I am getting out - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I am getting out of the F800 world. If anyone is interested https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202931578947

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '03 SOFTAIL DEUCE CVO 100 ANIVERSARY
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '13 Tiger 800
    Motorcycle
    '09 KLX250S
    Motorcycle
    '75 Commando
    Motorcycle
    '68 Commando
    Why?, and what are you going to get next? Nice bike BTW
    "AND THE DAWN COMES UP LIKE THUNDER.." 

Real Name
    Andrew
    6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    "The item is no longer available."

I'm assuming it's sold?
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

8 Hours Ago
    I don't think it did. In the listing he said he had a 3k trade in offer from his dealer and I didn't see the bids get close to that unless someone swooped it at the last minute. It had a reserve in place which I assume was at least the trade in value, if not more based on how the ad was written.
    I think it's a really bad time to be selling anything of value right now. There was a window of opportunity last month, but it quickly shut when orders to stay home started being issued.

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Good luck with the sale and in whatever you choose instead.
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

8. Thanksmsquared thanked for this post

04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Didn't sell. Plans have changed slightly, so I have relisted it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-BMW-F-Series/202965606308

I was going to get a S1000 XR and backed out at the last minute. Love the bike, and have wanted one for years. But most of my riding is commuting and a lot of lane splitting, the S1000XR is quite a bit wider than the GT; and would be overkill for commuting. So now I am thinking an F900XR or cheaper Yamaha Tracer GT.

Thank you for the well wishes.

12 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike F800GT View Post
    Didn't sell. Plans have changed slightly, so I have relisted it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-BMW-F-Series/202965606308

I was going to get a S1000 XR and backed out at the last minute. Love the bike, and have wanted one for years. But most of my riding is commuting and a lot of lane splitting, the S1000XR is quite a bit wider than the GT; and would be overkill for commuting. So now I am thinking an F900XR or cheaper Yamaha Tracer GT.

Thank you for the well wishes.
    I test rode the 900 XR and liked it. Just a shame about the chain!

BMW F800 GT

04-16-20
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4gas View Post

BMW F800 GT
    Yeah, I wish it had a shaft.

8 Hours Ago
    I test rode the S1000XR and F900XR back to back, the S1000 would not be fun for 90% of the riding that I do in the Bay Area. The F900 however was spot on, just waiting for Berlin to open back up and ship my damn bike out of their factory...

12 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike F800GT View Post
    Yeah, I wish it had a shaft.
    Did you get a decent deal on the XR? Despite the chain, I'm interested in the bike - just have to wait till after the lockdown.

BMW F800 GT

8 Hours Ago
    We haven't even talked out the door pricing yet, I just gave them a cash deposit to order one for me that had the highest factory option package. Frankly, I'm not going to press them on pricing, they have always taken really good care of me as a customer even with my last bike that I didn't buy from them. Considering the hit that I know they are taking right now and the fact that I 'can' pay full price, I'm comfortable with supporting them.

15. LikesPhotoAl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    We haven't even talked out the door pricing yet, I just gave them a cash deposit to order one for me that had the highest factory option package. Frankly, I'm not going to press them on pricing, they have always taken really good care of me as a customer even with my last bike that I didn't buy from them. Considering the hit that I know they are taking right now and the fact that I 'can' pay full price, I'm comfortable with supporting them.
    I once had a good dealer in my area and I was thankful I could help keep her in business.

2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by ch4gas View Post

BMW F800 GT
    If you install a Scottoiler, the chain will be essentially maintennance-free. I haven’t touched mine in 12,000 miles, and it remains lightly lubed and clean as a chain needs to be.
    2002 R1150R
    2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
    2016 BMW F700GS 

18. Likesnotacop liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Lcarlson14 View Post
    If you install a Scottoiler, the chain will be essentially maintennance-free. I haven’t touched mine in 12,000 miles, and it remains lightly lubed and clean as a chain needs to be.
    I had a belt tha I never touched in 63,000 miles. You have a chain with a Scottoiler and I have a belt w/o a Scottoiler. That doesn't make either one of,us right, it makes us different. Enjoy your ride.

20. LikesWomble liked this post

2 Days Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWilly View Post
    I had a belt tha I never touched in 63,000 miles. You have a chain with a Scottoiler and I have a belt w/o a Scottoiler. That doesn't make either one of,us right, it makes us different. Enjoy your ride.
    I was only pointing out that a chain doesn’t have to be maintennance-intensive.
    2002 R1150R
    2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
    2016 BMW F700GS 

22. LikesWomble liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWilly View Post
    It's amazing to me more people aren't all over belts over chain or shaft for that matter. Efficient, zero maintenance, clean, quiet, lightweight. In fact, its belt was
    the most redeemng quality of my old F800GT!

