Warning Light - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

05-18-20
    F800gs wouldn't start this morning. Click, buzz-not turning over. This warning light is on. What does it mean?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200518-WA0000_1589786504938.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	364111  

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Week Ago
    Is it the heated grips? and so a battery issue. I, unfortunately, don't have heated grips so not sure.

Real Name
    Kevin Huddy
    52 Minutes Ago
    That is the heated grips indicator. Two dots means they are on high, one dot would mean low. They are are also controlled by the ignition switch so leaving them on when the bike is parked will not run down the battery, if the ignition is off. You probably have a low battery and it is unrelated to the grips being on, other than trying to start the bike with the grips on may put an extra load on the battery. When the starter is activated, then some electrical circuits, headlight for example, do not receive any power. This is done to reduce the load on the battery during start-up, but I am unsure if the power is also cut to the heated grips. Do you have an owner's manual? If not you should get one. If you do, then you will find that info about the dash symbols is in it.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard
    12 Hours Ago
    In my experience, clicking and buzzing is usually an indication that the battery is too discharged to turn over the starter motor. The first thing I would do is to recharge the battery with a motorcycle battery charger and then give it another try.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

7. LikesRunmyownlife liked this post

Real Name
    Andrew
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    In my experience, clicking and buzzing is usually an indication that the battery is too discharged to turn over the starter motor. The first thing I would do is to recharge the battery with a motorcycle battery charger and then give it another try.
    +1
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

notacop is online The original Schwartz Wald Troll

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Since the small jumper batteries are so cheap I got a couple to carry on the bike or the car.
    But so many folks are loath to use a saddle bag or top box or a tool tube. Even a tank bag that can carry a bottle of water and a set of jumper cables or a jumper battery seems to offend some. So there is no place to have self recovery tool.
    Sudden Battery Death seems to affect all brands of bike.

11 Hours Ago
    I have seen batteries fail overnight, without warning. Here today, gone tomorrow.

11. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    JR
    4 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F750GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Single)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    +2

Real Name
    Scott
    05-22-20
    I had a problem not long ago that was similar, with my 2007 F800ST. With this difference: the bike started in the morning with a bit of strain and lag, but started and ran fine for the 10 mile ride to work. It seemed odd, but not so odd that I didn't figure it a major problem. The battery was old and I thought it may have just lost a bit of charge after sitting some days, and figured it would charge up on the ride in.

At the end of that day to go home, the bike would not start, with the same clicking and such that you had. Dead battery.

The short story is, the alternator had died and was not charging the battery, so the bike was relying on and drawing down the battery charge each time I used it. As there is no warning light for the alternator on this particular model and/or year there was no way to know. I guess I was lucky the bike didn't just stop on the freeway that morning. Apparently the 2007 was susceptible to bad alternators, a known year 1 failure I wasn't aware of.

If your battery went bad overnight it could be sudden battery death. But there might be a problem with your charging system that didn't show, if your bike also has no warning light.

Real Name
    Richard
    12 Hours Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by sacsound100 View Post
    I had a problem not long ago that was similar, with my 2007 F800ST. With this difference: the bike started in the morning with a bit of strain and lag, but started and ran fine for the 10 mile ride to work. It seemed odd, but not so odd that I didn't figure it a major problem. The battery was old and I thought it may have just lost a bit of charge after sitting some days, and figured it would charge up on the ride in.

At the end of that day to go home, the bike would not start, with the same clicking and such that you had. Dead battery.

The short story is, the alternator had died and was not charging the battery, so the bike was relying on and drawing down the battery charge each time I used it. As there is no warning light for the alternator on this particular model and/or year there was no way to know. I guess I was lucky the bike didn't just stop on the freeway that morning. Apparently the 2007 was susceptible to bad alternators, a known year 1 failure I wasn't aware of.

If your battery went bad overnight it could be sudden battery death. But there might be a problem with your charging system that didn't show, if your bike also has no warning light.
    I had a similar starting problem with the gel cell battery that I had bought for my F560GS, which was manufactured in June 2008. I was worried about the alternator, too. So I installed a digital voltmeter and the alternator checked out OK, with a constant voltage of 14.2 volts while the engine is running. Apparently the battery was just tired, so I replaced it with an expensive lithium battery and now the bike starts up like a champ.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

8 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Check these things in this order:
    1. Charge up the battery and load test it to ensure it isn't bad.
    2. If you can boost /run the bike, test your charging system (stator) to ensure its putting out the appropriate voltage (~13.5 V).the
    3. If the battery is fully charged and it still won't start, you likely have a bad starter relay (could also be a bad start switch but the relay is more likely).
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, 2019 F800GT, 2010 F650GS twin