Magnetic Interference? - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Michael Kalinosky
    02-12-21
    So I'm considering a magnetic tank bag. I have a micro bag from Firstgear that will hold just enough. It's small enough that it won't get in my way standing on the pegs. The Wolfman bag I've used on my RT is overkill.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...nk%20bag-L.jpg

The bag will stay in place if I glue some of these neodynium magnets under the "tank" cover.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...0magnets-L.jpg

They are very strong magnets, and their field extends farther in space than a typical one made of iron. There are a lot of electronics in the vicinity. Anyone know if the magnets will cause trouble?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    11 Hours Ago
    While it has never happened to me because I don't have any electronic do-dads, some magnetic tank bag manufacturers say not to carry any electronic gadgets in their tank bags as they might be damaged. However, I doubt there will be any impact on the bike's electronics. They are probably well shielded.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I bought a nice magnetic bag, just before buying my F800GT. It was brand new, barely used. I thought about the magnets and tried to see if they'd work by taping them under the plastic panels. What I had for magnets, just wasn't strong enough.

I ended up buying a Givi bag that uses the "gas tank" locking bracket. An advantage there, is you can swap amongst the bags in the line that also use the locking mechanism. SW-Motech makes some that are similar. Our gas tank opening isn't where the "normal" location is, but both companies make a bracket to use instead.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    JR
    5 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F750GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Single)
    The magnets won't hurt yours or the bikes electronics but don't put any credit cards near then if you intend to use the magnetic data strips. I can't tell you how many cards I wiped out while working on MRI systems. The electronic devices were always fine - if they didn't get yanked off my person. It seems I'd always find out on Friday nights when I'd go to use my ATM card. The chips in the newer cards aren't susceptible even if the redundant (vestigial?) magnetic strips are.