BMW F800 Forum banner

Disappointed in my new bike

5K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  Kevin313 
#1 ·
It's not the bike's fault.

I have been riding for years but sold off my last bike, a 2012 Z1000, to pay bills. This spring rolled around and I got the fever so I bought a 2013 F800R through a dealership about 9 hours away from me. I couldn't see the bike in person so I had to go off of the photos, which looked good. I asked the salesman if there was anything wrong with it and he said "the switches are faded because BMW uses cheap plastic that doesn't do well when the sun hits it."

It's a 2013 so it's pretty new, so I think it will be fine. I waited 5 weeks for delivery and I was really bummed when I saw it. Everything is sun-bleached and faded. Whoever bought this bike left it outside and uncovered for the entire 7 years of its existence. Most of the screws on the bike have got rust on them. The dealership did put a new set of Michelins on it and a new chain, oil, etc. The paint still looks good, but I can't believe someone wouldn't at least buy a cover for their bike.

So I take it out for a spin and it is wretchedly uncomfortable. I've never had a bike with footpegs so far up and to the rear...and I've had ZX-10R's, Z1000's, all that. I have a sneaking suspicion the dealership didn't tell me that this bike has the low seat option, because I can't see any modifications to the pegs. So I take the seat off to get the part number and the underneath of the seat is absolutely filthy. Like mildew, tree sap and anything else you can think of. It's trying to grow out from under the seat and onto the paint.

The seat ended up being the extra low version, so now I'm waiting on a "high comfort" seat that I bought off of eBay for $200 to get here before I can ride the thing. I was on it for about 20 minutes and wanted off. Man, this thing feels like it's about to fly apart when I take it to redline! I knew motor vibration was a common complaint going in though. Here are some pictures of the nasty parts:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
ho what a fragging shame... well the comfort seat will be an upgrade ( your current seat as the codename "plank of wood"), but... would have it killed the dealer to at least clean it a little? and the "cheap plastic" excuse is bull. Can we get a full picture of your bike?

#5 ·
Well the paint is good, aside from a few nicks where the previous owner dropped it and rubbed his belt buckle on the plastics in front of the seat. The bike cleans up okay, but just looking under the seat shows me how the bike was truly cared for. The switchgear is rough on the eye but it does work. And I suppose if it bothered me too much I can buy some used stuff on eBay. I might be able to bring it back a little with the plastic color restoration creams they sell at the car parts stores.

The crash bars are nice, plus a Puig windscreen. It has bar risers and I just installed a Two Brothers slip-on muffler today...I did a lot of research and it was the loudest can I could find in any videos I saw. It does not disappoint.

Thanks for having a look! I am happy to be here. The comfort seat will be on it's way as soon as Memorial Day weekend is over and hopefully I'll get to pack on some miles and get to know this bike. That high comfort seat sure is ugly with that lump in the middle though...

#6 ·
It's a shame you weren't on the forum a few years ago when I bought my F800GT. I swapped about 3 seats trying to find the right one. I didn't know I should charge so much for the seats and in many cases, made the swap for just shipping. Oh well. It is what it is.

Regarding the black plastic, there's hope. I found a product at O'Reilly's that's called "Black Again". It goes on clear and takes the oxidation out of the plastic, making it look like new again. I know of only one case where it failed. I don't know what is in it, but the chemicals are activated by UV light. So sitting in the sun is a good way to getting it back to "new". Your switches might benefit from it too. Like I said, it goes on clear. I doubt it would take a red switch and make it black. I suspect it only removes the oxidation.

If you're in a lockdown area, now is a good chance to give it the tender loving care it needs. And when you finish with it, you'll know that it was you that did it all.

As for the vibration...it may go away. Some have it worse than others. Mine is the smoothest twin I've ridden. So there's hope for that too.

Chris

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice! Just out of curiosity, what seat did you settle on and how tall are you? The standard seat is only around an inch higher than the extra low that I have so I didn't think it would make much of a difference. That's why I went with the "high comfort" seat that's going to give me about 3 inches more height than I have now. I'm 6' tall and I'm hoping I made the right choice.