24. LikesMGD109, PhotoAl, N4HHE liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

15 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    I can't figure the chain hate thing. I've had chain bikes for a while, one is a BMW, and I don't worry about it any more than I did my Belted 800ST.

8 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    I guess I can come back around to this now. I picked up my F900XR about three weeks ago and they did take care of me on pricing, nothing huge but certainly a nice gesture given I didn't ask for anything. I've got just over 700 miles logged and did my first service last weekend and I can absolutely confirm that I'm happy with my choice.

27. LikesPhotoAl, Richard230 liked this post

1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Im with notacop on the chain dislike stuff. I'm not particularly passionate one way or the other but o understand issue with rocks. Shaft drive is nice but robs power and adds weight. Chains can fail suddenly but if kept maintained there is less probability of that than a belt suddenly and catastrophically failing. Yes a chain would have been more hassle on my recent 6,000 mile trip - I do have the "old" belt that was removed at 24,000 miles in a box in the garage clearly labeled so my wife could overnight it to me in a pinch.

rcb78 I want to hear more about the F900XR, mower performance engine characteristic. Does it have character? Does it cook you thighs when temperature is above 85? How is the balance? On long trips I do a lot of riding in campgrounds with gravel roads at very low speeds. Last trip I hit a 1/2 mile stretch with no pavement, just soft sandy dirt. Most was OK but hit one short stretch where the front plowed a bit which got me into a correct counter correct and I still don't know how I kept from going down. This was like a 25 foot stretch! I'm defiantly in the market now but will probably wait until next fall as thing the ole F800GT has at least one more long trip left in it - I'm only at 30,000 miles. The two bikes on my very short list are the Yamaha Tracer and the F900XR. The Tracer would take more setup and suspension work but has a wonderful triple that sounds so good. Hit one stretch on the interstate going uphill into stiff wind at 75MPH and the throttle was pretty much pinned and I was trying to accelerate to speed limit (80MPH). Cound have downshifted and accelerated but was a bit surprised at the lack of grunt - high altitude and fully loaded but no passenger probably contributed.

8 Hours Ago
    Coming from an 800GS, this new engine has tons of character, when you are getting on the throttle under load it really reminds me of a v-twin, so BMW nailed their design. I only just started taking it higher in the rpm range these last few days now that the first service is done and the power is not lacking either. It's very tame and rideable below 5k, and then it really wakes up in the upper range. The gearing is well thought out too, I can cruise at 75mph at just under 4600rpm (6th gear) without struggling in the slightest and thanks to the quickshifter making gear changes without much thought is pretty easy too.
    The only time I feel heat off the engine is when I'm stuck in traffic and the radiator fan comes on, and then I only notice it on my left leg. With riding gear on it's not that bad but I do feel it until the fan shuts down or I start rolling again. The handling feels very stable and planted, I can't say how it would do in sand, but I'd assume no better or worse than any other street bike. On fire roads I suspect that this will be a much better ride with the extra suspension travel (6.7"). The rear ESA works very well, and AFAIK it's a true dynamic setup complete with a travel sensor on the swingarm. Put it in Road for a comfy ride (or bumpy roads) or put it in Dynamic to ramp up the damping for the twisties. I wish the forks were part of the ESA system or even just adjustable, but I have to say, they are pretty well sorted for what they are. I do plan on having some cartridges built for it, but after feeling how good it is with no mods I'm going to wait for the off season when I won't miss the downtime as much. I guess if you really wanted to do some exploring you could always throw some dual sport tires on, plenty of choices in this tire size.
    The Tracer looks really good on paper, but it doesn't have an IMU which was a big selling point for me on the BMW. The other thing is that the Tracer has a significantly lower load capacity at only 370lbs, while the F900XR has a load capacity of just over 480lbs. Based on a factory luggage weight limit of 18 lbs per side case and 11lbs for the top case, that means BMW is planning on two riders that weigh up to 216 lbs each. This is probably why the suspension feels so good to me since I weight 225 lbs. For someone that actually does distance touring on their bike, I suspect that extra load capacity will be a welcome addition.
    I've done a fair amount of modding to it, primarily with visibility lighting upgrades as can be seen in the pic below. Weiser 2-in-1 indicators front and rear, Cyclops Aurora Aux lights with amber DRL rings and it's all controlled by an exCAN to take advantage of the ambient light sensor on the bike along with changing intensity when hi and or beams are active. On the topic of lighting, even if you do nothing, the stock headlight is impressive at night. I went with a hard top case because it fits my helmet and soft side cases to keep it narrow in traffic, all are factory and keyed to the bike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Night Lights.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	366031
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200612_181631.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	4.68 MB 
ID:	366033

30. LikesRichard230 liked this post