Tires - 2020 - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Chris
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    It looks like I started a thread last year about this subject. So maybe we'll make it an annual thread.

Here's the prices I found with a search today on Revzilla with one rebate.

Note: Michelin has a $50 rebate through 3/31. It doesn't make their tire inexpensive...it just brings it down to reality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire Prices without Rebates.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	358969

I've been waiting for rebates, and some have come. Others might come in a couple weeks. Here's what it looks like with those potential rebates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire Prices with Rebates.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	358967

Dunlop had a $40 rebate on their Roadsmart III tires from 3/1 to 4/30, and another from 7/1 to 8/31 last year. Hopefully, the timing will be similar for your planning purposes.

Continental had a $60 rebate on their RoadAttack III tires from 4/1 to 6/30 last year. I'm hoping for this one. Not only is this my favorite tire, but they also offer free roadside assistance with the cost of their tires.

Michelin has a current rebate as I wrote above of $50. It expires on 3/31.

Other comments: I can't recommend the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires. The first set lasted me @6000 miles. I had the standard tire on front and back. When the Continental RA3 tires needed changing, I decided to give the Metzeler Roadtec 01 tires a second chance. Back when they first came out, the HWM version was recommended for the GT and I hadn't purchased that version. I thought maybe that would make a difference. So I purchased the HWM version this time around. I've had the tires on now for about 3000 miles and they look to be about half worn...which will have them last @6000 miles again, it seems. I find that tire to be no better than the Dunlop or Continental tires, but it wears about twice as fast. But...it looks pretty. If that's more important to you than grip and longevity, go for it.

Maybe we can update this thread as the summer unfolds and we find out about more rebates.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tire Prices without Rebates.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	358965  
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

2. ThanksSundog52 thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    David Kelly
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 FJR1300A
    Motorcycle
    '09 FE450
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    I don’t know the source of your Owner Ratings but I really like T31 and dislike Road 5. The Road 5 simply rides poorly the last half of its life, about some life as T31, which is about 75% of the much loved Pilot Road 4.

The downside to T31 is that it and T30 are the hardest tires I have ever mounted. Roadsmart III is a little easier. The Michelin’s are easy. A Metzeler Z6 easiest.
    2016 Yamaha FJR1300A; 2016 Beta 430RS; 2007 BMW F800S; 2009 Husaberg FE450; 2016 Subaru Outback; 2018 F150; 2013 Tesla Model S 85; 1983 Porsche 928S; 9 cats 

Real Name
    Chris
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    It's not "owner ratings", though I can see how you'd think that. The sorting is by Total Price.

IMHO, all those tires probably perform pretty close to each other. I know I've said I like the Conti RA3, but I'd be just as happy with the Dunlop RS3. Which is why I can't see paying the increased premium for the Michelin Road 5. If it gave an actual performance or longevity increase over the other tires in that chart to justify the price difference, I'd have no objections and might even consider it. But it doesn't have any better performance than the others.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Randy
    12 Hours Ago
    I just put Road 5's on my ST. Even though I over paid, I am very happy with them. We'll see how long they last.

Randy
    2010 F800ST 

8. LikesDaboo liked this post

2 Days Ago
    FWIW, I have 2 GTs, one stored in Europe, one here in the US (hoping to get to Europe this summer, but that's another (sad) story right now)...I've got Road 5s on the Europe bike, RA3s on the US bike. The Road 5s have 6400 miles on them (3300 last summer thru the Alps, the rest in the US before I shipped her), and the RA3s have 5400 miles, all here in the US. They will go about another 1500 miles (rear), I estimate. The Road 5s, however, at 6400 miles look virtually new, and I think they will go easily another 2500 miles. So, RA3s project out to 7000 miles, Road 5s to 9000 miles. That's almost 30% longer. Of course, YMMV, but that reduces the price differential substantially, especially if you consider mounting cost on multiple sets. I also do not run my tires completely down as some do, fyi, so take my mileage estimates with that in mind.

I will also say that the RA3s have a "finer" feel to them, both stick great, but the RA3s feel a bit better, more tactile. The Road 5s, however, are terrific in the rain, I can't speak to that on the RA3s because, Arizona.

I ordered a set of the Road 5s for the US bike, they are now in the garage waiting until I finish off the RA3s.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig. 

Real Name
    Chuck
    6 Days Ago
    I just put a set of Michelin Road 5's on my GT and really enjoy the grip that they provide. Got them at a local BMW dealership that tries to keep their prices down. I can't make a comparison to your chart because they did the mounting, balancing, and getting rid of all the left over materials for me. I understand that lots of folks mount and balance their own tires but I just don't have that equipment and at 74 wouldn't want to anyway. I got about 11,500 miles out of the Metzeler Z8's I had on prior to the Road 5's and felt they did a lot of things well. I notice even though people rail about the Michelin's cost, the owners rating is still within .1 of the favorite tires.

Chuckerssconnie

2016 BMW F 800 GT