Disappointed in my new bike - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    It's not the bike's fault.

I have been riding for years but sold off my last bike, a 2012 Z1000, to pay bills. This spring rolled around and I got the fever so I bought a 2013 F800R through a dealership about 9 hours away from me. I couldn't see the bike in person so I had to go off of the photos, which looked good. I asked the salesman if there was anything wrong with it and he said "the switches are faded because BMW uses cheap plastic that doesn't do well when the sun hits it."

It's a 2013 so it's pretty new, so I think it will be fine. I waited 5 weeks for delivery and I was really bummed when I saw it. Everything is sun-bleached and faded. Whoever bought this bike left it outside and uncovered for the entire 7 years of its existence. Most of the screws on the bike have got rust on them. The dealership did put a new set of Michelins on it and a new chain, oil, etc. The paint still looks good, but I can't believe someone wouldn't at least buy a cover for their bike.

So I take it out for a spin and it is wretchedly uncomfortable. I've never had a bike with footpegs so far up and to the rear...and I've had ZX-10R's, Z1000's, all that. I have a sneaking suspicion the dealership didn't tell me that this bike has the low seat option, because I can't see any modifications to the pegs. So I take the seat off to get the part number and the underneath of the seat is absolutely filthy. Like mildew, tree sap and anything else you can think of. It's trying to grow out from under the seat and onto the paint.

The seat ended up being the extra low version, so now I'm waiting on a "high comfort" seat that I bought off of eBay for $200 to get here before I can ride the thing. I was on it for about 20 minutes and wanted off. Man, this thing feels like it's about to fly apart when I take it to redline! I knew motor vibration was a common complaint going in though. Here are some pictures of the nasty parts:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qeYmiCG.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	364473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nGcHkeh.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	500.2 KB 
ID:	364475  

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

05-23-20
    ho what a fragging shame... well the comfort seat will be an upgrade ( your current seat as the codename "plank of wood"), but... would have it killed the dealer to at least clean it a little? and the "cheap plastic" excuse is bull. Can we get a full picture of your bike?

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    I knew the "cheap plastic" thing was bogus when I heard it, I just didn't think it would be this bad. Here you go:

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

05-23-20
    ooof... Feared it was just a piece of disapointig crap for a moment. Nice color you got there, crashbar and windshield... the seat is giving me pain just by looking at it... hope you get your comfort one soon

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Well the paint is good, aside from a few nicks where the previous owner dropped it and rubbed his belt buckle on the plastics in front of the seat. The bike cleans up okay, but just looking under the seat shows me how the bike was truly cared for. The switchgear is rough on the eye but it does work. And I suppose if it bothered me too much I can buy some used stuff on eBay. I might be able to bring it back a little with the plastic color restoration creams they sell at the car parts stores.

The crash bars are nice, plus a Puig windscreen. It has bar risers and I just installed a Two Brothers slip-on muffler today...I did a lot of research and it was the loudest can I could find in any videos I saw. It does not disappoint.

Thanks for having a look! I am happy to be here. The comfort seat will be on it's way as soon as Memorial Day weekend is over and hopefully I'll get to pack on some miles and get to know this bike. That high comfort seat sure is ugly with that lump in the middle though...

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    It's a shame you weren't on the forum a few years ago when I bought my F800GT. I swapped about 3 seats trying to find the right one. I didn't know I should charge so much for the seats and in many cases, made the swap for just shipping. Oh well. It is what it is.

Regarding the black plastic, there's hope. I found a product at O'Reilly's that's called "Black Again". It goes on clear and takes the oxidation out of the plastic, making it look like new again. I know of only one case where it failed. I don't know what is in it, but the chemicals are activated by UV light. So sitting in the sun is a good way to getting it back to "new". Your switches might benefit from it too. Like I said, it goes on clear. I doubt it would take a red switch and make it black. I suspect it only removes the oxidation.

If you're in a lockdown area, now is a good chance to give it the tender loving care it needs. And when you finish with it, you'll know that it was you that did it all.

As for the vibration...it may go away. Some have it worse than others. Mine is the smoothest twin I've ridden. So there's hope for that too.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    It's a shame you weren't on the forum a few years ago when I bought my F800GT. I swapped about 3 seats trying to find the right one. I didn't know I should charge so much for the seats and in many cases, made the swap for just shipping. Oh well. It is what it is.

Regarding the black plastic, there's hope. I found a product at O'Reilly's that's called "Black Again". It goes on clear and takes the oxidation out of the plastic, making it look like new again. I know of only one case where it failed. I don't know what is in it, but the chemicals are activated by UV light. So sitting in the sun is a good way to getting it back to "new". Your switches might benefit from it too. Like I said, it goes on clear. I doubt it would take a red switch and make it black. I suspect it only removes the oxidation.