#8 ·
Ya you need to look at a used bike,,,there's used and there's used,,. Also you have to consider the care on the inside, the oils and the fluids,,.
It actually looks surprisingly good in the pictures,,. A couple of products that breath life into old parts are Kerosene for cleaning and Back to Black polish by Mothers,,.
Some parts you may want to replace but all and all you have a nice looking bike,,. I like the color scheme,,!!

#12 ·
I actually have some of the Mother's Back to Black that I bought for a car not too long ago...I was thinking of using it on the mirrors, turn signals and license plate holder. It would clean up nicely if I put some elbow grease into it, though I don't know what to do about the rusted screws and bolts. I can either put up with them or replace them because they're cheap.

I'm looking through the "disclosure label" that the dealer sent to me and I see where they inspected the bike. They put new tires on it, what appears to be a new chain, and the brake fluid is a nice light yellow. I don't see why they wouldn't have changed the oil as well, so I'm thinking mechanically the bike is good to go. How long the bike was neglected before they did that work remains to be seen.

#9 ·
Check with your local BMW dealer to see if the switchgear has been replaced by recall (not sure the R models were included in the recall, but you might get a new set of switchgear for free). He can look up the VIN and service history. Your bike was obviously neglected — I’d replace the oil, filters, and brake fluid pronto,

BTW, I’m 6’6” and have the stock pegs and tall comfort seat on my F800GT. It’s perfectly comfortable for me.

#13 ·
Check with your local BMW dealer to see if the switchgear has been replaced by recall (not sure the R models were included in the recall, but you might get a new set of switchgear for free). He can look up the VIN and service history. Your bike was obviously neglected - I'd replace the oil, filters, and brake fluid pronto,

BTW, I'm 6'6" and have the stock pegs and tall comfort seat on my F800GT. It's perfectly comfortable for me.
Thank you for this info! I'm willing to bet this hasn't been done, as bad as the switchgear looks. I will run to my local dealer this week and have a look...that would be a godsend if they just replaced both sides with some nice new switches. Otherwise, they're around $300 a side.

I looked up the switch recall and everything I read said my bike was one of the ones that should get new switchgear. Here's hoping.

#11 ·
That's a shame, sorry OP. Mine is 2012, and looks super nice, considering it's got 25k on it and has been living outside albeit with a cover. Hope you can do something and return it, looks like they wanted to get rid of it as shadily as they can. What dealer was it if you don't mind throwing them under the bus?

#19 ·
https://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/read-about-other-customer-experiences--reviews

There actually quite well reviewed, might be worth a phone call,. Might be the condition was reflected price,,? Would be worthwhile to know?
Also they would or should have a wholesale in with BMW,,. 300 ea for those switches is tuff love for an older bike?
My GS has a few scraches on the center panal cover and I was seriously considering replacement as the rest of the bike was pretty clean,. Just couldnt bring myself to put out 300.00 plus for it,,. Ended up with a can of Satin Black and just as happy,,!!

#18 ·
I live five miles from Road Track and Trail! A friend of mine (who also has an ST) lives in the Big Bend area, so let me know if you need tools or advice. We both do all our own work on our F800's and occasionally get together for rides.

Welcome to the F800 group.
Chris

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Next time I wouldnt buy a bike without seeing it and test riding it....
But you have it now and you need to stay positive.
What I would do.
1) Spray some industrial cleaner on it and then wash the bike down with a water jet.
2) Once dried spray the mechanical parts and electrical parts with WD-40 and leave it for a week and then wipe it over.
3) The plastic parts you can paint with plastic spray paint. If you know a screenprinter they can maybe make up something for the faded letters and icons on the switches. You could also get stickers made up to cover the faded letters icons on the switches.
4) Check the Torque of all the engine mounts yhis could be the vibration issue.
5) The F800 models tend to vibrate snd fitting heavier bar ends from HVMP will reduce the vibration considerably through the bars.
6) Fitting rubber foot pegs will also help reduce vibration.. You can also get extendions for the footpegs that lower the footpegs...

