Social distancing - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by steve n rose View Post
    Do you resemble that remark, Bill?
    Is the Pope Catholic?
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Steve
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Hmmmmm.
    As of Mon, 1st Feb 2016- ;
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery,
    Today is a gift (that's why it's called "the present")
    #1 tip I ride by: Ride as though you're invisible, not invincible
    Bikes so far: Honda CB250-Traded, Suzuki GS500F-Traded, '07 F800ST Matt Graphitan-Deceased, '10 F800ST Night Blue-sold, at present bikeless

Real Name
    terry
    16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    From what we've seen on the American news up to very recently this pandemic wasn't taken too seriously by the Administration with the Leader tweeting the populace random untruths, giving the impression that it's all going to be fine. America had plenty of warning this was going to be big and it is!! It will be fine, eventually.
    "I was cut out to be a genius. Unfortunately somebody forgot to put the pieces together"
    Tubby Clayton - Toc H founder

Real Name
    Chris
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by oxytotl View Post
    From what we've seen on the American news up to very recently this pandemic wasn't taken too seriously by the Administration with the Leader tweeting the populace random untruths, giving the impression that it's all going to be fine. America had plenty of warning this was going to be big and it is!! It will be fine, eventually.
    I think you have to consider the position President Trump is in...and not forget what others were also saying.

An example is at the daily briefings. The president's job is to give the people hope, to rally the people. The doctor's job is to bring up the science. I think they both did just that. And while the MSM is 99% against President Trump, I notice the governors across the Union, following right along. Govenor Coumo had it right the other day when some reporters tried to get him to blame the administration for something. He said this isn't about red vs blue, it is about red, white and blue working together.

If you believe that America had plenty of warning...again, the MSM will lead you to believe that. But even the doctors...the scientific side of the briefings...will admit they were learning as they were going along. Communist China was deliberately trying to hold back info, and still is. I got a laugh out of Maxine Waters. Put a mike in front of her, and the only thing that comes out is hatred of Trump. Anyway, she was saying that President Trump should've canceled Mardis Gras. Okay, that sounds great as a sound bite. Why wasn't she saying anything herself back then? Oh...because she didn't know anything about how bad the virus was back then.

And another thought about the administration not taking this seriously...why is it that President Trump was being called racist for stopping flights from China back in January? Two weeks ago, in March...Biden was still calling for totally open borders. Duh...

And also why is it that every European country, and Canada and Mexico have closed their borders? After, President Trump set the example and closed ours?

And how many days did Pelosi hold back the approval of the Senate bill because she wanted to get 1400 pages of pork into it? Was it three days?

You can't be blamed for not taking a Civics course, Terry...you live in another country entirely. But the others on this forum and the MSM should know better. President Trump is being blamed for things like there not being enough protective gear. Hmmm...when did the president start controlling the budget? That's the House that controls the purse strings of our government. If they don't authorize the expenditure of money, it doesn't happen. The president doesn't tell hospitals to get bigger to handle a pandemic, if it should ever happen. The hospitals decide where their money is spent. They decide how much inventory of PPE to have. Why is no one asking them why they didn't stockpile more? For that matter, why is it that most of us here don't have our own supply of N95 masks? Oh...because we didn't think we needed them and didn't buy them...but bought farkles for our motorcycles instead. Don't blame President Trump for you not thinking it worthwhile to have your own N95 masks.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

6. LikesOldairhead liked this post

Real Name
    JR
    3 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F750GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Single)
    I don't pay much attention to forums with the exception of this one. This thread is a good example of why.

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	360697

9. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    The latest social distancing order in the SF Bay Area is that all construction projects must be shut down immediately and the workers sent home. The only exemption is for contractors performing "essential" services or constructing "essential" facilities - like low-cost housing and building temporary hospitals. However, what is "essential" work and projects seems to vary from town to town and from county to county, depending upon what the local politicians decide is "essential" in their view. As usual, none of this makes any sense to me as I sit here in my internet bunker.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Real Name
    terry
    16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I think you have to consider the position President Trump is in...and not forget what others were also saying.

