HyperPro Fork Oil - Thumbs Down - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Peter
    4 Days Ago
    As I posted last year, I changed my fork springs and fork oil for 'upgraded' HyperPro items at the start of the summer.
    HyperPro recommend using their oil with their springs, so I bought it. However, whilst the springs gave a big improvement on front end dive, I felt from the start that their oil gave too firm a damping response over small road irregularities, which made the front feel a bit too remote. Big bumps were fine, but it just felt like it was letting the tyre skip a bit over small surface changes.

Anyway, decided to change it again today and go back to Motul 10w fork oil but keep the HyperPro springs in there.
    The picture below is (most of) the oil that drained out after 4000 miles riding last year. When I drained the forks last year (after 10,000 miles riding...), the Motul oil that I drained out was still amber/red-ish and still slightly translucent, and of course the new HyperPro was clean and a transparent amber. And yes, I did clean and rinse the forks out before changing it.

So only a relatively short time to get black and sludgy, and now looks even thicker (contamination?/dirt?/breakdown?) than when I put it in.
    So I wouldn't recommend their fork oil to anyone, and I'm happy to be going back to a Motul product on this. As always, YMMV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hyperpro_oil.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	355853

2. ThanksDaboo, MGD109 thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    bever
    9 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    did it smell burnt-off? very dark in colour.
    Last edited by 308bever; 02-12-20 at 04:37 PM. Reason: wrong word

5. LikesPanuno liked this post

Real Name
    Peter
    4 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by 308bever View Post
    did it smell burnt-off? very dark in colour.
    Burnt-off is not a bad description. Not exactly like that, but maybe something similar.
    And yes, very black and sludgy, far more so that the fork oil in my old RD350 2-stroke, and that's been in there 10 years.

7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

16 Minutes Ago
    when you changed them last year did you give the forks a good clean out? a lot of sludge sits in the lower section where the bolt goes through to hold the stanchion.

TBH I buy the BMW oil when I get the seals and o-rings. As it is a once every 5 year job, I don't mind spending more out on what they recommend to not have to do it at intermittent intervals.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

Real Name
    Peter
    4 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    when you changed them last year did you give the forks a good clean out? a lot of sludge sits in the lower section where the bolt goes through to hold the stanchion..
    Of course. I always have a gallon or so of Isopropyl alcohol on hand and use it for this amongst other things.
    And last years fork oil change came out cleaner and clearer than this after 10,000 miles riding.
    Of course new springs will rub/wear a little bit and contribute to this, but I haven't seen fork oil this bad after such a short time. Generally just very disappointed with that oil, though the springs were great.

When I was emailing with HyperPro technical asking questions about their oil last yer (and not getting an answer to my question...), their technical guy was adamant that my issue with front end feel was entirely down to stiction from the fork seals, despite just changing the oil and springs. Still, water under the bridge now but just wanted to give a heads up to use a better oil.

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Panuno View Post
    Of course. I always have a gallon or so of Isopropyl alcohol on hand and use it for this amongst other things...
    Do you leave the forks on the bike when you use the Isopropyl alcohol? Or just pour it in and let it flush through the drain hole?

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

16 Minutes Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Panuno View Post
    Of course. I always have a gallon or so of Isopropyl alcohol on hand and use it for this amongst other things.
    And last years fork oil change came out cleaner and clearer than this after 10,000 miles riding.
    Of course new springs will rub/wear a little bit and contribute to this, but I haven't seen fork oil this bad after such a short time. Generally just very disappointed with that oil, though the springs were great.

When I was emailing with HyperPro technical asking questions about their oil last yer (and not getting an answer to my question...), their technical guy was adamant that my issue with front end feel was entirely down to stiction from the fork seals, despite just changing the oil and springs. Still, water under the bridge now but just wanted to give a heads up to use a better oil.
    How odd, you would think their oil would be good to use - although I guess it is more likely rebranded.

I'll be interested to see what my oil looks like in 5 years time!
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

Real Name
    Peter
    4 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Do you leave the forks on the bike when you use the Isopropyl alcohol? Or just pour it in and let it flush through the drain hole?

Chris
    There is no drain hole Chris That bolt in the bottom holds the damper assembly in place!
    So it's all done with the forks off the bike one at a time, so I can drain flush, rinse, and then clamp them upside down in the bench vice to drip-dry.
    It's also a whole load easier to get the circlip out when the fork is held in the vice, it's like a 5-second job then.