BMW F800 Forum banner

Mystery indicator problem

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Norfolk UK 
#1 ·
My left hand indicator has packed up.
Odd thing is, the left hand side works ok on the hazard lights. It all lights up as it should with the two green arrows lighting up on the dash.
But when selecting left on the indicator switch I get nothing but works fine on the right.
I've had the switchgear to bits, all fine there. No splits or breaks and the button switch inside feels ok too, as in its no different to any of the others.
Had the fairing off and all good there too.
No nipped wires and no warnings on the dash.
Any ideas anyone?
Obviously at this time BMW are all at home with the rest of the world.
I'm not happy at the moment...
I need new tyres, my head bearings are gone and now this! The worst is my Mot is due in a fortnight and no one's open!!

#2 ·
Whenever I have a problem with a turn indicator the first thing I do is to replace the indicator bulbs.

#3 ·
Schematic Font Parallel Engineering Pattern

If left indicator lamps work in hazard mode the bulbs are ok as is wiring from the "ZFE Brain" unit to lamps. Symptoms seem to suggest a fault in left side contacts of handlebar switch or feed from its left contact to ZFE unit. Scan of diagram from Haynes manual attached.

#4 ·
#5 ·
What happens if you bypass the switch?
Does the indicator light up?
Follow the wiring and tigger the indicator at each connector and (if you can) as near to the ZFE computer.
I would expect to find a damaged or broken wire or a damaged connector/crimp contact.

#6 ·
That sounds like a great idea although...
I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.
Looks like its a trip to my local spanner twirler when all this death fucks off.
I can do most things within easy reach but electrics are beyond my reach.
If I ever get a fix for this I'll post it up. Someone may benefit from it.

#11 ·
Suggest you add your location, bike year and model to forum. Useful to those trying to offer help.

Can't find where to do that in the user CP but anyway
A 2013 F800GT
I'm in Norfolk UK
Not Virginia
For location, log in > control panel > my settings > edit profile scroll down to location -- type in. Scroll down to Flag ---select.
For Bike details, log in > click garage tab and type in details in block at top of page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.