BMW F800 Forum banner

TPMS intermitant for over a year

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Lag 
#1 ·
My TPMS on the rear wheel has been acting up for a year now,,. It started blanking out -- in the middle of a ride last season after coming off a ruff washboard road,,. Blanks out then is fine for an hour or two then fine again,,. Originally I thought it a weak battery that was re generating when the bike was off however its been coming and going even during a longer ride with no stops, and this has been going on for over a year,,. The bike is a low mileage 2015 with just over 24,000 Km's, the problem started around 16,000 Km's,,,.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and what is the consensus on how long these batteries last?

I need to remove the wheel for a tire issue so is there anything I can look for or do when the wheel is off?

#2 ·
I had the same issue. My front tire sensor would work only intermittently. Nova Chris in another thread on TPMS came up with this solution.

So here's what I bought.

Baird Stone Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensor 8532732 Fits for BMW
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DDGYMYJ/

This wasn't the least expensive, but looks to be the actual OEM Schrader sensor.

You'll need to "wake up" the sensor and pair it with the bike's computer.

JDIAG 2IN1 TPMS Relearn Tool Super EL50448 for GM and Ford Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS Reset Tool 2020 Edition
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076KL82JP

I think I could've gone with a slightly less expensive tool that did only GM products, but I didn't want to take the chance. It seems there are only a couple frequencies that are used for TPMS monitoring. There's not a "BMW" frequency.

You use that tool with a GS-911 or Motoscan tool to pair it with the bike's computer.

This video will show you the process on a R1200RT.

Cost was $38 for the sensor, $18 for the TPMS tool, and I already had a GS-911 that I'd purchased from a friend a few years ago.

Chris

#7 ·
Thanks guys for the links, I had located some in China for a fraction of the price however these Baird Stone ones are probable a more reliable option, and still reasonable by comparison,.

Is there anything I could do besides an out an out replacement tomorrow with the existing one,. Seems unusual that a battery would take a full year and its still not dead,,. I sort of notice the ruff stuff seems to set it off, but not consistently?

#8 ·
Lyle, I went through almost the exact same situation. I changed tires last summer and it began to be intermittent, but it wasn't an issue. I'd say it worked about 97% of the time. Then in September, I changed tires again and thought about doing the battery change in the sensors and decided to wait. It got much worse.

Then Nova Chris in another thread said he bought a sensor off Amazon and replaced his, and used a cheap tool to have it be recognized by the bike. I didn't even take the tire off the rim all the way. I just broke the bead and got myself enough room to swap the sensor out.

My thought is to buy a new battery and see if I can get the old one to work again. I believe the battery is about the same as a watch battery. You poke out the hard plastic covering on the back side and solder a new battery in. If I screw it up, I'll buy another online. The Baird Stone sensor I bought was about $10 more than some of the others. The others looked like Chinese knockoffs. If the Baird Stone sensor is a China knock off, they did an excellent job in replicating the numbering on the outside.

If there's anything else wrong besides the battery, I doubt you could fix it anyway. I knew mine was going bad. In the beginning the TPMS would give me a reading in about 100 ft. Recently, it has taken sometimes 20 miles...and then it may still not function. Now the one I replaced, reads immediately and the rear wheel that is still original, is waiting longer before responding. I'll probably just replace it when I change the rear tire.

BTW, when this coronavirus clears up and the border opens, do you want to ride over to Artist Point?

Chris

#9 · (Edited)
Chris,,,,I see your in Seattle, good idea on Artist Point,. Normally I do a fair amount of my riding in Washington State as I live right on the US/CAN boarder, some of the best backroad riding around is in the Baker, Winthrop, LaConnor area's,,. Ill definitely take you up on that ride,,. I'm thinking the borders will be opening up late in the game, perhaps not even this riding season, will have to see,,. Ill be one of the first to cross when its legal and sensible to do so!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.