An example is at the daily briefings. The president's job is to give the people hope, to rally the people. The doctor's job is to bring up the science. I think they both did just that. And while the MSM is 99% against President Trump, I notice the governors across the Union, following right along. Govenor Coumo had it right the other day when some reporters tried to get him to blame the administration for something. He said this isn't about red vs blue, it is about red, white and blue working together.

If you believe that America had plenty of warning...again, the MSM will lead you to believe that. But even the doctors...the scientific side of the briefings...will admit they were learning as they were going along. Communist China was deliberately trying to hold back info, and still is. I got a laugh out of Maxine Waters. Put a mike in front of her, and the only thing that comes out is hatred of Trump. Anyway, she was saying that President Trump should've canceled Mardis Gras. Okay, that sounds great as a sound bite. Why wasn't she saying anything herself back then? Oh...because she didn't know anything about how bad the virus was back then.

And another thought about the administration not taking this seriously...why is it that President Trump was being called racist for stopping flights from China back in January? Two weeks ago, in March...Biden was still calling for totally open borders. Duh...

And also why is it that every European country, and Canada and Mexico have closed their borders? After, President Trump set the example and closed ours?

And how many days did Pelosi hold back the approval of the Senate bill because she wanted to get 1400 pages of pork into it? Was it three days?

You can't be blamed for not taking a Civics course, Terry...you live in another country entirely. But the others on this forum and the MSM should know better. President Trump is being blamed for things like there not being enough protective gear. Hmmm...when did the president start controlling the budget? That's the House that controls the purse strings of our government. If they don't authorize the expenditure of money, it doesn't happen. The president doesn't tell hospitals to get bigger to handle a pandemic, if it should ever happen. The hospitals decide where their money is spent. They decide how much inventory of PPE to have. Why is no one asking them why they didn't stockpile more? For that matter, why is it that most of us here don't have our own supply of N95 masks? Oh...because we didn't think we needed them and didn't buy them...but bought farkles for our motorcycles instead. Don't blame President Trump for you not thinking it worthwhile to have your own N95 masks.

Chris
    Thank you Chris, I'm only a 'foreigner' who makes observations which may suit some and not others. About this forum, I can't remember seeing any slanging matches on this forum since I started in 2013, disagreements many, but usually things peter out eventually. We are all entitled to views but have to respect others point of view even if we think they're daft. As for Trump, he's a bit like Johnson prone to gaffs which everyone picks up on and makes the most of, Johnson was looked on as a bit of a buffoon but since being PM hasn't done silly stunts (that I remember - I've a short memory) or found the need to resort to tweeting.

Scarey times though, speaking to our postie this morning he said he wasn't aware of any cases of his round so we could be self isolating for nothing but who knows!
    "I was cut out to be a genius. Unfortunately somebody forgot to put the pieces together"

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	9
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	360769

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	11
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	360819

14. LikesRichard230, steve n rose, oxytotl, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    '

Views:	8
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	360899

16. LikesRichard230, steve n rose, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	360927

18. LikesRichard230, Roadpizza, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	12
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	360943

20. LikesRichard230, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	10
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	360967

22. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I'll drink to that

Views:	7
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	360991

24. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	361027

26. LikesRichard230, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    I continue to receive different instructions regarding how to live my life under the virus threat. As a recent example: Grocery stores (apparently not health officials, though) are now requiring that their customers in California no longer bring cloth reusable bags into their stores when shopping because they say that these bags might infect their employees with the virus. However they will sell you a new plastic shopping bag for between 10 or 25 cents, depending upon the store. This is in spite of a state law that requires everyone to use a reusable bag when shopping and it has no exemptions. My newspaper yesterday had an article about this which said that there was no scientific evidence or studies that showed that reusable bags could harbor corona virus, although they certainly tend to be covered with nasty bacteria - which apparently has never been a problem before.

And so it goes. Every day there is another new regulation to keep everyone safe. I wonder when these new announcements will finally end and everyone can finally come to grips with what works and what doesn't.

