BMW F800 Forum banner

Triumph manufacturing news

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  WildWilly 
#1 ·
Reactions: TheMeteor
#4 ·
Well, that's not going to make Britain great again. Boris isn't looking out for the working English bloke.
But maybe like the BMW factory in Berlin years ago, it was peopled by foreign workers getting lower wages than the Germans were getting. So if you shipped manufatcturing to another country it didn't matter.

#6 ·
This is a difficult one..... but I'm entitled to my point of view. I believe if you trade on heritage surely your bike should be built in the place that your claiming your heritage from.
I recently made a comment on a comparison test between a BMW R9t racer and Thaiumph Thruxton R, I suggested that the Beemer had Berlin air in it's tyres and the Thruxton Thai air and regardless of how many union jack stickers and pretend amal covers on fuel injection the Beemer as the better provenance.
Some mad bitch called me a racist, I reported her and removed my post as I have no wish to upset anyone.
My Kawasaki 650 mk3 versys and my new Honda cub were built in Thailand and they are very good.
But if your playing the heritage card Shouldn't a Harley be built in the USA and a BMW in Germany, I'm a realist though when I got to know my 08 f800s usually by cleaning it I stopped counting when I got to 7 or 8 countries which had supplied quality components this on my best ever bike, I hope my new f800gt is as good with its German metz tyres instead of the 014 French made Bridgestone fitted to my f800s.
John bloor is a clever astute multi millionaire and I'm sure he knows what he is doing the move will be a success. He will probably ignore advice from a bloke who sells sheds (me).
Only had one triumph a tiger explorer 1200.... less said about that the better.

#10 ·
"Thought small minded political commentary was frowned upon in this forum?"

Perhaps but from what I understood at the time that's the way it was. Perhaps you have more accurate information?
But given the production of products at the current time international cooperation is just the way it is?

#17 · (Edited)
Here is an interesting comment from the former Royal Enfield motorcycles U.S. importer (who imported the bikes for about 15 years before the factory decided to take over importing and put him out of a job):

I want to tread very lightly here - When Harley wanted to come to India they were refused - period. Yet our beloved RE's could come to the US.
Without getting into the long details Harley opened a plant in India because of the tariffs that India made them pay just to import their bikes. As much as 150%.
How if that fair? We allow Indian products into the US duty-free yet they do not reciprocate. Why? Simple answer because they could. The tariffs ensured that manufacturing had to be done in India if you wanted to compete

Not a pro-Trump post but.... fair is fair. Same thing with China. If let their stuff in for no duty why should our businesses pay duty to bring things into China?
I could have added 10 full-time good-paying jobs with full benefits if the tariffs were fair. We had a lot of calls for items that we sold in India. It is a huge market but we could not do it because of the import duties imposed by India. Yet I was bringing in items from there for free. You can have cheap Chinese/Indian prices or you can have jobs not both

Reactions: WildWilly
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.