it used just a wee bit of oil...so little that by the time I needed to add any, it was time to change it. Does that last sentence sound familiar?

Bottom line is it didn't make any difference at all.

As for having the dealer do the first service, I'd say it depends on what they do. You can go through checking torque on the bolts as easily as he can and I find it fun to "bond" with my bike that way. Changing the oil is no big deal. Anyone can do that. If...and that's a big "IF", they check the valves...then I'd have them do it. But to just do a simple oil change? Nah.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

4. Likesnotacop liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    It has been my experience with the BMW boxers that if you break them in too easily, the rings will not seat-in properly and the engine will burn oil for the rest of its life. Don't be afraid to use the throttle and run up and down through the revs. Just keep the rpms below the recommended limit during break-in per the owner's manual. If anything goes wrong during the first 600 miles the dealer might claim it was the result of exceeding the rev limit. On some bikes the how many times you exceeded the limit during the break-in period gets lodged in the computer as a fault.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

6. Likespadaek liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Jurgen
    05-25-20
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Run your new bike in as you'd normally ride it. Don't bounce it off the rev limiter though. Vary the engine speed as much as possible but try not the lug the engine.

About the first service, get it down by the dealer you bought it off. Depending on the country and/or manufacturer, you could void the bike's warranty if the dealer doesn't perform the first service. Get your service manual stamped.
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos. 

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800GS
    Thanks. Plus the other advantage is that dealer can reset the maintenance reminder.

10. Likespadaek liked this post