F800gt - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Robert
    1 Day Ago
    Hi , new to this site , thinking about changing my Honda Crossrunner for something lighter and lower . Is the bike capable of touring 2 up with luggage ?.Its slight down on power compared to the Honda .

Thanks Robert

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Ian
    20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Hi Robert. Welcome to the forum and potential F800GT ownership.

I have a GT bought for several reasons.

1. Light enough to manoeuvre out of the garage and elsewhere (for garage read - garden shed !).
    2. Can filter on the commute to work (now ride into town since I retired).
    3. Can tour with wife as pillion in UK and abroad (central Europe and Spain already)
    4. Can ride long days without fatigue (just me-450 miles back home to Scotland)

In the 6 years I have had this bike it has fulfilled all of the above, achieved 58-60 mpg and I haven't had to oil the chain once !

Just saying.
    Ian

P.S. Where are you ? There is a facility to add your location into your profile so you can maybe get local advice i.e reputable bike shops.
    Last edited by Norfolk UK; 01-29-20 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added P.S.
    2014 GT Orange. Just the comfort pack and heated grips - not into gizmos.

"Pity the man who wasn't born in the Highlands and hears the pipes"  

4. LikesDaboo, Simmacus liked this post

Real Name
    Robert
    1 Day Ago
    Thanks for all that info , definitely going to be worth a test ride . I love the Crossrunner , but finding it to heavy as l get older . The BMW is something like 27 kg lighter , also a lot lower . Is there a storage box where the petrol tank is ?
    I am situated in the North-east Uk
    Thanks Robert

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

3 Hours Ago
    Robert, if you're looking at new/pre-registered the GT has been discontinued (replaced??) with the 900 XR, which means there are/will be some good deals about on the GT. If you're looking at used, then you should find some low mileage, good value bikes around. I'd say go and test ride one - they're good bikes.

The petrol tank is under the seat and there's no real storage there. Maybe room for a puncture reapair kit or small set of tools. The battery is under the panel where a traditional petrol tank would be, which has a very small space - I have a Fuzeblock there for powering electrical accessories.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Chris
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Welcome to the forum from Puget Sound.

Where do you live? There's a way to include that in your profile.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Bill
    1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Welcome aboard Robert. The GT is an excellent two up touring bike. Unless rider and passenger are extra large . . . .
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

10. LikesIanA liked this post

Real Name
    Gerry
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Welcome, Robert. As Bill, mentions, it is fine for 2-up touring if both passengers are not XL. Also, if you both pack reasonably. I am not petite but my wife is (so we balance out) and we have been on multiday trips together. I have a 46L topcase in addition to the expandable bags for storage.

I have an ST but of course it is quite similar to the GT.
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l 2016 GSX S1000 (Naked & Blue)
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

Real Name
    Chris
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    The GT is fine for two-up travel. Heck, even a small 125cc scooter is good for two-up travel...or more. Just depends on your size.

Chris

13. LikesRichard230 liked this post

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Welcome Robert, I can't speak to 2 up riding as my wife refuses to get on the back. I have toured a fair amount on mine and like it a lot. It has enough power but won't be challenging for the lead in British SuperBike races. It's greatest strength is that it does a lot of things very well but is not outstanding in any one area. My last two bikes were a 2012 CBR600RR and a 2014 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 both were very exhilarating to ride -for a while. The BMW turn in the same way they did, a little pressure on the bars and into the corner it goes. Good brakes and suspension but not adjustable. I like the way it handles even when full loaded. On road like the photo below I can enjoy the turns without worrying about the bike. BMW is easy to balance, even loaded, and very seldom do I want for more power. Around here, full loaded, it is capable of running with the fast flow of traffic on the interstate. My bike is currently in the shop getting the 24,000 mile service. I put 18,000 miles on mine in the first 14 months without any issues. Full loaded for me is full side cases, a tank bag and a large duffle bag on the back of the rear seat and the luggage rack. The engine is remarkable, it is an interesting design and the vibrations don't bother me too much. Very efficient and capable of getting great fuel mileage if the speed is kept down. A couple of times it has saved me by allowing me to stretch the gas and make it to the next gas station. What do I not like? The engine - it is dull, doesn't make exciting noises and goes about it job in a very workmanlike manner (compared to my last 2 bikes). The power is in the upper part of the rev range which I like, it keeps building until about the rev limit. When I'm out on a fun ride it would be nice to have more power.

