BMW F800 Forum banner

Social distancing

169K views 459 replies 26 participants last post by  WildWilly 
#1 ·
What better way than to go for a motorcycle ride. The weather is warming up here in New England, so we are riding.Pack a lunch and hit the road.
I want to ask if our fellow riders in California are able to get out and ride with the quarantine on.
I have an International Norton Owners 2020 Rally coming up in July, in the Catskills, The Americade in June, at Lake George NY, Laconia Bike Week, NH. Dirt Daze in August, in NH. I hope they all go on as planned.
Anyone else going to any of these?

#245 ·
Nothing like a good Military Parade,,!!

Thousands turn out for VE Day parade in Belarus despite Covid-19 concerns
Country's leader Alexander Lukashenko boasts of holding only parade in former Soviet Union

Thousands of people, including elderly veterans of the second world war, turned out for Belarus's Victory Day military parade despite the coronavirus pandemic.

Images from the parade showed crowds packed on to parade bleachers as the country's leader, Alexander Lukashenko, boasted of holding the only parade in the former Soviet Union to mark the defeat of Nazi Germany.

"In this insane, disoriented world, there will be people who condemn us for the time and place of this sacred act," he said. "Don't rush to conclusions or condemn us, descendants of the victory of Belarusians. We couldn't have acted differently. We had no other choice. And even if we had one, we would have done the same."

Lukashenko has publicly downplayed the pandemic, appearing at Orthodox Easter services and other public events and calling concerns over the virus a "psychosis". Belarus is the only country in Europe to continue holding football matches during the crisis.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...y-parade-in-belarus-despite-covid-19-concerns

#246 ·
Those Dog and Pony shows will bite you in the ass every time,,!!

Global report: Anthony Fauci and two other White House Covid-19 taskforce members to self-quarantine

Dr Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Dr Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, Stephen Hahn, are all expected to work remotely due to potential exposure to Covid-19.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...covid-19-taskforce-members-to-self-quarantine

#251 ·
This one really gets me,,,,these three are not considered an essential service but the meat cutters are,,. They should be sending these guys into the Whitehouse with a rag tied around there head and a garbage bag like the rest the Health Care Workers,,!!

-The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases,
-The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,
-& the Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration,

#248 ·
Yesterday afternoon I had a parade of about 100 cars pass by my home filled with families apparently celebrating the graduation of their kids from the local high school. It took about 20 minutes for all the cars to drive by, with signs, honking and waving to the neighborhood residents, who all came out to wave back and then they got together in groups to talk to each other. Not a person in any of the cars or my neighbors wore a mask. Later that day my neighbor had a party in their backyard until the fog rolled in and it got too cold to hang around. So there you go. What good are health regulations if no one pays any attention to them? Maybe they should just let everything open up and let the chips fall where they may. :rolleyes:

Reactions: oxytotl
#252 ·
Yesterday afternoon I had a parade of about 100 cars pass by my home filled with families apparently celebrating the graduation of their kids from the local high school. It took about 20 minutes for all the cars to drive by, with signs, honking and waving to the neighborhood residents, who all came out to wave back and then they got together in groups to talk to each other. Not a person in any of the cars or my neighbors wore a mask. Later that day my neighbor had a party in their backyard until the fog rolled in and it got too cold to hang around. So there you go. What good are health regulations if no one pays any attention to them? Maybe they should just let everything open up and let the chips fall where they may.
It's okay. Remember, the rules don't apply to everyone. Witness speeders, tax evaders, adulterers, texters, etc. They're not expected to abide by societal norms. It's just for the rest of us.

#249 ·
"Maybe they should just let everything open up and let the chips fall where they may. "

Its becoming pretty obvious that that is what the plan is and has been for some time, eventual heard immunity, a certain percentage of the population will move along and the rest will inherit the earth,,. As the big guy says, "it will be hard on some people, but we got to get our economy back",,.

Pretty easy to say when your holding all the chips,,. The white house knows the value of testing, and quarantining, they get the test and the results in minutes, easy peasy..!!

Perhaps this is what Kushner means when he says "Its our stockpile", "not for the States",,.
Even the sacred Dr Fauci goes to the penalty box,,,Welcome to the new class society!!

