BMW F800 Forum banner

Spot Light Mounts on my F800ST

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Kukopia 
#1 ·
I designed and 3D printed these spot light mounts for my F800ST (2007). They mount at the mirror attachment points and support two 10 degree LED weatherproof spotlights I bought off of amazon. I wired them directly to the battery through a relay activated by the high beam. They are aimed so that they illuminate the sides of the road so that I can see critters further off in the distance when traveling country roads at night. They also are very effective at getting the attention of other drivers during the day who may be about to pull out in front of me. They are printed from black PETG which is resistant to the elements.

Composite material Carmine Magenta Toy Plastic
Auto part Fashion accessory Font Carmine Magenta
Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Cameras & optics Cylinder

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Alloy wheel
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

See less See more
#8 ·
I noticed this thread is two years old.

The idea is sound, and looks promising. However, the OP has not replied to any comment. Should the OP read this, please PM me. Or would the OP be willing to supply these as a pair with information about the type/make of lamps he has used.

Actual space space on the ST is extremely limited, and the only real place is the mirrors to fairing.

So if anyone else has done something similar how about posting here.

Flook

#10 ·
Thanks for that. I have just looked up the link you gave, I assume you had the 20w lights not the 40w ones. What switch unit did you use, the one they show, also did you use the brackets as well, or have something else.

I have several ideas in mind if you had the brackets that came as extras, also the switch unit is not water proofed, how did you get around that.

#12 ·
As far as the switch, I have one and only have used it to turn the lights off when I come to border crossings (usa/Canada) or when I need more amps to keep my heated gear functioning while sitting in traffic. I have it wired through my Fuze block that only powers on when the engine is running. That way, as long as the switch is on, the lights go on and off with the engine.

As far as waterproof... I can't imagine that it matters. This is very low amperage DC current. It'll work fine when wet and not cause any shorts. I guess a "waterproof" switch might have higher quality connections that are less likely to corrode, but for the purposes of a motorcycle, I don't see this being a significant concern. I think my switch was about $6.

Tim, the OP, lives a few miles from me. I haven't seen him this winter, but if you want, PM me and I can reach out to him via phone or email. I know he was trying to sell his ST, but he still had it in September when we last rode together.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I designed and 3D printed these spot light mounts for my F800ST (2007). They mount at the mirror attachment points and support two 10 degree LED weatherproof spotlights I bought off of amazon. I wired them directly to the battery through a relay activated by the high beam. They are aimed so that they illuminate the sides of the road so that I can see critters further off in the distance when traveling country roads at night. They also are very effective at getting the attention of other drivers during the day who may be about to pull out in front of me. They are printed from black PETG which is resistant to the elements.

View attachment 353951 View attachment 353953 View attachment 353955
View attachment 353957 View attachment 353959 View attachment 353961
Hey Tim,
Are you printing these to sell. I would be interested in buying some.

#15 ·
Tim sold his ST a year ago and moved up to an R1250RT. I don't think he follows this forum anymore.

I was at his house last month and saw that he added another 3d printer to his workshop, so I'll ask him about it.

Cramer

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: MGD109
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.