Cutting out at low revs - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Alex
    20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Hello all,I'm looking for advice on my F800ST, (42000km)
    Cold weather all week and riding 50 miles/day. This morning the bike started on the button, moved into 1st and she cut out. Started again no problem, in 1st with more revs and moved off fine, changed into 2nd and she cut out. Started again no problem but had to keep revs up, went round the block in 1st, came back to my house (400m) and as soon as I stopped she cut out again. Parked up and took the cage to work!

Similar problem 4 months ago was fixed by replacing the battery BUT at that time the dash would reset or go blank when starting - this time time the dash is perfectly normal so I'm thinking it's NOT the battery but something else?
    All/any advice on what I should be looking for would be very much appreciated

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Laurent
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    alternator maybe.

Real Name
    Cramer
    10 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    It would be worth checking the voltage, but I doubt that's the problem. If voltage was so low to cause a stall, it would be way too low for it to start. An engine requires a small fraction of the amps to run compared to turning it over to start.

More likely is a problem with the idle air controller. It could be dirty, or there could be a pinched vacuum hose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

I always give the same advice for stalling at idle. Before adjusting or replacing anything reset adaptations (use GS-911 or Motoscan app) to see if that fixes the issue.

7. LikesBoxerBits liked this post

Real Name
    Alex
    20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwroadsterca View Post
    I always give the same advice for stalling at idle. Before adjusting or replacing anything reset adaptations (use GS-911 or Motoscan app) to see if that fixes the issue.
    She's not stalling at idle, only when changing gear and letting clutch out, unless I keep the revs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitwar222 View Post
    She's not stalling at idle, only when changing gear and letting clutch out, unless I keep the revs up
    Advice still applies.

Real Name
    Carl
    3 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '18 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '98 VFR800
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    Sounds to me like you have fuel starvation if it is cutting out as you ask the engine to give more revs? Check your fuel pump and filters attached to it. ( BMW call it a strainer, hopefully the picture has uploaded)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...iagId=16_06440

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	356105

Name:	fuel assby.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	356107
    As other posts say:
    Failing that the EGR valves can be problematic and breather pipes having kinks, I assume you have checked these, as is easy fix.

23 Minutes Ago
    a) does it idle ok - no issues, stalls or misfires?
    b) does it rev ok when not in gear, at a stand still? again, no misfires, or stalls?

The idle circuit and throttle bodies are independent of one another.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

Real Name
    Alex
    20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Well, this is slightly embarrassing.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

Today I found the +'ve terminal battery lead was slightly loose, like a quarter turn. 30 min ride with no problems!

13. LikesDaboo, ccramerusc, MGD109 liked this post

23 Minutes Ago
    better to be something simple and easily solved, than a thorough check of multiple items!
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Spotlights, 50K Miles 

Real Name
    Alex
    20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    better to be something simple and easily solved, than a thorough check of multiple items!
    Too true!

Real Name
    Gary Wardle
    3 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmy View Post
    Sounds to me like you have fuel starvation if it is cutting out as you ask the engine to give more revs? Check your fuel pump and filters attached to it. ( BMW call it a strainer, hopefully the picture has uploaded)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...iagId=16_06440

Name:	pump.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	356105

Name:	fuel assby.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	356107
    As other posts say:
    Failing that the EGR valves can be problematic and breather pipes having kinks, I assume you have checked these, as is easy fix.
    I had an issue when I'd been running for a time then came to a standstill the bike cut out it did it for a week then I check the fuel filler and it was like it was sealing too well, I only noticed it when I went too full up and there was an audible a gasp as I opened the filler, I cleaned the filler neck and it was fine. Then next day I found the breather was kinked and was not letting air back into the tank problem solved.

Real Name
    Aditya
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F 800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazk View Post
    I had an issue when I'd been running for a time then came to a standstill the bike cut out it did it for a week then I check the fuel filler and it was like it was sealing too well, I only noticed it when I went too full up and there was an audible a gasp as I opened the filler, I cleaned the filler neck and it was fine. Then next day I found the breather was kinked and was not letting air back into the tank problem solved.
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been having an intermittent problem where the bike stalls when moving from 1st gear. It happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.
    I've read about this kinked hose issue in other threads as well. Please let me know how I can check that. Where are the hoses that could cause such problems located?

2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by lateral_G View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been having an intermittent problem where the bike stalls when moving from 1st gear. It happens sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.
    I've read about this kinked hose issue in other threads as well. Please let me know how I can check that. Where are the hoses that could cause such problems located?
    Assuming it is not because you have the kick-stand down because the bike will cut out (safety feature). It also happens because of an old fuel pump, fuel filter, bad fuel pump controller, etc. Check out the real oem site for the location of the hoses - https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_1305
    '07 F800ST - 20Kish miles, Heated grips, Multi-Function Display, Center Stand....yaddi yaddi yaddi..Loving the two wheels down life.

Real Name
    Aditya
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F 800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by shahrkster View Post
    Assuming it is not because you have the kick-stand down because the bike will cut out (safety feature). It also happens because of an old fuel pump, fuel filter, bad fuel pump controller, etc. Check out the real oem site for the location of the hoses - https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_1305
    Thank you. I will try to check those hoses. The kickstand wasn't down when I experienced any of the problems. I rode it again today and had a few more similar problems, but I'll post them in a new thread.

Real Name
    Alex
    20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by lateral_G View Post
    Have you checked the battery leads are FULLY tightened? That was my problem as you'll see from posts above!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Rabbitwar222; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:42 AM.

Real Name
    Aditya
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F 800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitwar222 View Post
    Have you checked the battery leads are FULLY tightened? That was my problem as you'll see from posts above!

Good Luck!
    I did check them during the airbox removal process for getting to the idle actuator hoses etc., and they were pretty firm. Just for good measure, I have put the battery on a charger for now, and I'll give it a shot along with some other things I'll be checking. I created a separate thread, and a forum veteran gave me some suggestions there, so I'll be going through those.
    Thank you!

1 Week Ago
    Did you try to put some Fuel "add on" to clean the entire system?
    My brother had a similar issue and doing the above helped him.