Pisto Slap , Do F800GT's suffer ?? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    derek palmer
    01-25-20
    Hi all
    I was thinking of trading my '13 GT [ with 9,250 mls.] in for a new Honda NC750x DCT , the dealer seemed keen and offered me £2950 ! ! When I queried the low price he said it was because his service manager said " these bikes suffered from Piston Slap " ? I said that I'd never heard of it [ literally ] or seen it on our forum pages , so I'm asking if anyone does know if it's true ??
    We were on the phone at the time so I actually went outside with the phone and started the bike up from cold holding the phone close to the engine so that he could hear it !!
    regards Derek

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    He's thinking back on the early ST. It hasn't been an issue for many many years, and certainly not on GTs.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

4. Likespadaek liked this post
    notacop is online The original Schwartz Wald Troll

15 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Musta been pre 2008 cus my 2008 ST didn't have PS in 57K miles. Rattled like a can of loose nuts when it was started but that was only for a moment.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    bever
    42 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    when did they fix the piston slap issue and how?

6 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by 308bever View Post
    when did they fix the piston slap issue and how?
    I have been a forum member since buying a new ST in 2007. The ST & S versions were launched in 2006. I remember reading posts reporting piston slap issues on very early bikes. I think the fix was a redesigned piston introduced in build very early on. I don't think BMW recalled early bikes but, when problems arose, dealers fitted new type pistons [and new cylinder block if damaged] under warranty. My April 2007 ST never experienced the problem[sold 2013 /43,000 miles].

9. LikesDaboo, 308bever liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    When someone makes sweeping statements such as "these bikes suffered from piston slap", I'd be inclined to ask the person for evidence of this.

The dealer has placed you in a position, and you have seemingly accepted, to provide evidence of absence.

With a 13 year production run, any issue with merit would be exceptionally well commented upon courtesy of the internet.
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

11. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Gerry
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    i believe 2007 or 2008 were the last years considered 'piston slap' risks. Even then it was relatively rare.
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l 2016 GSX S1000 (Naked & Blue)
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

13. Likes308bever liked this post

Real Name
    Dave
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800GT
    One Honda dealer near me offered a poor price for my GT.
    Approx 60% of its showroom price against a spanking VFR800x. They would not move on pricing - result no sale as thd offer was too low.
    They said needs tyres, mot, service..(2016 bike) yes... and?
    I guess they dont want the bikes on the showroom floor?

Real Name
    Chris
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Your experience is one of the reasons I don't swap out bikes constantly. The dealership doesn't really want used bikes around. And if they have to take it, they will do so only if they can make it worth their while. In other words, you're paying them to take your used bike.

Chris

4 Hours Ago
    In August 2019, I spoke to a dealer about a trade-in price for my GT, which is a 2017 bike with just over 6000 miles on. I was interested in a 4 month old R 1250 R, and was offered £4400. This was 45% of the cost of the GT. I still have the GT!

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    John Carpino
    4 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    AS others have stated, that was on the earlier ST models. Sounded like a garbage disposal with silverware in it. My 2012ST doesn't do that, so they obviously fixed it. That said, I had an '09ST (that I ended up selling privately on Craigslist), that I brought to a Suzuki dealer and talked about a trade-in for a 650 VStrom, and they low-balled me too. Said "We don't get much demand for those". I rode the NC700x, and liked it alot.
    Dealers will never give you a fair shake on a trade-in, even BMW dealers. Your best bet would be to sell the bike outright. I've used Craigslist multiple times to sell my BMWs, and always got a great price for them. I've also bought several on Craigslist, including my current 2012, and have never been disappointed.

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    As much as "we" love our F800 bikes - the feeling is not universal and they are not easy for the dealers who carry Japanese products to sell them.

A few years ago I saw an 2008 F800ST sitting in front of the local Honda/Kawasaki dealer. I stopped and looked at the bike and I really didn't know anything about modern BMW bikes, my only BMW experience was from friends who owned old airheads. The bike had about 19,000 miles on it, and they were asking around $4,500. I phoned a friend who has owned several BMW's and got the common F800 response from him.....they vibrate, they are made in India, and saddlebags will cost you $1,000. The bike was silver and a little bit weathered - it was not in bad shape and it wasn't dented or scratched.....but it didn't look incredibly loved.

Even though I have owned and ridden much bigger bikes - I have always liked small bikes and believe a 400 - 500cc twin has plenty enough power to do anything I need a bike to do.....I bought a cheap Ninja 250 that I kept for 3 years and I had a blast on it, and it was my "go to" bike for running errands and I even took it on several multi-day trips. I thought the F800ST would be a great bike for my solo trips and a bit more capable than the Ninja 250, and it could provide sporty performance and handling in the mountains - and still be capable of getting me down the highway for longer trips. I would see the F800ST sitting in front of the dealer every time I dove by the dealer - rain/sun/snow.....it was always sitting in front of the dealer for almost 2 years - and the physical condition was getting more weather beaten, and I wondered how hard the constant exposure to weather was on the bike.....the fasteners and other bits were starting to get a bit rusty. The price kept getting lower and lower and when the price got down to $3,000......I was tempted to go offer them $2,500 cash - but the bike was gone before I could make them a low offer.