Photo is from highway in Idaho on the way to Glacier National Park. BMW fully loaded beautiful road great weather, this is what I ride for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	medscreen shot.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	785.7 KB 
ID:	354821

Real Name
    Robert
    1 Day Ago
    How do l include my location in my profile ?
    Thanks Robert

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Hi , new to this site , thinking about changing my Honda Crossrunner for something lighter and lower . Is the bike capable of touring 2 up with luggage ?.Its slight down on power compared to the Honda .

Thanks Robert
    I got a chance to ride the new 1250 RS and have to say that it not only feels low to the ground, but superbly balanced as well. I thought it would feel heavy, compared to the GT, but the wonderful balance of the bike offsets the weight difference...it's really amazing. If I ever trade my RR and GT, that'd be the bike for me. The only negative is the crappy windscreen, but if VStream can fix the GT's wind problem (it did for me), it can probably fix that bike's, too. The GT, though, is a terrific bike and I love mine, especially as a complement to the RR. It does feel "top-heavy" moving it around the garage, but once moving...it's perfect. The RS has more power by a lot, and would do well 2-up, but you won't get one for anywhere near the GT's price point!

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    I am 170 pounds, 5'-8" tall and my wife is a bit shorter....and a bit lighter. We both fit on the bike well and have done many day rides on the bike - it has plenty of power to haul us both around....even in the mountains. The panniers and 28 liter trunk provide plenty of room for me on multi-day rides - but if the wife and I both went for a week long ride the luggage room is really not adequate. When we go on multi-day rides riding double we take the R1200RT, as it has twice the luggage space.

I love the F800GT - it handles well, it is noticeably easier to maneuver around in parking lots when riding single or double, and it has plenty of power. It lacks the low end punch of the R1200RT - but crank the revs up and it moves along really well.

Real Name
    Marcus
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT

Thanks Robert
    It's slight down on power compared to the honda, only at regions where the GT couldn't go, and that's beyond 10k RPM.

For the most part, the GT is 'faster' than the VFR for the first 180km/h, due to the twin engine putting out more torque (which is the most important bit for most uses other than drag racing) than the v4. More torque also means more load pulling power aka good for 2-up with luggages. Just google the torque curves of the F800 vs VFR800 and you will see why.

Don't focus too much on power figures. Torque is King.

5 Hours Ago
    Welcome in from rainy Holmfirth! I’ve a F8gt too that’s a brilliant all rounder although only had it a short time as yet.

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumpin View Post
    - but crank the revs up and it moves along really well.
    That is SO true! I've got a 150 mile mountain twisty ride I do frequently and in the corners, with RPMs up in the 6000-7500 range, this bike just tears up those corners. In the cruising sections, the GT is happy as a clam at 4500-5000 rpm.

21. LikesWomble liked this post

Real Name
    Sims
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800R
    I do it on my F8R, can't complain, and the GT would be less buffet if you're on the highway.

Oh man, you guys keep bragging about not lubing the chain!!!!

I need a chain to belt mod, who's got it! Totally jealous!

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Hi Robert, welcome from the coast of Kansas, USA. Lots of good advice already and certainly more will come. Just remember: everything is simply another person's opinion about the topic being discussed. Test ride an F800 yourself and you will learn if the bike is strong enough for you and your wife. Like the others here on this forum, i believe it is strong enough, but you must decide for yourself.

Good luck.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Real Name
    Adrian
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Welcome from Somerset, yes the F800 will tour 2 up, there are plenty in the BMW Club who have 'downsized' due to age and still tour and camp with ease, I cannot comment from direct experience as unfortunately/fortunately for me my wife has never ridden with me on any of my bikes... 34 years!

But I'm not sure how I'd feel now if she'd want to come riding!

Adrian

Real Name
    Robert
    1 Day Ago
    Going to look at a 2019 GT on Friday , Dalkeith BMW . Can you buy a tank ring for it , as obviously the petrol tank is at the side of the bike . I have 2 mo-tech bags for my Crossrunner .
    It would be handy if l could use them .Also does it have a power socket ?

