Bad vibes from 5000rpm on 07 f800s. - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Oscar
    16 Hours Ago
    Iím a tad worried about the bad vibes the bike has started to produce from 5000rpm all the way up 8k.
    No loss off power and the bike has been serviced as it should.
    Things Iíve ruled out are improperly balanced wheels, any loose major nuts and bolts and bearings.
    I appreciate itís difficult to diagnose online but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions or experienced and sorted out any similar problem.
    2007 F800S in yellow with triple double wobble sprocket and clad in full fairing from Pyramid Plastics.†

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Probably the first thing I would do, is to determine if the vibration increases as the rpms increase or if it stays the same in that rpm range. See what you can determine while riding.

Then I'd put it up on the centerstand and run it through that rpm range trying to determine where the vibration is coming from. Try it in neutral first to see if it is just in the engine. If you still can't duplicate it, put the bike in gear to get the driveline engaged. And obviously...be totally sure the rear wheel cannot possibly touch the ground while you're running it, or you will have far worse things to take care of than a simple vibration.

The idea being to simply try to gain as much info as you can while riding. Then start trying to eliminate things and duplicate the situation where you can walk around the bike and get closer to the source of the vibration.

When is the last time you had the spark plugs changed? Have you checked to see if the spark plug wires are connected securely? If you can get a dark environment, you might be able to check if you're getting a short in the wires when you run the bike. You'll see a spark jump across from the wire to metal.

I'm sure others who are a lot more mechanically inclined than I am will chime in.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Real Name
    Oscar
    16 Hours Ago
    Thanks for replying. The vibes are most strong when they start at 5k to 6k but carry on up the revs. I feel at the moment they are from the engine as they are apparent in every gear at the same revs I quoted earlier, even in neutral when I’m sat on the bike revving.
    Thanks for your spark plug suggestion. I’ll run that by the dealer I bought the bike from and continue to investigate from there.
    Thanks again
    2007 F800S in yellow with triple double wobble sprocket and clad in full fairing from Pyramid Plastics.†

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    2 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I seem to remember something about piston slap on some models of the F800. Is yours in that group? Could the vibration be related to that?

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6

Real Name
    Oscar
    16 Hours Ago
    Not sure it’d be piston slap, but you never know. Will have to investigate that.
    The bike doesn’t smoke, it’s not down on power and it’s still relatively quiet.
    I did however, check the spark plugs this afternoon, so will replace them as they’ve seen better days and found out they’ve not been changed in a while. Hopefully I’ll get to the bottom of it and it not be something major!