F800GS ABS failure - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

3 Weeks Ago
    I was out riding the other day and noticed my ABS light was on, it went away later that night. After that, my ABS light has stayed on and my ABS is disabled.

I've cleaned the ABS sensors and traced the ABS wires as well as I could and found nothing out of the ordinary. The bike did have a charging issue where I would need to hook the battery up to a trickle charger frequently to prevent the battery dying, After disconnecting the headlight (the previous owner did some weird 55w HID's) the bike seems to charge the battery properly though. I have noticed that the battery slowly loses its charge, was 12.42 yesterday, 12.35 now but I did park it in a cold garage, not sure if that is relevant.

Has anyone experienced this? Thinking about buying an OBD scan tool and seeing if any useful codes pop up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Hmm...where do you live? If nearby, we can meet and you can use my GS-911.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

3 Weeks Ago
    Bozeman, Montana, bit far from Seattle, but much appreciated

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Kevin Huddy
    1 Hour Ago
    What is the history of the bike? Year, mileage, service history, especially regarding brake fluid changes?
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl

7. LikesDaboo liked this post

3 Weeks Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    What is the history of the bike? Year, mileage, service history, especially regarding brake fluid changes?
    I'm unsure, its got 31k, the previous owner had it briefly and had no knowledge of the previous owner's service history.

Real Name
    Kevin Huddy
    1 Hour Ago
    Given that you have checked the sensors, the ABS pump becomes suspect. Checking for an ABS related code and flushing the brakes and cycling the ABS pump, if it will respond, would be a logical steps. To read the codes and cycle the pump you have three options: a dealer which is 200 miles away, use a GS911 which costs $300+, or use a MotoScan which costs around $125. MotoScan uses a smart phone along with an app and cables to link to the bike; I've not used one, but do some research (ADV Rider has a lot of info) and you may want to invest in it. We hold a tech day every May at our place NW of Helena; that is around 115 miles from Bozeman. We get 50-70 riders most years and there are some smart guys that attend. I have a GS911 and could certainly read the codes and perhaps cycle the pump. Send me a PM and we can talk off line.
    Kevin
    Team Pterodactyl

Real Name
    Kevin Huddy
    1 Hour Ago
    By the way, any BMW dealer will be able to access the service records of your bike. The dealer can see everytime the bike was presented at a dealership for a recall, service bulletin, routine maintenance and repairs. Not sure if Big Sky will work with you on the phone to do this or not.
    Kevin
    Team Pterodactyl