BMW F800 Forum banner

Corona virus

581K views 2K replies 32 participants last post by  Flook 
#1 ·
Everybody by now has heard plenty on the world-wide spread of the corona virus. It seems to be everywhere. Washington state had a death attributed to it in recents news. So what is happening in your neck of the woods?
Any local or national news concerning this is welcome. I'm not sure as to what to make of it myself. Maybe by combining any information here as some kind of information port. A greater understand of what is going on can be ascertained.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/worse-than-flu-busting-coronavirus-myths

#97 ·
I just heard that both Ireland and France will be completely shut down by their governments, just like was done in Italy, until March 29. Not sure what happens after that. :confused:

Meanwhile the UK and Boris is ignoring the virus and mostly cruising right along as normal, according to an interview today with a reporter in Dublin. Even the toilet paper is being manufactured as fast as it is purchased.

Reactions: Roadpizza
#98 ·
Just waiting for the announcement whether the F1 Grand Prix is going to happen. Practice is due to begin in about an hour. Rumour has it that the event may go ahead but without spectators. Expect riots as crowds are already waiting at the gates to get in. Gonna be an interesting day, Albert Park is just a couple of miles away from our place, might have to man the barricades!
On a more serious note, I am a bit concerned. Thanks to Lymphoma and five years of treatment, my immunity status is crap, I am officially "elderly", I attend lots of crowd events, we get daily visits from my partner's grandkids and their mother who is a GP, and we are running out of hand steriliser. Prefer fighting enemies I can actually see...

#101 ·
Ian, it would be a bit of a problem for you. My immune system is still not 100 percent and I've been thinking about it all. I'm supposed to go for an oncology checkup in a couple of weeks, but seriously considering skipping it, as I don't want to have the remotest chance of taking anything into the oncology ward. I'm only around the block from work, but lately, I've been taking the longer way around the block(extra 30 metres) so I don't have to walk past the community health centre with patients walking in and out all the time.

#99 ·
My friend sent a message earlier that a member of the Mclaren team has the virus and the team was going to pull out of the race....The rules have stated that if one team pulls, there isn't suppose to be a race.

#100 ·
Melbourne GP cancelled.

Reactions: IanA and Roadpizza
#103 ·
Come on, Phil, he has addressed the nation about this "foreign" virus. What more could you ask for from Potus?

#108 ·
Did you happen to see Trump and Pence standing next to the President of a South American country recently who later was found to have the Corona virus? Trump says that neither of them plan to be tested to see if they have the virus. Since both the President and VP are over 60 and in the high-risk group, maybe we will see a change in administration quicker than expected. [;)]

#109 ·
My son-in-law sent me this information regarding the virus which seems reasonable, but I will let you decide if it is correct:

*IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT* - CORONAVIRUS --

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold.

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

*THE SYMPTOMS*

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days

2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases:
Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous.

#117 ·
I went to my local Safeway this morning and the lines were very long with only three registers open and for some reason all of the self-help registers were closed. It looked to me that most people were stocking up for a two-week internment. All I bought was one of their 11" diameter $5 apple pies that were on sale today. [:D]

#118 ·
My daughter has just been notified by the University of California, Santa Cruz, where my granddaughter is receiving her expensive education that next quarter the school's classes will be provided via the internet and they can take their classes at home, if they wish. Still, no one has reported being sick at the University, but I guess they just want to jump on the "bandwagon". :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.