Sudden loss of...everything!....whilst riding - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

03-30-20
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    I started the bike this morning as usual, and it ran for over an hour with no issues. On the return journey, it seemed very slightly hesitant to start. I managed about a kilometre before all the gauges started misfiring, then total power failure. Zilch, nought, nothing.

Battery, or what?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Philip
    1 Week Ago
    No engineer but, my money is that it is the battery or a connection to the battery. Maybe corrosion on the negative. contact. That's my grain of salt.....
    BMW F800S…….

There is no words to adequately describe the batshit crazies.... 

03-30-20
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadpizza View Post
    No engineer but, my money is that it is the battery or a connection to the battery. Maybe corrosion on the negative. contact. That's my grain of salt.....
    Would a battery fail result in such a sudden and catastrophic loss of power do you think? It just seemed odd to me that it should occur after the bike was already started and running (but I'm no engineer either... )

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dave Watson
    12 Hours Ago
    Chris. Batteries do have occasionally have instantaneous catastrophic failures. As our bike's CPU and other electronic wizardry depend on a stable voltage supply, any failure to it and the bike stops. Older bikes (and cars), without all the modern day electronics, would continue to run on just the alternator or generator, not so these days. So agree with Philip, probably the battery.

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 SV650
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Start with battery connections because they're easy, but still get the battery checked out. Fully charge and then load test. Once the battery is replaced (or ruled out) then check your charging system. The battery HAD to be good enough for the bike to start, if it died while riding then that indicates that the rate of charge could not keep up with the rate of loss, in other words you may very well have a charging system fault that caused the battery failure.

5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb78 View Post
    Start with battery connections because they're easy, but still get the battery checked out......
    Would agree that the most obvious cause would be battery connection/leads and certainly first place to start, I have stopped for a stranded motorcyclist with identical symptoms (bike had cut out and nothing when he hit the starter button) he'd already diagnosed the problem because he could easily see the earth lead was no longer fastened to the battery!!

Simple first check would be to measure the voltage across the battery terminals then measure the voltage from the positive lead clamp to an earth on the bike if there is any drop in voltage it would strongly point to lead/clamp issue.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

9. LikesRoadpizza liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

13 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    SBD, Sudden battery death. It's on all the forums for motorcycles and has been for years. BMW actually replaced the original battery in my ST during a service because they had a batch of potentially bad ones and were proactively removing them. Loose battery connection are the second leading cause of electrical problems followed by kill switches, clutch switches and side stand switches. Some bikes have fall down detectors and cut out electrical stuff to protect the bike.

Real Name
    Philip
    1 Week Ago
    My first SBD was a day or so before the original warrenty ended. BMW picked up the tab and the tow to Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    SBD, Sudden battery death. It's on all the forums for motorcycles and has been for years. BMW actually replaced the original battery in my ST during a service because they had a batch of potentially bad ones and were proactively removing them. Loose battery connection are the second leading cause of electrical problems followed by kill switches, clutch switches and side stand switches. Some bikes have fall down detectors and cut out electrical stuff to protect the bike.
    BMW F800S…….

Real Name
    Nigel
    1 Week Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    Could be any if these and more...

However, I'd suggest to the OP to follow a systematic method to diagnose the fault rather than a blunderbus approach.

MGD109 has outlined a good traditional starting point.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

03-30-20
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    Many thanks for your help everyone.

It was indeed 'sudden battery death', and a spanky-new battery got it up and running and safely returned home.....less than 12 hours before the Do Not Travel restrictions hit Australia. Phew!

14. LikesRoadpizza, dew liked this post

Real Name
    Dave (yes, another Dave)
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Now that was cutting it fine there ChrisK, however I am sure if it was after then an explanation to the relevant authority IE good morning officer bright day is it not! or something like that, and continue with something like, Just been out for a jolly ole jount you know some while back and believe it or not the blasted battery failed, so huh, had to order the blighter didn't I, just fixed it too, so sorry an all that, you can understand yes Officer.

Well something like that, but won't happen now will it.

Stay safe all you F8 buddies. . . See you on the highway's again when this CV thingy is over.

Flook
    Please note, the thoughts and opinions of Flook does not necessarily reflect the thoughts and opinions of other posts & site users therein

16. LikesRoadpizza liked this post

Real Name
    Philip
    1 Week Ago
    I had it explained to me awhile back that the placement of the battery right over the engine heats the battery but, more importantly, it tends to vibrate and shorten the life of the battery by breaking down the cells inside. The standard battery had no real containment and was prone to failure at and early age.
    BMW F800S…….

18. LikesFlook liked this post