BMW F800 Forum banner

Home alone: What do you during a Pandemic

106K views 442 replies 13 participants last post by  uphamglennn 
#1 ·
Strange time these. We are in a world-wide Pandemic and most of us have been told to stay put in your homes. So just what and how does a person do this?

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."

― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

I spent the day doing yard work in the backyard as it was sunny and the lawn has gone untouched for the last four or five months. It was a good work out, the yard looks good and I have burned up one day of basically being held hostage in my own home....

Any ideas as to how to fart around for the coming months? I'm running out of ideas already and so is the TP.

#3 ·
Like yourself Philip, I've been farting around, clearing the garden, too wet to start mowing the grass. Yesterday I met a couple of friends in our local park for a couple of hours (driving to the venue in our own cars of course), we sat down and painted/drew what we saw, I think we'll be doing that again.

We were all about 10m apart, shown in the last picture. The first is by a professional artist who painted the second artist who was drawing me. The third, of the bridge, is mine. I found out that drawing with watercolour pencils when theres drizzle in the air doesn't work very well. And using an eraser is a no,no as you can quickly make holes in the paper. You've got to find something to do where you can talk to people at a safe distance

Plant Paint Wood Branch Tree
Plant Leaf Natural environment Wood Botany
Plant Branch Leaf Botany Wood

Plant Tree Natural landscape People in nature Grass

Reactions: IanA and Roadpizza
#4 ·
During the previous pandemic, I used to count pandas: here's a picture I took then from my window White Carnivore Organism Terrestrial animal Grass
I spent saturday doing a surgical transplant: a pair of good pockets from an old and torn pair of Levi's took the place of a couple of pierced (correct?) pockets in a good pair of jeans, from the inside, they look... a shit, but with the trousers on, I can't tell the difference between before and after, so I did the job.
Sunday, to the local shop to buy all the water I needed for say 30 pints of belgian abbey type beer, after that, I started to clean my home, which was (still is) a pigsty.
Unfortunately, from monday, back to work, but gladly, I'm the only one in office, and I go there on foot, half an hour more or less, just to avoid socializing (not a typical italian).
Every day half an hour on my balcony, to see some sunlight, than at least half an hour in the bath tub in warm water reading some s.f., plus some german language studying, then I have a s.f. plastic model that's waiting, Turtledove's third book of "Colonization", a couple of s.f. books, lots of movies... and my flat is still covered in dust [lol]
Then, there are you guys, keeping me company [:X]

#5 ·
I get out every day, either walking or bicycle. Have 11 books on my to-read stack and 3 more on order. Play the sax and my one hour practice revives me. EVERY morning I meditate and then do a complete stretching routine. Also play the Native American style flute and this has a calming effect. I email, text and Facebook message a big circle of friends. Stay in touch with loved ones . . . . it's therapeutic.

#6 ·
I have started reading an Encyclopedia of Motorcycles that covers 2500 brands manufactured since the late 1800's, along with building a plastic model of the Osprey, working in my backyard, going hiking in the local county park and riding my motorcycles to buy a few groceries at a time. Our hardware stores are also open, so I can also ride there to pick up some random bolts. Our stay-in-your-home regulations have a lot of loopholes in them. [;)]

Reactions: Roadpizza
#11 ·
I was out hiking at the county park located a mile from my home. The place was pretty busy with hikers and joggers. Unfortunately, the bathrooms were closed and there were signs at the entry to every trail warning of recent mountain lion sightings. [:0]

In related news, California State parks are no longer permitting camping due to the virus outbreak. :confused: See the attached news article. Hiking trails will be open, but with no bathrooms available the bears will have to shit in the woods. :rolleyes:

Attachments

#15 ·
The sun was out so I tanned a bit to get some vitamin D that is rare in Oregon in the wintertime. Then did some yard work and fixed a gate that needed mending. The stay at home thing really didn't change much now that I'm retired. People are out and about but, maybe not as much as before. It is the cafes, Breweries and Hotels that are getting hit hard. I know I'm lucky at this point. Hoping for the best for everyone.

#24 ·
Yes, it seems like that although I should be used to it. I've been playing Microsoft Free cell for quite a while and now up to level 75 (93% win, keeps the mind working, forward planning), since I started playing, the occasional gaming ads between batches have ramped up to a pace that they're almost bombarding me everytime I complete one game and try to start another.
Time to call it a day - or use another computer and start again. Twiddling your thumbs and kicking your heels are at least some form of physical exercise I need to add butt clenching to my rota.
Stay safe

Reactions: Roadpizza
#23 ·
My wife and I did some Spring organizing and got the garage squared away from the winter mess. Sun was out but, it remained chilly all day. After dinner we took a two mile hike on the Hiking/biking trail ( empty) and have settled in with the two French Bulldogs and an ancient but, active Jack Russell. It amazes me that the visitors downtown were acting like nothing was going on and everything was normal. The same happened at the coast on the beaches. The Locals were not happy about all the traffic and people acting like things were just fine and dandy. Many of the people in places like Cannon Beach are older and none of this is a good thing.

#25 ·
I'm not sure the younger generation and many of the older folks have got it yet. My. grandson invited his friend over for the weekend, he drove over 300mls to get there then dumped him on his mother as he hadn't to room to put him up! Are they stupid? I can't say anything as I'll be called a miserable old git. Luckily I live in the country where visitors are rare so it's not difficult to self-isolate, however my wife still has to do shopping when required, so there's no way you can be cocooned for months.
It's a lovely day out there - biking weather, I just wish............. Perhaps I should clean the bike instead, I don't do it often

#26 ·
pFriem a popular brewery in Hood River stopped serving to-go meals and beers due to the fact there were so many out and about near the beach eating in the area. I hear you on the young people they just don't get or more likely just don't care.

#27 ·
Yesterday, I bottled say 20 pints of rauchbier and spent some time washing clothes and reading, today, after frankenpockets last sunday Shoe Comfort Window Tints and shades Vehicle door
, some socks darning Furniture Sleeve Comfort Grey Waist
. I'm turning into a bored housewife.
Now again washing machine, than I can choose between floor washing and german studying.
I miss my favourite pub and hicking online the hills all around the city

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.