BMW F800 Forum banner

Home brew bar risers

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  IanA 
#1 ·
I have been thinking that having my handlebars a bit higher might be nice for touring - but I am too cheap to buy anything! (Turns out that was a mistake as this took a really long time).

I copied the 20mm bar risers that I have seen on this forum, and it went fine. I had to buy $15 worth of 1-1/8" aluminum rod, $6.28 worth of 10x90mm allen head bolts, and I used some stainless sheet and stainless screws and nuts that I had on hand. I originally tried to machine the taper at the top of the riser to fit into the BMW handlebar mounts - but it turns out they were more stable with the single machined step. The only bolts I could find locally were black oxide - and although it doesn't look like it in this photo I plated them with an Eastwood plating kit, then painted them with spray gray so they won't corrode.

After machining the risers I powder coated them with Silver Lining Metallic powder coat that was an excellent match for the factory finish.

The only problem that I ran into is the brake line that goes from the master cylinder....the horizontal one from the bottom of the yoke to back into the chassis. The line gets moved up a bit to allow the bars to rise, and this resulted in the line rubbing on the bottom of the yoke at full lock to the left. I tried everything to make the bracket it a way that would provide clearance - but there just isn't room. The bracket I made was an accurate copy, and there really isn't much room for error in how you make it as the parts interlock and there really isn't any way to move the line to provide more clearance. I finally had to use a Dremel and die grinder to remove the sharp at the bottom rear of the yoke where the brake line interferes. (NOTE: Anybody that has installed one of the factory kits look over that area carefully at full lock to the left.......make sure your brake line is not rubbing the rubber coating away!)

When I sat on the bike it immediately felt better, and I could tell my hands were a bit higher. I went for a 20 minute ride - and now I can't tell the difference as it feels normal now.

I would suggest that anybody who wants bar risers go buy them......it is worth the price they charge not to have to do it yourself!

Dave

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Cool, would love to have the skills and kit to do stuff like that. Regarding the rubbing brake line, did you remove and reroute the right hand calliper? If not I'll have a look to see if I still have the instructions which came with my riser kit, as it's not obvious!

#5 ·
Yep....I love my tools! It is time consuming to build stuff - but it is fun and good therapy!

I did find and print a copy the online installation instructions from 2 companies that make and sell a kit, and I rerouted the brake line as instructed..........it is done as it should have been done.

I did go on a longer ride this morning and it does help to have the bars up a bit - but they are still a bit lower and not as comfy as the reach to the bars on the R1200RT.

#4 ·
I've gotten bar risers from the maker and I've gotten used bar risers from the for sale section of forums too.
So they don't have to be expensive if you get lucky. The seller safely wrapped the indestructible bar risers in a great floppy hat from Paracas Peru too.
That was as much a score of virtual travel as the bar risers.

#6 ·
Thumpin, a friend was a machinist and as he was constantly using the lathe and mill to help with repairs of home stuff. He declared he did know how people got along with out them.
i reminded him that a lot of folks can go to Home Depot and buy a few plastic garden irrigation pieces rather than repair them with his shop tools.
But with skill those tools can make wondrous things happen.

#7 ·
Well done, T-Pin! I found that one of the advantages of going for one of the better aftermarket riser kits such as Rox or MV (apart from saving time) is that you can adjust the pullback angle as well as the height - very helpful if you are a shorty like me. Just sayin'....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.