Footpeg and controls modification - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    darrell
    05-26-20
    I have a 2010 F800ST and 2 knee replacements that get painful very quickly on the stock footpegs AND on my set of lowered footpegs. Does anyone have input (constructive) on how the footpegs and controls can be relocated for less knee bend. I would prefer to keep the bike but I am not able to ride for more than 20 minutes without pain. Help would be appreciated. thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Dependent on how tall you are but as well as lowered pegs I also added a comfort high seat, primarily to reduce knee bend. The problem with lowering the pegs (as I'm sure you are finding out) is that moving the controls is not always straightforward.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Andy
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F 800 ST
    Fortuitous timing because as it happens to be, my wife is looking at swapping her F800GT footpeg brackets/rearsets for a set from F800ST. The GT's footpegs are 15mm lower and 15mm further forward than the ST's. She prefers the more aggressive foot position on my F800ST and having both the ST and GT side by side in the garage to compare, it looks to me 100% interchangeable with all mounting points. Aside from the footpeg brackets themselves, the only other parts that I suspect would need to also swap over are the footpeg springs (GT springs hook into bracket in a different spot) and the front externally threaded half of the shifter rod. Everything else seems the same: shift and brake pedal lengths, master cylinder mounting, etc. I was already planning to swap then between our two bike because I wanted confirm fitment before starting a Trade-wanted Classifieds thread.

I would imagine that if you combined the lowering pegs you already have with the more roomy GT footpeg brackets, you might get the desired relief. If you're interested, let me know what kind of condition/mileage your brackets are in. Her GT is a 2016 with almost exactly 10,000 on the odo.

Here's the GT footpeg brackets:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4016.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	704.8 KB 
ID:	363221

Name:	IMG_4018.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	666.9 KB 
ID:	363223

And the ST's for comparison:

Name:	IMG_4024.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	701.8 KB 
ID:	363225

Name:	IMG_4030.JPG 
Size:	647.5 KB 
ID:	363227

5. LikesMGD109 liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    darrell
    05-26-20
    I just saw your reply, thanks, I will check your pics for position difference and the details involved in switching. 2010 with 24k. Very Good condition overall. Mike

Real Name
    darrell
    05-26-20
    I test rode my ST yesterday with a gel pad and a sheepskin over it on the stock seat. Made a big difference in knee pain!!! I am moving forward with the taller seat idea..Thank You MGD109!!

Real Name
    darrell
    05-26-20
    Quote Originally Posted by andysrage View Post
    Fortuitous timing because as it happens to be, my wife is looking at swapping her F800GT footpeg brackets/rearsets for a set from F800ST. The GT's footpegs are 15mm lower and 15mm further forward than the ST's. She prefers the more aggressive foot position on my F800ST and having both the ST and GT side by side in the garage to compare, it looks to me 100% interchangeable with all mounting points. Aside from the footpeg brackets themselves, the only other parts that I suspect would need to also swap over are the footpeg springs (GT springs hook into bracket in a different spot) and the front externally threaded half of the shifter rod. Everything else seems the same: shift and brake pedal lengths, master cylinder mounting, etc. I was already planning to swap then between our two bike because I wanted confirm fitment before starting a Trade-wanted Classifieds thread.

I would imagine that if you combined the lowering pegs you already have with the more roomy GT footpeg brackets, you might get the desired relief. If you're interested, let me know what kind of condition/mileage your brackets are in. Her GT is a 2016 with almost exactly 10,000 on the odo.

Here's the GT footpeg brackets:

Name:	IMG_4016.JPG 
Size:	704.8 KB 
ID:	363221

Name:	IMG_4018.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	666.9 KB 
ID:	363223

And the ST's for comparison:

Name:	IMG_4024.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	701.8 KB 
ID:	363225

Name:	IMG_4030.JPG 
Size:	647.5 KB 
ID:	363227
    I appreciate your reaching out to me concerning the GT to ST swap. An issue I have, that I did not get into earlier, is that this ST is lowered on Wilburs racing suspension and with the lowering kit installed I need to be very aware that each time i lean into a curve i need to raise the lowered foot to keep from hitting the pavement! If I were to install the GT footpeg and that lowers the feet more, it will exacerbate the foot drag. I appreciate your offer, but until I get the bike suspension raised to stock height, I will stick with the ST footpeg bracket and the lowering kit. Thanks!

10. Likesandysrage liked this post

2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by darrell_ickt View Post
    .......I am moving forward with the taller seat idea........
    In case you are unaware the seats, either high, low or standard, are all interchangeable between the F800 S, ST, R and GT models. Useful to know if doing secondhand searches. F800GS is not compatable.
    In the Garage 2013 BMW F800 GT,1994 BMW R80 RT,1986 BMW R80 GS,1999 Yamaha SR125
    Sorley missed Honda TLR200
    Enjoy the ride 

Real Name
    Andy
    14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F 800 ST
    Glad you found knee relief with a taller saddle; simple solution. I can see how GT foot peg brackets could exaggerate your toe clearance issue when paired with lowered suspension and adjustable foot pegs. Never thought of that since my ST has never dragged foot pegs even while knee down on the track. It's always impressed me with it clearance for a "touring" machine.