BMW F800 Forum banner

Bmw 2007 f800s

804 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ccramerusc 
#1 ·
I would like to know how I would go about adding the Gear and Gas indicator on my dash. I believe it is possible under the time and mileage. I just purchased it and the previous owner told me to ask because it’s something simple that can be done since it’s already on there it just needs to be programmed to get on there. I want to see my gas and gear status. Help!!

#3 ·
You need to have it programmed. The easiest method is using the Motoscan Android app with the necessary cable and OBD2 interface.

Overall, to get the full functionality of the onboard computer you need:

1. Replacement instrument cluster front cover (either modify yours or get one off Aliexpress) - to remove the blanking plastic part over part of the screen.
2. Outside air temperature sensor which then should be mounted on the left side of the black plastic headlight shroud (there's a hole for it there, the wiring is there, too).
3. Left handlebar switches with the computer data toggle button (depending on region it has "BC" or "Info" written on it).

I think that's all. Not that cheap and not that simple to do. The left handlebar controls and the Motoscan app with hardware are probably the most expensive components. You need the most expensive version of the app to have programming functionality.

#4 ·
1. Replacement instrument cluster front cover (either modify yours or get one off Aliexpress) - to remove the blanking plastic part over part of the screen.
2. Outside air temperature sensor which then should be mounted on the left side of the black plastic headlight shroud (there's a hole for it there, the wiring is there, too).
3. Left handlebar switches with the computer data toggle button (depending on region it has "BC" or "Info" written on it).

I think that's all. Not that cheap and not that simple to do. The left handlebar controls and the Motoscan app with hardware are probably the most expensive components. You need the most expensive version of the app to have programming functionality.
Is the gear position potentiometer not required?

#5 ·
Nope, that is present on all bikes as it's main function is letting the ECU know what gear the bike is in. The gear display is actually just a nice extra and it's simple greed on BMW's part to charge for it.

Gear potentiometer is located under the front pulley cover. It's a black device secured by 2 screws.

#6 ·
Nope, that is present on all bikes as it's main function is letting the ECU know what gear the bike is in.....
That's very interesting. Mine has failed it will always shows correct gear for 3rd,4th,5th and 6th but on occasion it will show incorrect for 1st 2nd and Neutral or display blank. I removed it (left it electrically connected) and it's clear that if you manually rotate there is no ambiguity with the top 4 gears it will display them "cleanly", but at the other end very small moments will cause the display to jump between 1st, 2nd and neutral or give a blank display. I have not bothered about it but I thought the only thing that may be relayed to the ECU was whether or not it's in neutral or not so as to not let you start it in gear is the ECU using gear position for more than that?

#7 ·
Hm, tbh I'm not sure. It could have slightly different engine map for some of the gears but maybe not.

As for your failure I wouldn't be so sure it's actually done for. On mine it also sometimes shows blank for 1st or 2nd. Neutral usually shows ok. If it requires only a small movement to change the displayed gear maybe the small amount of slack in the gearbox can sometimes rotate the shaft by an insufficient amount.

#8 ·
I get similar issue on my ST a couple times a year. Whenever it happens, I just unplug it, clean the connections, and make sure it's firmly plugged back in. Then it seems to work perfectly for months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.