Selling My F800R - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Jurgen
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    After much deliberation and gnashing of teeth, I've decided to sell my F800R. I'm hardly riding it now and not enjoying the bike as I should. I've posted a few threads on some of the riding problems I've encountered. My good wife was originally against the idea because she's only known me as a motorcyclist. In these decisions she always supports me. By the way, I'm keeping my little Honda Super Cub, my daily run-around.

I've always needed an interest. I'm not the kind to sit around home. My wife and I have decided to join the Grey Nomads and are buying a campervan. She is behind me 100%. Not the gigantic Winnebago style (too big and expensive) but something a bit more compact. We are looking for a campervan on the VW Transporter T5 or T6 platform. I've set a budget and will be buying second hand. Australian mob Trakka have been converting VW Kombis since the 1970s and seem to be the pick. My wife is adamant the little Super Cub will be coming with us on our adventures and I agree. A month in Tasmania will be our first big trip. Wife's choice. We'll do a few short trips first to fine tune the campervan and us.

We've got some renovations on the house to complete like widening the driveway to accommodate the campervan. My old family home needs to be sold after my father's death. I've also promised the kitchen will be updated but hopefully we'll be set towards the end on the year. Once everything is done, we are off. There's a big wide land out here to explore.

Besides the bike, I have a heap of riding gear to off load. Mainly clothing, jackets, boots and a bit of luggage,, all in excellent condition. Let me know.
    padaek - A putrid and fetid smelling fermented fish sauce from Laos. 

2. ThanksDaboo, MGD109, steve n rose, IanA thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    1 Day Ago
    Sorry to hear that, Yogi! Any hope of a last minute reprieve? Nah, I thought not.
    A good friend of mine went down this route, although he has still hung on to his F650. He bought a VW ex NSW ambulance, perfect condition, all records, 35K Km., and built the conversion himself. It has turned out magnificently and he and his partner have been all over the eastern half without problems.
    Stay in touch, mate, I want to be around when you put the sidecar on the Cub....

5. Likespadaek, DOM, AliceNicho liked this post

Real Name
    Jurgen
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by IanA View Post
    Stay in touch, mate, I want to be around when you put the sidecar on the Cub....
    It's crossed my mind

I saw quite a few step thrus in Laos with side cars or a third wheel platform. Used as delivery vehicles.

Today Amanda and I were cruising Gumtree looking for VW Transporters that haven't been converted. Most are extradie vehicles. High mileage vehicles aren't all that expensive. Not too many long wheel base models around second hand. We were thinking of getting the conversion done ourselves. It would work out at around our budget anyway. Amanda wants all the luxuries and modcons.

7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dom
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800R
    G'Day yogi, Thanks for the great coffee and company. I'm sure you and wife will enjoy the van around our fantastic country !!
    As I mentioned to you I have a CAMPS Australia wide book that I don't use. It will give you some ideas of camp spots.
    Will get it to you next time I'm up your way. Maybe meet on one of your rides to shellharbour . I wonder if you have them trained as well as the Berry shop : )
    All the best with van searching.
    Dom

9. Likespadaek liked this post

Real Name
    Dom
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800R

Real Name
    Richard
    32 Minutes Ago
    Good luck finding a VW camper for a reasonable price. I have a friend who loves those vehicles and tells me that they have become collectable and prices are sky-high - at least in the U.S.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Nigel
    3 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Good luck finding a VW camper for a reasonable price. I have a friend who loves those vehicles and tells me that they have become collectable and prices are sky-high - at least in the U.S.
    Padaek is looking for a T5 or T6 to convert. These are pretty new and currently used by various companies such as the RAC and AA in the UK. Pretty popular to convert these and reasonable prices and a good tool.

Earlier derivatives dating from 70's and older not so plentiful and collectable by some, but that's not what he's planning to use.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Jurgen
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by DOM View Post
    G'Day yogi, Thanks for the great coffee and company. I'm sure you and wife will enjoy the van around our fantastic country !!
    As I mentioned to you I have a CAMPS Australia wide book that I don't use. It will give you some ideas of camp spots.
    Will get it to you next time I'm up your way. Maybe meet on one of your rides to shellharbour . I wonder if you have them trained as well as the Berry shop : )
    All the best with van searching.
    Dom
    Thanks Dom. I get my morning coffee at one of the fish & chip shops in Shellharbour. Good coffee, by the way. I just let the girl know I'm there and she brings it out to me. It's great being a local.

Real Name
    Jurgen
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    My wife and I got a bit nostalgic looking for campervans. We spent a bit of time looking at older VW Kombis, early 1970s or older. Depending on their condition and how they have been restored, the prices vary greatly. 20 years ago, we'd seriously consider an old Kombi. A good friend of mine also has a local mechanical workshop. Great mechanic and an absolute VW nut. He still has an early 1970s Beetle he bought when he was an apprentice, although a little more than standard now. He's now 60. He's also helping with the restoration of his son's Kombi T1 Splitty.

My wife and I are looking for more modern, comfortable and reliable. This what we're looking for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VW Transporter Trakka.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	358901

15. LikesRichard230, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Jurgen
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerBits View Post
    Padaek is looking for a T5 or T6 to convert. These are pretty new and currently used by various companies such as the RAC and AA in the UK. Pretty popular to convert these and reasonable prices and a good tool.

Earlier derivatives dating from 70's and older not so plentiful and collectable by some, but that's not what he's planning to use.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Nigel,, since we've been talking about campervans, we've been seeing heaps of VW Transporters on the road. Very popular here with tradesmen and delivery drivers. Toyota Hi Ace used to have the largest slice of the market, VW is catching up.

Real Name
    Richard
    32 Minutes Ago
    I see more of the old VW Kombis around here than I see more modern versions. Apparently, those things never die.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Jurgen
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    I see more of the old VW Kombis around here than I see more modern versions. Apparently, those things never die.
    Anything to do with the US tariffs on European vehicles?

Real Name
    Richard
    32 Minutes Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by padaek View Post
    Anything to do with the US tariffs on European vehicles?
    I have no idea. Does the U.S. have much of a tariff on EU vehicles? If so, it certainly doesn't impact the sales of Mercedes cargo vans. Those things are all over the place around here being used as both delivery vehicles and as an alternative to mini-vans and small campers.

20. Likespadaek liked this post

Real Name
    Pete
    3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '06 Bullet 500EX
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Sad you are selling the 8R Jurgen, good luck with the travels.

I know some one in Queensland (neighbor of my mate in Rockhampton- Allenstown), who bought a VV transporter cab chassis (was a Ute) and got a bus builder to build him a campervan with a small veranda at the back where he loads up his... wait for it 'postie bike'. no idea of price. looked a bit like this one I know this ones a Fiat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	campervan.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	882.4 KB 
ID:	359421  
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, 

Real Name
    Jurgen
    13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 Super Cub C125
    Motorcycle
    '02 Sprint RS
    Motorcycle
    '90 Le Mans
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by petespace1 View Post
    Sad you are selling the 8R Jurgen, good luck with the travels.

I know some one in Queensland (neighbor of my mate in Rockhampton- Allenstown), who bought a VV transporter cab chassis (was a Ute) and got a bus builder to build him a campervan with a small veranda at the back where he loads up his... wait for it 'postie bike'. no idea of price. looked a bit like this one I know this ones a Fiat.
    Pete,, I've got a Honda Super Cub C125 which is the same platform as the postie bike. I've researched racks that bolt onto the towbar. Easy to fit and not all that expensive. The little Super Cub is coming with us.