Hope this helps you in some way and good luck...

#23 ·
F800R took me awhile to get comfortable , the metal foot pegs are small and slippery and I am old and fat. The riding position cramped my legs a bit for ground clearance I probably will never use. The GS suits my body and riding style better. The thing is, I got it at a great price, and actually have a history of cafe racers and a little road racing. I was willing to try it awhile to see if I would acclimate. It's nimble and fast enough, vibration is non existant compared to my Hondas and Kawasaki Concours. If you don't have an arm and a leg in it trade it or sell it and go to a GT or GS. Myself I find that after 3 seasons, my body has accepted the new riding position and I don't cramp up as often and after changing footwear, can ride several hours without discomfort . I have been tuning my riding gear to add to the comfort level the latest being a quiet helmet. Replacing or spiffing up weathered components and hardware bit by bit will not break the bank. Ride it, put on some miles, try different gloves and footwear, you will be surprised how much a simple change adds to your ride. The F800R is a sweet nimble ride you may grow to like it if you give it a shot. Mine is a 2012 and had low miles I put on tires and fork seals this year, and that was the major expense so far. When I can, I am springing for a GS but it must be a smoking deal and I am keeping the R. Ride safe .

#27 ·
You're right, it is a sweet bike that is very easy to ride. I got rid of the Extra Low seat and replaced it with the Tall Comfort seat and it is much, much better. Somebody also put bar risers on my bike so they are about an inch higher.

They put a Puig windshield on it and I have to say it's just shooting a jet of air straight into my helmet. I like the look of the colored fly screen so I'm taking the windshield off and probably polishing and sealing the paint. There's a film behind the headlight lenses as well so I need to figure out how to clean those. I got the bike for $4,500 before shipping so it wasn't a horrible deal...I'm going to spend the summer with it and see how it goes. I think I'll like it.

#28 ·
Forgive me guys, I don't see any way to do a multi-quote reply on here so I had to answer posts one at a time.

So I went to the dealer and checked the VIN on a few websites and everything said there are no open recalls on my bike right now...so no free switchgear. I've already cleaned the grime from under the seat and it looks 100% better, though I know there is more lurking under the cracks elsewhere. I'm going to put Back to Black on the plastics this week and I'll have some pictures for you all soon.

Thanks for all of your help.

#30 ·
The last used motorcycle I bought from a dealer was a Honda Grom with ~4000 miles on it. Never again. And, I would never consider buying a used motorcycle sight unseen.

To be blunt, KnoxRider didn't do due diligence on this purchase. If he had, he would have seen that this particular F800 had been grossly neglected, and probably would have realized that it was not a good fit for his body. Before buying a used 2014 F700GS in 2018, I took a test ride on a F800ST and realized that the riding position, which might have been acceptable in my 20's or 30's was no longer suitable for my aging body.

#31 ·
The last used motorcycle I bought from a dealer was a Honda Grom with ~4000 miles on it. Never again. And, I would never consider buying a used motorcycle sight unseen.

To be blunt, KnoxRider didn't do due diligence on this purchase. If he had, he would have seen that this particular F800 had been grossly neglected, and probably would have realized that it was not a good fit for his body. Before buying a used 2014 F700GS in 2018, I took a test ride on a F800ST and realized that the riding position, which might have been acceptable in my 20's or 30's was no longer suitable for my aging body.
I am 73 so I hear you. It did take a while to adjust my riding and position to fit the bike I am 6ft 240lbs. It's probably not for everyone but we are currently getting along without discomfort after a few seasons. But the GS version does call to me. I will have to get one.

#32 ·
Okay so I've spent some time getting to know the bike. The switchgear is dry and rough and the button presses don't feel very nice. But that's about where my gripes end. I have never ridden a bike that is so easy to maneuver. The clutch is phenomenal, the brakes are really excellent, and the low center of gravity makes me feel like Chris Pfeiffer.

