Clutch oddity? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

2 Weeks Ago
    So I have a clutch issue and I am no mechanic so I dont know the proper names but I was going to replace the discs and fibers when I noticed the brass piece (possibly the shaft linkage to transmission?) Has 3 weird crescent indentations that I feel shouldn't be there. Can anyone confirm and possibly explain this? The attached pictures show the indents

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_213343_1584317273151.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	358905   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200314_213347_1584317282856.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	358907  

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 SV650
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    From what I've read in other forums, that is actually an oil jet, very similar to a fuel jet in a carburetor, but this one allows a metered amount of oil thru. Pressurized oil is shot out from there to keep the clutch pack lubed with a constant supply of fresh oil. The marks that you're seeing are the peening marks to keep it in place since it's just light press fit.

2 Weeks Ago
    So I had figured that oil passed through the hole in the center, filling the clutch making it a "wet" clutch, I am worried that what you are calling pinning Mark's are some how allowing oil into the clutch even while the clutch lever is not pulled. Causing my clutch to slip a little. I have gone through 3 sets of discs and fibers in a 5 month period and I don't believe It is operator error, I could of course be wrong.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by drewf800 View Post
    ....I have gone through 3 sets of discs and fibers in a 5 month period and I don't believe It is operator error, I could of course be wrong........
    That would suggest there is something wrong. As far as I can tell the clutch on the F800 bikes is fairly robust I'm only 10,000 miles in but still on original clutch and I do a lot of slow heavy traffic ridding that requires a fair amount of clutch slipping. I can't recall any post on here regards premature clutch failure. Are you confident the cable is adjusted correctly?
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

2 Weeks Ago
    I did the discs myself the first time and cable adjustment ect, when it went bad again I thought it was something I did and so I took it to a certified bmw mechanic, and made sure they had the cable correctly calibrated. So... hell I dont know, I bought the bike a year ago second hand and it has been a headache the whole time, sadly. I had the gs1200 years back and I never had any issues, miss that bike.

9 Hours Ago
    What kind of oil are you using? Unlike the dry clutch in your previous bike, wet motorcycle clutches require you to use oil specifically formulated for motorcycles. Anti friction additives found in regular automotive oil for cars can cause the wet clutch to slip.

9. LikesRoy Barnes liked this post

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 SV650
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by drewf800 View Post
    So I had figured that oil passed through the hole in the center, filling the clutch making it a "wet" clutch, I am worried that what you are calling pinning Mark's are some how allowing oil into the clutch even while the clutch lever is not pulled.
    It should be receiving oil 100% of the time, it doesn't matter if the lever is pulled or not. As someone mentioned below, wet clutches use special oil, well maybe not 'special' but it does have to be motorcycle oil or the clutch will slip. My 800GS had about 47k miles on it when I sold it, original clutch and it was problem free. Error on the side of more freeplay at the clutch cable, the original spec of something like 3mm was too small and was revised to 5mm later on. I ran close to 6mm, just making sure that it fully disengaged when the lever was pulled in all the way.
    It should be pretty easy to tell if your clutch is slipping while driving. If it's not, then check to see that it's fully disengaged when stopped, do you feel the bike wanting to inch fwd when in gear and clutch lever pulled all the way in? Even the slightest tug indicates drag. You might get a little when the engine is cold, so ride around and let it warm up before checking.