2007 F800S Resurrection Thread. Addressing All Issues - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

3 Weeks Ago
    I know I will need the experience and expertise of you guys, and hope to use this thread as I undertake the task of making this beautiful bike a reliable ride.

I only had two days to research before I pulled the trigger on this 2007 with only 6500 miles on the clock. In that short time I gained some idea of what I would be facing and decided that I could do it with some help, and got a short list of things that I would have to address.

Why this bike? It has never so much as tipped over, never seen the rain, garage kept and bought from the first owner. The price was right (I hope) because it is in non running condition after being left with fuel in it for 5 years. Ouch. It was serviced at a BMW dealership in 2014, taken home with a new back tire and left to sit there.

My first order of business is to get it running. I have thus far only been able to make it fire with the use of starting fluid, which only told me so much and left a lot of questions open.

So my approach is subject to change, but thus far the plan is:

1. Fuel System. Will drain old fuel and clean system all the way to the throttle bodies, and add a new fuel pump and strainer. The pump in on the way now and should arrive within a week. I got it from Quantum Fuel Systems and opted for the filter.

2. Check the idle hoses under the air box for kinks or splits. Should I go ahead and buy the never shorter version now?

3. Check voltage from charging system and hope I do not need a stator. Bike has a new battery and she cranks fast but the first owner stated that he thought the computer had a trickle draw on the battery because his battery kept going dead. I don't think that is likely and a bad stator and/or rectifier is the culprit. And I believe that means the alternator could have had a rough 6500 miles.

4. Swap all fluids. Bike has ABS. Rotors are smooth as new but the rear brake reservoir was bone dry.

5. Once road worthy and reliable i will take it in for the rear bearing and axle recall, and have another key made, since it only came with one key.

6. LISTEN TO YOU GUYS. I don't want to work dead ends, or throw parts and problems so will be updating this thread with results as they happen. I do not have any electronics to monitor what is going on within the canbus, so if anyone is in the Little Rock Arkansas area or Hot Springs, chime in. i have a fairly well equipped shop with two other bikes in it so, you know, beer is available.

What else should I do while I have the bike in my shop and before i can expect to ride it for an hour or so? The bike was manufactured in November 2006. Are their any sensors that I should just replace now?

Please feel free to give your advice and experience and modify my plan anyway you think I should. I am a decent wrench, given the time.
    Last edited by electric.infidel; 02-09-20 at 07:35 AM. Reason: edit

2. ThanksRoadpizza thanked for this post
    LikesSuperduper liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

3 Weeks Ago

Real Name
    Cramer
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Pick up a shop manual if you haven't yet.

I would hold off on the vacuum hoses and see if it develops stalling problems. It certainly didn't happen to everyone. Or you can do what I did and just use fuel hose instead.

I've probably had more stator problems than anyone, but all mine lasted more than 6500 miles. The original BMW ones lasted by far the longest because they have the most insulation. So just check the voltage once you get it running. To be sure, you could unplug it and test all three poles at idle and 3k RPM. If you need to replace it and plan to keep this bike long term I would consider changing the rotor to the newer version while you are in there.

Your antifreeze will probably be fine, but as you mention, definitely do the brake fluid and oil.

I'm not sure I would trust a tire that sat for 5 years, but I guess it depends on the environment.

Rear bearing will probably be fine, but the shop will check it for you for free due to the recall. However they usually won't replace it unless it goes bad. While it's in the shop you might want to have them check and reset the computer (after you've done all the work).

I hope it ends up being worth the work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

6. LikesSuperduper liked this post
  7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

3 Weeks Ago
    Today I installed a new quantum fuel pump and hooked up a good hot battery and got no results, no surprise but i had to try it.

I removed the airbox and opened the throttle while cranking, and one injector drips and the other stays dry.

I did not disconnect the fuel line to the rail yet because I really doubt I installed a bad brand new fuel pump, and I didnt have any connectors on hand to reinstall, so I will pick up some hose clamps tomorrow and check pressure to the rail.

So, if that turns out to be good as I expect, I have three questions.
    What value of ohms I wonder should I see on the terminals?
    Do I need any special tool to pull the injectors?
    Should a good soaking of the tips in carb cleaner do the trick?

Ok, 4 questions, is there going to be a screen or strainer that I should check in there somewhere?

Thanks again.

Real Name
    Cramer
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I've had the fuel pump out and changed the filter at the bottom of it, but I've never messed with the other end of the fuel system other than to move the whole rail in order to replace my throttle position sensor. To do that I was able to leave the hose attached and just lean the whole rail out of the way. I don't know about cleaning the tips or anything else on that end.

08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Cascade Locks, Oregon, US Roadpizza is offline Volunteer Moderator - Global

Real Name
    Philip
    3 Hours Ago
    I have a Sunset Yellow 2007 S. Make sure the rear bearing has been replaced and the belt is in good condition. The only thing that has been a problem ( if a rare one) has been the rare fuel starvation when it has been run in hot weather and has a half a tank or less of fuel. Other then that, it has and still remains a very good bike. Keep premium non-ethanol gas in it and it will run fine.
    http://www.thefcconnection.com/pictu...the_week22.htm
    BMW F800S…….
    po tym jak zatwierdzę wiadomo¶ć

Ezekiel 23:19-20 

3 Weeks Ago
    Can anyone tell me why I would not be getting 12v to the fuel pump?

I set up a cleaning rig this morning and cleaned injectors and rail, verified function of both new and old fuel pumps, but I am not getting the 12v from the bike to power the pump while installed in the bike. No voltage at the fuel pump connector. At this point I do not know what to check, and why it would not have 12 volts.... help!

Real Name
    Cramer
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    You should get 12+ volts when you turn the key on. For that matter, you should be able to hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds as it builds pressure.

You could have a fuel pump controller problem. If this link doesn't work search it on this forum: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    The red and brown wire going to the pump comes from the controller. There is a blue (and red dot) and a blue (green dot) coming from the computer to the controller along with a brown ground. This is all based off the manual, as I have never seen it.

The only tests (other than visual) in the manual for the injectors is resistance. They should be about 12.4 ohms