I have the Two Brothers slip-on exhaust and it's almost like having a straight pipe on this thing. It has that loud BRRRAAPP sound when I'm grunting around town on it. I really like the middleweight class...enough power to have fun but not that rip-your-arms-off power from a literbike. I can flog this thing to the moon and get my kicks without doing 160 mph.

It also has the interesting looks, and most people don't know what it is. I like the fact that people see the BMW roundel on the side but it's a naked bike with an obnoxiously loud exhaust. That being said, there are certain quirks about the bike, take them or leave them.

-It's a short-range fighter. I ride to work for about 30 minutes on the highway at 80 mph+. No way would I take this thing on any trip longer than a couple hours. Since I bought it used it had a black Puig windshield on it but it directed a jet of air straight at my helmet and made it loud and uncomfortable. I took the windshield off and now it's great. Plus I get to see the colored fly screen that came with the bike and it looks way better.

-It doesn't pass as fast as I would like on the highway. If i'm going 80 and someone is cruising in the fast lane and I drop to 3rd gear and try to get around them, it takes a little longer than I'd like. No worries, but it does make me think twice before I try. The 1000cc four cylinders I've had in the past made short work of any pass at any speed. It's not a shortcoming, just more like a characteristic of the bike.

-Every bike I have ever owned except my first bike (1982 Kawasaki 305 CSR) had a positive neutral finder...this bike does not. I really like having one and I don't understand why something so simple for the engineers to install would have been neglected. To pull up to a stoplight and just lift your foot to have it go into neutral is really sweet. It takes some finesse to get it right, but also maybe a characteristic of the bike.

That's about all I've got. I do love the bike, and I'm working on cleaning it up. For anyone following this thread, I did try to put some Mothers Forever Black on the seat and black trim bits to help with the sun fading with no luck. At least the paint is good.

Also I've put about 200 miles on the bike and got a nail in my brand new back tire. Not the best luck so far but I've got a new one on the way. I also cleaned under the seat where all that grime was and got most of it taken care of...I'll post pictures soon. Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice. I will keep at it and will hopefully have many fun miles ahead of me. Cheers.

#34 · (Edited)
A few new photos

Hey guys, I kept looking for good switchgear on eBay and finally found a factory sealed starter/heated handgrip switch for just over $100. Here's a photos of the underside of the seat as well. It's much cleaner but certainly not perfect. I'm still on the prowl for the left side switch gear, just to get some color back into the switches. Every place I have looked on the web wants $300+ for a new switch...definitely not paying that so a good used one it is. They're working for the time being so no rush. Side note: Has anyone ever cleaned the inside of the headlight lens? Mine is all cloudy and I'm not sure if the lens is easily removable or if there is a way to get at the back of it somehow. Thanks for looking!

Hand Automotive tire Gesture Finger Thumb

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Automotive lighting Tire

Blue Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Attachments

#39 ·
Hey guys, I kept looking for good switchgear on eBay and finally found a factory sealed starter/heated handgrip switch for just over $100. Here's a photos of the underside of the seat as well. It's much cleaner but certainly not perfect. I'm still on the prowl for the left side switch gear, just to get some color back into the switches. Every place I have looked on the web wants $300+ for a new switch...definitely not paying that so a good used one it is. They're working for the time being so no rush. Side note: Has anyone ever cleaned the inside of the headlight lens? Mine is all cloudy and I'm not sure if the lens is easily removable or if there is a way to get at the back of it somehow. Thanks for looking!
Nice work! You'd think the dealers would (should) be experts at restoring or cleaning up blemishes which would help their resale value. Guess they didn't want to put the effort in.
Goes to show that bikes can really look great in pics until you get real close up. Hard to capture the fine details and blemishes.

#36 ·
KnoxRider. Great job in getting it looking better. Somewhere on the forum is a thread on how to remove the headlight glass from reflector (not just removing the unit from the bike). It involves some heating and is a bit tricky to do.....you can end up trashing the lot! Try a search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.