My reason for posting in this thread is to respond to the "low ball offers" the dealers make - it is likely they know how difficult it may be for them to sell a used BMW F800. Dealers who sell Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki may have a very difficult time selling a German bike with an engine made in India. Dealer who sell MotoGuzzi/Triumph/Ducati may have a more eclectic clientele and have a bit easier time selling a BMW. In the area I live the closest BMW dealer is 2 hours away (Louisville,KY or Columbus, OH), and most local people would not consider buying a motorcycle that can't be serviced locally (same problem for folks wanting a Royal Enfield/Ducati/Aprilla in this area....and the local Triumph dealer is sketchy).

And for more proof.....watch the listings for the bikes on this forum. Really nice bikes are currently in our Classified section that have been list for 2-3 years without being sold. We love our bikes and those of us who have bought used likely found very few bikes for sale - but we are a unique small group and most dealers don't know how to market to us.

19. LikesDaboo, PhotoAl liked this post

Real Name
    JR
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F750GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Single)
    My first air head (R80RT) was always noisy in the engine department and diagnosed with piston-slap by the dealer after numerous valve and cam chain adjustments. I put 65K miles on it and the next owner put another 70K and the jugs never saw a lick of piston service. I lost track of the bike after the next owner but maybe it's still chugging along. I guess after that experience I'm not inclined to worry much about it other than what others might consider annoying stop light clatter at idle. Everything in my F650GS (single) with somewhere over 75K clatters like a son of a gun but it runs like a Timex.

Maybe just get the bike that scratches your itch and enjoy the ride!

21. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    3 Hours Ago
    Thumpin, the F800 engine is not made in India. I believe it is (or was) made in Austria by Rotax. The last of the F650GS singles and the current scooter engines were made in China. I think the new 850-series engines are also made in China. The BMW 310 series motorcycles are entirely manufactured in India. All of their larger motorcycles and their C-Evolution electric scooter are manufactured in BMW's Berlin plant.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

23. LikesDaboo, IanA liked this post

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Thumpin, the F800 engine is not made in India. I believe it is (or was) made in Austria by Rotax.
    Fact doesn't stop rumors from spreading.......since some of the small BMW engines were made in India or China - the rumors that all of the small engines (or bikes) were made there is a somewhat common "fake news" story.

It is spread by the same folks who have never owned a BMW - and also claim that BMW's are unreliable and plagued with mechanical issues. I put off buying a BMW for a very long time as I tended to give some credence to those unsubstantiated rumors.

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Could you go to a local BMW shop and try to negotiate a consignment sale perhaps? I was able to sell my '13 FGT on consignment thru a local BMW dealer for a flat $800 charge--it was well worth it to me and he made an easy $800 as it turned out, and it sold within about 3 months for my asking price.

Real Name
    emlevy
    6 Days Ago
    India. That's pathetic.

The F850GS engine is assembled in China by Loncin to BMW's specs. The one I rode in Austria a few months ago was noticeably superior (more powerful, more responsive, much smoother) than any of the three Rotax-built F800's I've owned over the past 13 years. It's a very nice engine.

It's amazing how uneducated people spew ignorant prejudices.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX | 2019 Honda Monkey 

5 Hours Ago
    I doubt if anyone on hear is "uneducated " may be some owners have more knowledge then others.
    The f800 can be a difficult bike for a non BMW dealership to sell i have seen this when my previous f800s sat in a non franchise dealership for a year or more.
    Any dealership is going to tell you what you want to hear when your buying but if they ridicule your part ex WALK away.
    When a non franchise dealership takes in a Beemer in the U.K. they ask the same or almost the same price as the BMW dealership, but may offer a 3 month warranty instead of a two year comprehensive one, couple this with the fact they have no diagnostic equipment so if there is a problem they are not going to be much use.
    Personally with the exception of pidcock BMW I have never had a trouble using a Japanese bike as a part ex.

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    My 2016 sat at the dealership for many months. I made the deal on Saturday and gave them a CC over the phone for a deposit. Showed up the following Tuesday to make the purchase. There was a fella there who had come to buy the bike - sorry dude but too late. Funny how something will sit for months and then tw folks show up to buy a couple of days apart. IMO half of the problems with sales of the F800GT is folks who didn't study the bike to see it's strengths and then sell those strengths. BM and most dealerships seem to prefer to sell the big high dollar bikes and nor worry about the lower margin smaller bikes.

29. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoAl View Post
    ... IMO half of the problems with sales of the F800GT is folks who didn't study the bike to see it's strengths and then sell those strengths. BM and most dealerships seem to prefer to sell the big high dollar bikes and nor worry about the lower margin smaller bikes.
    My previous bike was a Honda NT700V. It only sold here in the USA for two years, but was an extremely good bike. Fantastic wind management with no buffeting. Enough power to do cross-country touring. It used to eat up the miles with no effort at all, and wasn't bad in corners. Shaft drive. I know of some that hit 200,000 miles. I was in a parking lot at Mt. St. Helens when a BMW rider walked up and asked what model of BMW it was.

But you had to search a showroom to find one. It was usually tucked in some corner, out of the way. If you asked a salesman about it, they didn't know much about it. It is no wonder it only sold here for two years.

On the other hand, it was manufactured for @18 years, and sold in Europe as a motorcycle courier and police bike. It had a good reputation there.

Chris