Then last night a TV report citing other health officials said that people should start using cloth bags when going shopping as that is less likely to transmit the virus than using plastic bags.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Real Name
    Chris
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I think everyone is still feeling their way through this, Richard. I take the approach like I do to changing rules in the prison. Whatever they say goes. I can't do anything but become frustrated by trying to buck the system. I was a big nay-sayer about the coronavirus in the beginning. Not any more. People that say it is all a big media push for ratings are just looking at their own block and seeing that everyone looks well. Tell the people in Italy that it is no big deal. I was thinking of Guido this morning and I hope all is well with him, but I'm afraid that it probably isn't.

As for the reusable bags, I got a chuckle out of that when I heard about what was happening a week or so ago. The great idea of reusing cloth bags sounded great until someone realized the coronavirus can live on that bag for quite awhile. Per the New York Post, "Viruses and bacteria can survive in the tote bags up to nine days, according to one study of coronaviruses." Nine days.

I can understand the concern of the store workers too. I popped over to a forum I used to frequent and there was a story about a choir practice held in Mt. Vernon just north of me on March 10. Everyone there appeared to be healthy. Two weeks later, of the 60 people in the choir, 45 have the virus, three are critically ill and two have died. Everybody brought in their own music and avoided touching each other.

I would be starting my trip home today from Death Valley if all had worked out as originally planned. I remember that interview with a woman in a small town that was afraid someone from the cities would bring the virus with them when they stopped for gas and food. It looks like she was right. HIDDEN HOTSPOTS Shocking map reveals small rural towns have been hit with some of the most deadly coronavirus outbreaks

It is an interesting article..."interesting" in that you can also look at it as concerning.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

29. LikesIanA liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	13
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	361069

31. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	361109

33. LikesRichard230, oxytotl, IanA liked this post
    Cascade Locks, Oregon, US Roadpizza is offline Volunteer Moderator - Global

Real Name
    Philip
    3 Hours Ago

BMW F800S.

There is no words to adequately describe the batshit crazies....

35. LikesRichard230, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	15
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	361151

37. LikesRichard230, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    They're doing curbside pickup

Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	361203

39. LikesRichard230, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	361221

41. LikesRichard230, oxytotl, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	361283

43. LikesRoadpizza, Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    One thing people are not doing during the pandemic is flying. It was reported this morning that SFO (San Francisco's International Airport) says that its passenger volume for March was only 4% of what it was a year ago.
    Last edited by Richard230; 04-08-20 at 04:05 PM.

45. LikesRoadpizza liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	4
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	361289

47. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    I was out in my backyard today and my next door neighbor walked over. When I saw she planned to get close up, I put up my hand and said "6 Feet" She is 50 and her son that lives with her works at Wal-Mart and doesn't wear a mask to work. She looked put out and I told her that I was in the age group that died and she and her kid probably wouldn't. Has anybody else had to tell stupid people that they were indeed stupid?

49. LikesRoadpizza liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWilly View Post
    I was out in my backyard today and my next door neighbor walked over. When I saw she planned to get close up, I put up my hand and said "6 Feet" She is 50 and her son that lives with her works at Wal-Mart and doesn't wear a mask to work. She looked put out and I told her that I was in the age group that died and she and her kid probably wouldn't. Has anybody else had to tell stupid people that they were indeed stupid?
    No, but I have seen plenty of people at the grocery store living in a dream world as they moved down the isles to shop. Today, while out for a walk around the neighborhood, I passed by a home and overheard some women talking about getting together for a party this weekend. Sounds like fun. They mentioned one couple who would be driving over from a town about 50 miles away.

Real Name
    Steve
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Our supermarkets and hardware chain stores are limiting numbers, counting people in and out.
    Bikes so far: Honda CB250-Traded, Suzuki GS500F-Traded, '07 F800ST Matt Graphitan-Deceased, '10 F800ST Night Blue-sold, at present bikeless

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	2
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	361347

53. Likesoxytotl, Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	2
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	361349

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    Our supermarkets and hardware chain stores are limiting numbers, counting people in and out.
    Something for the Walmart Greeter to finally do that serves a useful function. I thought they were all laid off a couple of months ago, though?

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    A well deserved repeat . . . .

Views:	4
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	361363

57. LikesRichard230, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Steve
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Something for the Walmart Greeter to finally do that serves a useful function. I thought they were all laid off a couple of months ago, though?
    Richard, this is Aus I'm talking about, with Bunnings being our large hardware chain. There has been high unemployment since this all started, but the govt is doing it's best to help both employers and employees so we can get back to business when this is all over.