Thanks Robert

26. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Tracy
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    I have a tank ring from Givi on mine.
    The majority of my riding is 2-up and the bike does ok, just be prepared to play in the gearbox more.
    I came from a 2008 V-Strom, and while that bike weights a little less than The GT, the GT isn't top heavy like the Strom. I find it so much easier for parking lot and slow speed manuvering.

28. LikesDaboo liked this post

4 Hours Ago
    Just fitted Givi BF16 tank ring @ Ł24 from m&p used with my givi 3D603 bag this is a small bag but allows me to not put anything in my pockets.
    I have used this on my previous 5 bikes should be even better on f800gt as the fuel tank is under seat.

Real Name
    Carl
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '98 VFR800
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    I believe this is what you need for your tank bag.

https://sw-motech.com/en/products/lu...2572044575.htm

I have put some information up on how i did my tank bag and added power into it for charging phones etc

I have toured on my F8GT, previously had an ST both very good, and don't let the lack of power on GT put you off, the lighter weight more than makes up aginst my VFR that i also own. To the point i have managed to do 60 miles on the VFR since the last MOT.(May sell her due to lack of use this year) The BMW is so easy to live with, no chains to oil, very comfortable, 50+ miles to a Gallon with no problem, gives well in excess of 150 miles to tank. My wife says it is comfortable as a passenger. The hard luggage (panniers) work well, although I don't have top box on GT (I did on ST) I use a GIVI roll bag on the rack now when touring as gives more capacity than the BMW top box, and the wife says it far easier to live with as a passenger both getting on off and she can take things with her she wants. (read more clothes ->longer trips or use as a day bag when we go out for the day) We use the panniers to leave what we can so as not to carry things round.

31. LikesDaboo liked this post

3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Going to look at a 2019 GT on Friday , Dalkeith BMW . Can you buy a tank ring for it , as obviously the petrol tank is at the side of the bike . I have 2 mo-tech bags for my Crossrunner .

Thanks Robert
    Would be very interested in your views if you have a test ride.

I have had my 2019 F800GT SE for nearly a year now. Always had the larger boxer engined BMWs but like a lot on this forum decided I needed a lighter and more manageable bike.
    Very pleased that I changed, one of the lightest 800s around. Handling is very good on the short and twistys Never get chance to ride solo as my wife always accompanies me. The BMW top boxes fit onto the rear rack without mods and are a good piece of kit, I had them on my 1200s, nearly always some on Ebay too.

33. LikesDaboo liked this post

02-13-20

Thanks Robert
    You can get a tank ring that sits on top of the false tank. It's is secured to the centre cover screws. I think mine was by SWM from nippy Norman in the UK.

Real Name
    Robert
    1 Day Ago
    Well l have taken the plunge and bought the F800GT in black storm metallic . Panniers and top box included , they are doing a full service , also replacing R/H side scuffed mirror , bar end and engine cover . Also fitting my Tom-tom and optimate charging cable .Weather up there was atrocious. Probably collect it beginning of next month . No rush .
    Robert

36. LikesDaboo, MGD109, pigmy, ch4gas, IanA and 1 others liked this post

Real Name
    Geoff
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '94 R1100RS
    I don't think you jumped into HOT water, Robert. That plunge will be more soothing after a couple of Km on the GT
    Sundog 

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Well l have taken the plunge and bought the F800GT in black storm metallic . Panniers and top box included , they are doing a full service , also replacing R/H side scuffed mirror , bar end and engine cover . Also fitting my Tom-tom and optimate charging cable .Weather up there was atrocious. Probably collect it beginning of next month . No rush .
    Robert
    It's a great looking color on that bike. Ask me how I know...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1997 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	621.5 KB 
ID:	356109  

39. LikesGTOz liked this post

Real Name
    Robert
    1 Day Ago
    Yes , don't normally go for black , but love the metallic black and grey tank !

Real Name
    Chris
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    If I ever have to replace my white 2014 GT, I may look for a 2013 in black. That colour is absolutely gorgeous on the bike.

Chris

02-28-20
    I replaced my Hayabusa for an 800GT last year and love it. Light, easy to manouvere and fun to own. I think its the kind of bike thats not the best of anything, but when your ready to move onto something a bit lighter and easier less power is a better comprimise that additional weight and for me, seat height. It's so easy to manage and fun to use and not at all slow that for the 2% of the time your riding when a bit more power would be appreciated you'll easily forgive it. It reminds me of the sort of bikes we owned years ago before everything had a niche. You had your bike, generally upright, reasonably powered for the time road bikes with low seat heights, and just went places. Simple. We still remember those rides now because we enjoyed them so much! I test rode mine back to back against a 1200RS and apart from that initial surge of extra power exiting an island or whatever when the 1200 felt great and really in its element, otherwise it was stodgy and cumbersome with an awkward power delivery on the wet and greasy roads on the day I was out, even compared to my memories of my old 1200RT which I recall being really well balanced. Great bike for some, but it convinced me the 800 was the way to go.

43. LikesSundog52, Daboo, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Tracy
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    I can't make myself pin the throttle on my RR...but I can on my GT!

Real Name
    Ric
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '01 R1100S
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
    It's a great looking color on that bike. Ask me how I know...
    Have to agree. At first I wanted white, but was offered such a good deal on the black storm metallic, which was fully loaded, I couldn't turn it down. When a couple of mates dropped round they didn't know I'd bought a new bike, and the first words out of their mouths as they dismounted their bikes and took their helmets off were, "That's a nice looking bike".

Like your dark screen, though I don't really have a problem with buffeting with the stock, so might look at the stock tinted screen.

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOz View Post
    Have to agree. At first I wanted white, but was offered such a good deal on the black storm metallic, which was fully loaded, I couldn't turn it down. When a couple of mates dropped round they didn't know I'd bought a new bike, and the first words out of their mouths as they dismounted their bikes and took their helmets off were, "That's a nice looking bike".

Like your dark screen, though I don't really have a problem with buffeting with the stock, so might look at the stock tinted screen.
    If you go that route, here's what the stock tinted screen looks like on the Black Storm Metallic GT:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1862 (1024x768).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	281.1 KB 
ID:	356157  

Real Name
    Ric
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '01 R1100S
    If you go that route, here's what the stock tinted screen looks like on the Black Storm Metallic GT:
    Thanks for that. The VStream is a little lower and wider. I recall trying sitting up high and the bike gets very quiet like that, so a lower screen may be better. Over $417 AU to land it here though.

Motorcycle
    '18 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '17 S1000RR
    Thanks for that. The VStream is a little lower and wider. I recall trying sitting up high and the bike gets very quiet like that, so a lower screen may be better. Over $417 AU to land it here though.
    This is the interesting thing about the VStream - it does measure a little lower, but because of the angle being steeper than stock, it's actually about the same from the perspective of your eye. Being steeper, it seems to push the wind higher than the stock screen and being wider it creates a larger area of quiet air. For me, it was vastly superior from a noise standpoint.

The OEM tinted screen LOOKS great, but it had the same noise issue (obviously) for me.

There are Australian dealers for VSteam, so maybe you can get it a bit cheaper from them? I show it for $261 from Mototoys OZ:

http://mototoys.com.au/product/vstre...or-bmw-f800gt/

Cassons Pty, Ltd.
    Unit 2, 25 Wonderland Dr., Eastern Creek NSW 2766, Australia
    Tel: 61(0)2 8882 1900
    Fax: 61(0)2 8882 1999
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    Web: www.cassons.com.au

Mototoys Oz | ZTechnik® Products for BMW® Motorcycles Only
    Unit T5, 48 Throsby St.
    Wickham, NSW, 2293 Australia
    Mobile: (04) 0028 4840
    Web: www.mototoys.com.au

Real Name
    Ric
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '01 R1100S
    This is the interesting thing about the VStream - it does measure a little lower, but because of the angle being steeper than stock, it's actually about the same from the perspective of your eye. Being steeper, it seems to push the wind higher than the stock screen and being wider it creates a larger area of quiet air. For me, it was vastly superior from a noise standpoint.

The OEM tinted screen LOOKS great, but it had the same noise issue (obviously) for me.

