I'm back with my 3rd F800 in 10 years? This time a GT! - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Scott Francis
    03-30-20
    Hey gang, I'm VERY glad to be back amongst the purveyors of superb BMW motorcycle engineering (I've owned maybe 50 in my life now?) in the middleweight class of the superb F800. I just sold my '09 R1200GS after my "gf" said she doesn't want to ride with me (or anyone lol) any more. Too dangerous. I've never been one to force anyone to ride pillion since I hate it myself. I've owned and ridden bikes for over 50 years (I'm 62) and never even asked my kids, now 21 and 24, if they wanted to ride. They did a couple times, but mainly when I've had a couple old airhead sidehacks. I've never gotten to ride in one!

So now I found myself yearning for another BMW middleweight 800 after having owned both an F800S and F800ST. After living mostly with "big" bikes all my life, I was always amazed how well balanced, light, and easy and FUN to ride the F800s are. The GT is the best of the trio I've owned, with a bit more leg room, power, better luggage than the ST (never liked the expandable cases on my ST or my K1200S), combined with great bar backs (MV) that I normally despise having grown up and done track days on sport bikes like VFRs, GSX-Rs, and R1s.

Like my Honda car (a fairly rare 6-speed hybrid CR-Z I found for $5K in Alabama), once I decided on the model of bike I was going to invest in next, I happily found this sweet '13 GT just 45 minutes away. Slate gray (not sure of BMW's nomenclature for the colour), side cases, new Sargent seat, MV bar-backs, new Michelin Pilot Road 4's (my favorite street tires), and Magstad windscreen, for just $5K, I was convinced. Is this or any bike perfect? Nope. But with my experience of riding just about everything, doing 3K mile trips on my sweet '77RS two up, I would easily and very happily take my GT anywhere on the planet. At 6' 0" yes I might like a little more leg room, and a little less heat from the engine bay, but this bike is so easy to ride anywhere, and feels great doing so, I don't want to change.

Here's a couple pics, hope they come through.

Cheers, and contact me if you're ever in the God-forsaken land of Trump here in Florida.....Attachment 358899
    Last edited by Closed_casket; 03-15-20 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add pic

2. LikesRichard230, MGD109, padaek, Daboo, Norfolk UK and 2 others liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Wow! How many miles? If something happened to mine, I think I'd look for one the same color.

I'm planning a trip to Death Valley in a couple weeks. I've ridden all across the western half of the USA on mine and have never wished for another bike. And as for reliability, it has been flawless. I'm up to 50K on it now, and all I've done is the normal maintenance. I had the valves checked and they are still in spec. And I'm on the original drive belt. I couldn't ask for better.

You got an excellent deal...and I know you'll have miles of smiles on this GT.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

5. LikesTheMeteor liked this post

20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Nice looking bike, Scott. Welcome from the coast of Kansas.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

7. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bill
    8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Scott, you have the twin of my GT and mine is also my 3rd F800. One St and two GTs. Best all arounder I've ever owned and I've owned 33 motorcyles. You found an incredible bargain.
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

15 Hours Ago
    The second wave is happening
    My 3rd f800 I'm sure there are many other great bikes out there I have owned lots of them.
    BUT if you don't like buying petrol and maintaining chains this bike is number one.

4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    As a new (and first motorcycle overall) f800s owner, I'm really excited to hear that so many of you guys are coming back to this bike. I so far really love mine and agree, it's a super agile bike and incredibly fun to ride.

11. Likeszulujams liked this post

20 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttonwillow View Post
    As a new (and first motorcycle overall) f800s owner, I'm really excited to hear that so many of you guys are coming back to this bike. I so far really love mine and agree, it's a super agile bike and incredibly fun to ride.
    I agree, but I'm not exactly coming back to the 800. For me it is simply the result of an evolution in riding--over time I have gone to smaller and smaller bikes as I have gained experience and aged. As long as I want to tour a bit, I am not likely to find a smaller bike than my current ride. (The 310 is the only possibility I currently see in the marketplace.)
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800GS
    New rider myself on F800GS so far love everything about it. Especially the grip warmers.

Real Name
    Gerry
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Welcome, Scott. Enjoy the F.
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l 2016 GSX S1000 (Naked & Blue)
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...)