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/kus...anged-echo-comments-federal/story?id=69936411
After Kushner says 'it's our stockpile,' HHS website changed to echo his comments on federal crisis role
It's the latest salvo in rising tensions between Trump and the states.

#250 ·
I've been practicing social distancing for years, I've been staying as from from Trump followers as humanly possible.
The GOP conventions should be held often with as many participants as possible. May the virus learn them a lesson?

Oh, that thing about not wanting top support the states? What does he think supports the nation? Taxes from the states. If the states are not profitable, the Feds coin box gets empty.
of course Congress just allows more spending, not paying for anything.

#254 ·
Speaking of social distancing: My daughter owns a typical CA subdivision home built in the 1950's on a 50 by 100 foot lot. She told me yesterday that her husband cut back a large hedge along their side yard fence and when he looked over the fence he noticed a row of tents in their neighbor's backyard. She said that they had seen a number of strange cars parked in the street lately that they didn't recognize and (when her chickens were not clucking) had been hearing a many different strange Spanish-speaking voices coming from the house and yard. She thinks that her neighbor is renting out his backyard as a low cost apartment complex using tents instead of rooms. She has been in the home before and it has three bedrooms, two bathrooms and one kitchen, just like hers. She also says that the people living there seem to do most of their cooking on a patio gas grill.

I guess that is why they don't complain about the chicken noise coming from her yard and the flies that they attract. They would likely prefer that the county not notice what is going on in their home, either. Kind of creative, but I imagine that only undocumented Mexicans would be able to live for very long under those conditions and living arrangements. Likely not a lot of social distancing going on in that home.

#257 ·
I can relate to that, not that I'm antisocial, just busy renovating, The only difference it made to my life was that I couldn't just go for a drive when I felt like it. Sad, isn't it? :( :frown:

#258 ·
Steve I'm in NSW.

I only found out on the 27th of April that we (in NSW) could not only go for a ride, but could have been riding since the public health order back at the end of March. Doh.

Gladys says the NSW gov sees motorbike riding as good for mental health and 'akin to riding an exercise bike'. Now, I personally don't see it like that but a green light is a green light.

How has Daniel Andrew's team considered riding, do you know?

#259 ·
PS I think all of our pollies have done an excellent job, worked very well with health authorities and it kills me to say it but have earned our respect and, going out on a limb here, another term regardless of party.

New cases that can be counted on just fingers and toes for a population of 25 million or so is amazing.

#260 ·
Here in Latrobe we have now officially got 0 active cases.
Geez, it feels good, but I'll still be keeping the distance until all's as clear as can be in the state of Vic and the country as a whole.

#266 ·
When I was growing up during the 1940's I lived in San Fransisco directly across from Golden Gate Park. They had all sorts of wonderful and dangerous play devices, all made out of hard steel. They had steel slides, steel teeter-totters, steel monkey bars, a three-story kiddy-car ride where little children would be placed on small wooden three-wheel carts and sent flying down a ziz-zag gravity track to an abrupt stop at the bottom. And of course, they also had a much larger version of that steel spinner that would be powered by the larger kids to see how fast they could spin the device so as to fling off the younger kids on to the surrounding cat-box sand. Life was much different back then.

I might add that no one thought much of it when I would ride the public city bus by myself each day to grammar school when I was 6 and 7 years old.

#271 ·
Richard230, then I imagine you fondly miss Playland at the Beach (especially the Funhouse). I don’t think anyone died there. I grew up on the Peninsula and loved going there as a kid. Why can’t kids have innocent fun like that today?

#276 ·
Richard230, then I imagine you fondly miss Playland at the Beach (especially the Funhouse). I don't think anyone died there. I grew up on the Peninsula and loved going there as a kid. Why can't kids have innocent fun like that today?
I spent many happy hours when I was growing up in the Playland Fun House. It was really cheap entertainment. I think it cost something like 10 cents to enter. One thing I never did was to swim in the huge unheated ocean water pool that was at the far end of Playland. Way too cold and too salty for me.

Interestingly, for a few years I worked for the civil engineer who helped to design the infrastructure for the condominium project that replaced Playland in the late 1960's. I was really sad to see the old place go. But it was getting pretty run down as the owners didn't do any maintenance and it was falling apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.