There are Australian dealers for VSteam, so maybe you can get it a bit cheaper from them? I show it for $261 from Mototoys OZ:

http://mototoys.com.au/product/vstre...or-bmw-f800gt/

Cassons Pty, Ltd.
    Unit 2, 25 Wonderland Dr., Eastern Creek NSW 2766, Australia
    Tel: 61(0)2 8882 1900
    Fax: 61(0)2 8882 1999
    Web: www.cassons.com.au

Mototoys Oz | ZTechnik® Products for BMW® Motorcycles Only
    Unit T5, 48 Throsby St.
    Wickham, NSW, 2293 Australia
    Mobile: (04) 0028 4840
    Web: www.mototoys.com.au
    Thanks again, ordered from Mototoys, well a quote at this stage.

Cheers

Ric

Real Name
    Chris
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Did you try the Madstad? Not sure what the price difference is. You might be able to find someone nearby who has one and try it before spending money on either.

Chris

Real Name
    Ric
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '01 R1100S
    VStream arrived Friday, so I fitted it, and managed to try it out today on my usual commute. It's noticeably quieter, which I was able to confirm via my helmet cam vids.

It gives the bike a slightly different feel, which I felt was positive, but also maybe a placebo effect.

A small panel gap on the left side where it is not a perfect fit like the right side, which I was able to improve with a little fiddling yesterday. It's almost perfect now, and maybe I can improve it with a bit more fiddling. No one will notice, unless I try for a concours.

Looks great on the black storm metallic, so pretty happy.

53. Likesch4gas, IanA liked this post

3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    A small panel gap on the left side where it is not a perfect fit like the right side, which I was able to improve with a little fiddling yesterday. It's almost perfect now, and maybe I can improve it with a bit more fiddling. No one will notice, unless I try for a concours.

Looks great on the black storm metallic, so pretty happy.
    Interesting comment, I had the same issue. Nearly took the screen off to refit but managed, like yourself, to improve with a bit of fiddling. Still not as close a fit as the right hand side but will leave it.

Hubert

Real Name
    Adrian
    2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    It's interesting that the VStream works well without the any 'cut outs' at the base of the screen to allow additional airflow, this after all is why the madstad works so well, most of the other screens appear to have these 'inlets'. I've found the sport Vstream in the UK, but think I'd need the next highest in the range to try

Real Name
    Ric
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '01 R1100S
    The VStream does have a gap at the bottom to improve flow.

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    2 Days Ago
    Glad you found the V Stream successful, Ric! Flyrider's infectious enthusiasm decided it for me, although I went for the expensive route and bought direct from the US. (Oz$ rate was better than it is now, Ouch!) Don't stop now, mate. Plenty more stuff you can pile on.

Name:	20191211_160906.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	358481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191211_160822_001.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	358483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gt plate.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	358485

I did get a bit carried away, I guess, but I don't regret any of these farkles, so far....

Suspension mods - full Wilburs kit lowered shocks front and rear, YSS valves on front forks
    OEM extralow seat + homemade gel pad for touring
    Rox adjustable 'bar risers
    T-Rex frame sliders + GoPro mount
    Drink bottle carrier
    Red rim tape to match body striping (for the helluvit)
    Garmin GPS mount to power supply
    Custom plate (pure vanity)
    shortened side stand
    removed centrestand, pending modification
    BoosterPlug
    mirror stem extension spacers
    Grip Puppies

Good luck with yours Ric (and Robert too. Sorry we kinda hijacked your thread)
    Last edited by IanA; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:47 AM.

5 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    Glad you found the V Stream successful, Ric! Flyrider's infectious enthusiasm decided it for me, although I went for the expensive route and bought direct from the US. (Oz$ rate was better than it is now, Ouch!) Don't stop now, mate. Plenty more stuff you can pile on.

I did get a bit carried away, I guess, but I don't regret any of these farkles, so far....

Suspension mods - full Wilburs kit lowered shocks front and rear, YSS valves on front forks
    Drink bottle carrier
    shortened side stand
    BoosterPlug
    Grip Puppies

That screen looks great on the bike!

Real Name
    Geoff
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '94 R1100RS
    Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post

Drink bottle carrier
    shortened side stand
    BoosterPlug
    Grip Puppies

Ian,

What is that blue stuff in the rear brake reservoir?
    Sundog