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    Richard, this is Aus I'm talking about, with Bunnings being our large hardware chain. There has been high unemployment since this all started, but the govt is doing it's best to help both employers and employees so we can get back to business when this is all over.
    Walmart in the U.S. is doing the same thing, which is why I made that comment. They laid off their (typically retired) door-greeters a few months ago to save money and then have now hired more staff to regulate entry into their stores.

And speaking of stores: I did my weekly grocery shopping today (I spent $12) and every time I go to a grocery store their rules have changed since the last time I was there. A week ago when shopping at a grocery store you were required to use your own reusable (typically cloth) shopping bag, in accordance with state law. However, this week there was a sign on the front door saying that reusable grocery bags were not allowed into the store. They even had a garbage can at the entry specifically for you to drop your own grocery bag into. They also said that they didn't want their customers to use cash, but only credit or debit cards. When I checked out, they used one of their new plastic bags to place my groceries in and then charged me 25 cents for the bag. (I bet the things cost less than a penny when bought in bulk.)

The sign at the entry also requested that all customers remain at least 6' from each other and from their staff. The only problem with that concept is that is about the width of their isles, so good luck following that request as the customers were driving their trolleys as if they were from both the U.S. and UK.

I wonder what the social-distancing and virus-protection rules will be next week? I get the feeling that they are making these rules up as they go along.

60. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	361397

62. LikesRichard230, oxytotl, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	361399

64. LikesRichard230, steve n rose, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Got some essential shopping done today . . .

Views:	10
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	361401

66. LikesRoadpizza, Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    16 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	aaz811.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	361405

The guidelines are that you must be 2m apart, I've calculated that his hat has a diameter of 2m but its radius is only 1m. Back to the drawing board me thinks!!

68. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Views:	6
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	361409

70. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	361413

72. LikesRichard230, Roadpizza, oxytotl, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Philip
    3 Hours Ago
    This is leading up to some very basic social changes...

"When you gradually come back, you don't jump into it with both feet. You say, what are the things you could still do and still approach normal? One of them is absolute compulsive hand-washing. The other is you don't ever shake anybody's hands"- Fauci
    BMW F800S.

74. LikesWildWilly, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Philip
    3 Hours Ago
    Yes, the rumors are true, we are living in one gigantic cluster fuck of some sort....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...or-coronavirus
    BMW F800S.

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	361421

77. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Philip
    3 Hours Ago
    This is why the virus will continue for a longtime .....reminds one of the lemmings habit of running off a cliff en masse.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/churc...b6458ae2a604e2
    BMW F800S.

79. Likesoxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	361439

Real Name
    Steve
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    I found out last night that the thread title is wrong.
    It should be "Physical distancing" and that we should still maintain social contact, be it via letters, phone, email and other electronic media, or just good old conversation while maintaining physical distancing of 1.5 to 2 metres.
    We still require the social contact to see us through this, but must keep our physical distancing while doing so.
    It kinda makes sense really.

82. LikesRoadpizza, oxytotl, Richard230, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    6 Hours Ago
    I just finished watching this episode of Itchy Boots. She was repatriated from Peru and has returned to the Netherlands along with 400 other people on a 12-hour KLM flight arranged by the Dutch government:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnTizfQPnpg

I was struck by the incongruity of the physical distancing that she maintained during her trip back home. While waiting in a long line outside on the sidewalk to get to the registration booth, everyone was keeping 6' from each other. Then after registering for the flight back, they were stuffed into a crowded bus for the trip to a military airport. After getting off the bus, she was checked again by Peruvian officials as she sat in a plastic chair placed 6' apart from every other person being checked out. Then they boarded another crowded bus for the short trip to their aircraft. After that is was into a crowded plane with the other 400 people for the 12-hour flight back to the Netherlands. At the end of the video, she got off the plane and walked through a virtually vacant airport. So much for physical distancing.
    Last edited by Richard230; 04-11-20 at 08:20 AM.

84. LikesRoadpizza, steve n rose, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Bill
    4 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT

Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	361453

86. Likesoxytotl, Richard230 liked this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast