BMW F800 Forum banner

Corona virus

581K views 2K replies 32 participants last post by  Flook 
#1 ·
Everybody by now has heard plenty on the world-wide spread of the corona virus. It seems to be everywhere. Washington state had a death attributed to it in recents news. So what is happening in your neck of the woods?
Any local or national news concerning this is welcome. I'm not sure as to what to make of it myself. Maybe by combining any information here as some kind of information port. A greater understand of what is going on can be ascertained.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/29/worse-than-flu-busting-coronavirus-myths

#2 ·
In the SF Bay Area the people affected by the virus are unfortunately multiply every day. [:(] Needless to say the TV news media is having a field day reporting on the virus.

Reactions: Roadpizza
#3 ·
Here in the boondocks (Iowa/Illinois) people are watching the news reports but there is nothing here to report. I'm 25 miles away from the world headquarters of John Deere and they do a lot of business in China. I see that as a "potential" source as their higher-ups travel to China on a regular basis.

#4 ·
Last night the TV news reported that there were 25 people in California with confirmed cases of the virus.

#5 ·
In the past few minutes The Republic of Ireland has reported it's first case, a person was confirmed in the North a couple of days ago but not known if there is any connection. We have interesting times ahead! :grouphug:

#7 ·
My Congressman sent this today...

As you may already know, just yesterday, Oregon reported its first confirmed case of coronavirus.
I am closely monitoring the situation in our state, and have spoken with Oregon Health Authority officials. Right now, my top priority is making sure that all Oregonians have the most up-to-date information and resources they need to keep themselves and their loved ones safe.
Here are a few best practices that health officials are recommending:

• Wash your hands frequently
  • Avoid contact with those who might be sick or showing symptoms
  • Stay home if you're not feeling well
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve if sneezing or coughing
Please rest assured that I am doing everything in my power to push Congressional leadership to get federal funds moving quickly to our state to keep Oregonians safe and healthy.
In the meantime, while we wait for more information, please continue to monitor the Oregon Health Authority's website for key information, updates and tips on how to stay safe.
More soon,

#10 ·
I see the Simpsons predicted Trump and the following downfall of America once elected, now they seem to be onto the corona virus... Is there a time traveller involved here or just some very good foresight?:shocked:

Reactions: oxytotl
#13 ·
The news has been reporting that northern Italy is really having it tough, with entire towns locked down.

I really worry about the virus getting into nursing homes. It could have a field day with the elderly and infirm in those institutions. The results would not be good. [:(]

#14 · (Edited)
Aus has had it's first fatality. An elderly gent that caught it on the cruise ship that was quarantined in Japan, prior to returning to Aus under quarantine.

Reactions: IanA and Roadpizza
#16 ·
Hello people,
in Italy two infection clusters that have been quarantined, both of them in the north, they are considered red zones, and no one can get in/out.
We've been said it's like a normal flu, but people are scared, even tough mortality seems to be perhaps even lower comparing it with an usual flu.
If you are healthy (and have no particular healt problems, chronical disease, under chemotherapy...), you should have no problems.
Masks are useless, good just not to spread the disease. The best way to avoid the illness is to live like we normally do in Genoa:

don't meet people
don't shake hands
don't approach anyone less than 1 meter (approx. 1 yard)
avoid places where people meet each other
avoid places where people seem to be happy (bars, pubs, discos, cinemas...)
being angry, disrespectful and complaining may also help [nod]

Not clear so far: we have chinese built so many hospitals, if this virus is really as harmless as we've been told? [ohno]
By the way, in Italy thousands and thousands of people have been tested, even the ones who have not clear symptoms, just to be sure they're not contagious.
I suspect that other countries in Europe haven't done the same

#22 · (Edited)
This is the problem in numbers.....

-Population of the United States-338.23 million

-Possible 70% contracting coronavirus-236.79 million

-Current death rate @ 2%-4.73-million

Most people will not know they carry the virus thus spreading it. The possibilities are sobering if taken to the rate of today.

Interesting time, this.

#24 ·
There was an interview this morning on the local news radio station with someone who is traveling in Spain. The traveler reported that the virus is having little impact in Spain. People are still going about their business, out and about, eating at restaurants and going to social functions and theaters. He said that the difference there is that the virus story is not being screamed about by the news media and is like the third or fourth topic discussed after local and national news stories.

Meanwhile, on the same SF Bay Area news station, they have been crying all morning long about the impact of the virus on local people, including wringing their hands about what happens if the virus attacks the homeless living on the streets and under freeway overpasses, what happens if it hits schools and universities, what happens if stores run out of food and water (better run out to the store and stock up now), what happens if you need to stay home for 14 days if you feel sick and the need to pass a law to force companies to pay their workers for staying home if they think they have the virus.

The news media has got some people so panicked about the virus that yesterday there was a huge rush by hundreds and hundreds of people on the local Costco stores that cleaned out their shelves of bottled water (why that?) and disposable disinfectant wipes. TV stories showed people with shopping carts full of supplies lined up all over the store in its checkout lines.

One thing is for sure, the media and their advertisers are not going to let this crisis go to waste.

In more shocking news: It was announced yesterday that the U.S.'s most highly paid TV personality, 78-year old Judge Judy, who is currently making $47 million a year, will have her daily TV show canceled by CBS, after 25 continuous years, at the end of this year. Fortunately, she is not giving up and plans to produce her own TV show next year, with the tittle of "Judy Justice" (or something like that). :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.