170cm height for F800ST standard seat or low seat option? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Viktor
    02-16-20
    Hi

I am in the market for a first bike in a form of an F800ST.

I am 170cm height

Will i need to hunt or purchase the low seat option or my feet will get flat on to the tarmac/surface without a problem on standard seat height as well? * i had no chance to try one out yet*

Anyone with my height could advise?

Regards

Viktor

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Welcome,

Adding inseam can be useful.

To save other members working it out 170 = 5' 7"

FWIW I'm 5' 10" (178) and can flat foot with the high seat fitted. Standard was a bit low for me.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Viktor
    02-16-20
    Thanks

whats the high seat combination seat height?
    i have these factory values written:

840 mm / 33,1 in -- Standard seat
    815 mm / 32,1 in – Low seat
    760 mm / 29,9 in – Low suspension

Quote Originally Posted by MGD109 View Post
    Welcome,

Adding inseam can be useful.

To save other members working it out 170 = 5' 7"

FWIW I'm 5' 10" (178) and can flat foot with the high seat fitted. Standard was a bit low for me.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    This link (thanks Chris) shows different to the info you have.

https://advdepot.com/products/bmw-op...ats-f800r-gt-2
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

7. LikesDaboo liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    22 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Seat height is only one part of the equation. What none of those measurements will tell you, is how much the sides of the seat slope down, or how wide it is. Or how much preload you have dialed in to the rear suspension. Or how comfortable you are when stopped.

I can offer you this though. I'm 5'6" which I think works out to 170 cm. I have a 28 inch (71 cm) inseam. And while I can't flat foot at stops, I can get the front of my foot down at stops well enough to feel comfortable. And I'm using the standard seat on a GT. On trips, I'll add an Airhawk seat cushion which probably raises the effective seat height another quarter inch or more.

The "trick" on any of this is to not let the bike get off center when you stop. You can balance a bike on your tip-toes as long as it doesn't go off center. And you can stop with only one foot on the ground if the bike is even taller. You just have to make up your mind that you aren't going to let the bike get off center, and if you can touch only on one side, that you plan ahead when you stop. Do it often enough, and you don't even think about it.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    Viktor
    02-16-20
    Hi

Chris thats absolutely right and spot on

Im confident the low seat option will work for me.

Regarding the measurements I pasted i got them from bmwwiki.org and indeed it does not line up with the ones You guys added in the reply... my source might have been wrong then...

Actually the height measurements are more in my favours as raw numbers go than the ones i pasted from bmwwiki.org

How much is a good choice an F800 series bike like the ST for a first bike for commuting to work out of town on a daily basis ( city and highway) about 80 - 85km in total per day ?

Im in my late 30s now My plan is not to be the quickest or craziest and I def not planning on dying on the thing. Safe and Sound All that counts....

Viktor

Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    Seat height is only one part of the equation. What none of those measurements will tell you, is how much the sides of the seat slope down, or how wide it is. Or how much preload you have dialed in to the rear suspension. Or how comfortable you are when stopped.

I can offer you this though. I'm 5'6" which I think works out to 170 cm. I have a 28 inch (71 cm) inseam. And while I can't flat foot at stops, I can get the front of my foot down at stops well enough to feel comfortable. And I'm using the standard seat on a GT. On trips, I'll add an Airhawk seat cushion which probably raises the effective seat height another quarter inch or more.

The "trick" on any of this is to not let the bike get off center when you stop. You can balance a bike on your tip-toes as long as it doesn't go off center. And you can stop with only one foot on the ground if the bike is even taller. You just have to make up your mind that you aren't going to let the bike get off center, and if you can touch only on one side, that you plan ahead when you stop. Do it often enough, and you don't even think about it.

Chris

Real Name
    Chris
    22 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by viktormadarasz View Post

How much is a good choice an F800 series bike like the ST for a first bike for commuting to work out of town on a daily basis ( city and highway) about 80 - 85km in total per day ?...
    I think the ST will do great for you as a commuter. The fairing will give you enough protection to shield you some from the elements, but not so much you're pushing a barn door through the air. The bike is economical, yet has enough power to get out of tight spots.

And the bike is so much fun that I think you'll be looking for your next commute.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '11 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '86 750 F1
    Motorcycle
    '78 3 1/2
    At one point, I had a regular, low, and extra low seat. I took photos of them all on my F800S:

https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...-Low-in-Photos

My height is 157mm and my inseam is approximately 74mm.

A low seat is not always the best option. The extra low BMW seat is very flat; I found the regular low seat much more comfortable because it is only a little lower than the regular seat but the sides (where my legs are) are angled more steeply. That makes a big difference. The ability to put one's legs out (down) is more important than being closer to the ground.

I can use the standard seat with little problem, but I find it too soft for long rides. The BMW low seat is more firm. That is the main reason why I use it.
    My spoon is too big. 

Real Name
    Jason A
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F 800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    I’m 5’7” and I one foot it most of the time.
    On my original bike I opted for the low seat which was nice as I could put both feet down comfortably, but it’s flat and not very comfortable. I decided to stay with the standard seat on the new bike because the extra cushion is nice, and the position feels a little better. I can tip toe with both feet, usually prefer to push the bike around rather than tip toe it backwards, and one footing it isn’t so bad.
    Main problem with the standard seat is it always pushes you forward. Be nice to add some height to the front or take some out from the rear.
    Got a Corbin seat off a member of the forum. It’s a little wider so even tougher to get feet down, but it is flatter, more comfortable. I usually put down my right foot so I’ll slide over a little bit and get it down. Usually on the ball of my foot, depending on my shoes too, that makes a difference.
    I can’t believe that this Corbin isn’t waterproof, hows a seat gonna cost so much and it takes in water, unbelievable if you ask me, I didn’t know this until it got wet and I read their website. But it is really nice, and the price was right. looks fantastic after I put the sno seal on, but doesn’t really keep the water out.
    Quote Originally Posted by batamali View Post
    Can you pass that $#it you,ve been smokin Arles?...
    yes i can...