If you're in a lockdown area, now is a good chance to give it the tender loving care it needs. And when you finish with it, you'll know that it was you that did it all.

As for the vibration...it may go away. Some have it worse than others. Mine is the smoothest twin I've ridden. So there's hope for that too.

Chris
    Thanks for the advice! Just out of curiosity, what seat did you settle on and how tall are you? The standard seat is only around an inch higher than the extra low that I have so I didn't think it would make much of a difference. That's why I went with the "high comfort" seat that's going to give me about 3 inches more height than I have now. I'm 6' tall and I'm hoping I made the right choice.

Real Name
    Lyle
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Ya you need to look at a used bike,,,there's used and there's used,,. Also you have to consider the care on the inside, the oils and the fluids,,.
    It actually looks surprisingly good in the pictures,,. A couple of products that breath life into old parts are Kerosene for cleaning and Back to Black polish by Mothers,,.
    Some parts you may want to replace but all and all you have a nice looking bike,,. I like the color scheme,,!!

Real Name
    emlevy
    14 Hours Ago
    Check with your local BMW dealer to see if the switchgear has been replaced by recall (not sure the R models were included in the recall, but you might get a new set of switchgear for free). He can look up the VIN and service history. Your bike was obviously neglected — I’d replace the oil, filters, and brake fluid pronto,

BTW, I’m 6’6” and have the stock pegs and tall comfort seat on my F800GT. It’s perfectly comfortable for me.
    2013 BMW F800GT | 2015 BMW R1200RT | 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX | 2019 Honda Monkey 

12. LikesKnoxRider liked this post

9 Hours Ago
    Just wondering is there a place to get those button stickers... After the plastic is renewed those stickers will be gone I suppose.

Real Name
    Sims
    1 Week Ago
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800R
    That's a shame, sorry OP. Mine is 2012, and looks super nice, considering it's got 25k on it and has been living outside albeit with a cover. Hope you can do something and return it, looks like they wanted to get rid of it as shadily as they can. What dealer was it if you don't mind throwing them under the bus?

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by Lag View Post
    Ya you need to look at a used bike,,,there's used and there's used,,. Also you have to consider the care on the inside, the oils and the fluids,,.
    It actually looks surprisingly good in the pictures,,. A couple of products that breath life into old parts are Kerosene for cleaning and Back to Black polish by Mothers,,.
    Some parts you may want to replace but all and all you have a nice looking bike,,. I like the color scheme,,!!
    I actually have some of the Mother's Back to Black that I bought for a car not too long ago...I was thinking of using it on the mirrors, turn signals and license plate holder. It would clean up nicely if I put some elbow grease into it, though I don't know what to do about the rusted screws and bolts. I can either put up with them or replace them because they're cheap.

I'm looking through the "disclosure label" that the dealer sent to me and I see where they inspected the bike. They put new tires on it, what appears to be a new chain, and the brake fluid is a nice light yellow. I don't see why they wouldn't have changed the oil as well, so I'm thinking mechanically the bike is good to go. How long the bike was neglected before they did that work remains to be seen.

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by emlevy View Post
    Check with your local BMW dealer to see if the switchgear has been replaced by recall (not sure the R models were included in the recall, but you might get a new set of switchgear for free). He can look up the VIN and service history. Your bike was obviously neglected — I’d replace the oil, filters, and brake fluid pronto,

BTW, I’m 6’6” and have the stock pegs and tall comfort seat on my F800GT. It’s perfectly comfortable for me.
    Thank you for this info! I'm willing to bet this hasn't been done, as bad as the switchgear looks. I will run to my local dealer this week and have a look...that would be a godsend if they just replaced both sides with some nice new switches. Otherwise, they're around $300 a side.

I looked up the switch recall and everything I read said my bike was one of the ones that should get new switchgear. Here's hoping.

Real Name
    Lyle
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Free switchgear would be a big deal,,. Put an order in for some bolts and screws, 40 bucks will go a long way,,. Also good polish and then 3 coats of wax on the painted surfaces,,. Decals can be found cheep on Al Express, Back to black on hoses as well, you can get rid of lots of plastic scraches with a blow dryer and a pencill eraser, Jiffy marker,,.

I would also review what they told and what impression they gave you and send a letter off to the manager, not the sales guy and see if they can cut you a discount,,. If they dont I would look on there Web site and cut them a nasty review,,. They obviously dont like repete customers,,. Worth a try,,!!

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxRider View Post
    I actually have some of the Mother's Back to Black that I bought for a car not too long ago...I was thinking of using it on the mirrors, turn signals and license plate holder. It would clean up nicely if I put some elbow grease into it, though I don't know what to do about the rusted screws and bolts. I can either put up with them or replace them because they're cheap.

I'm looking through the "disclosure label" that the dealer sent to me and I see where they inspected the bike. They put new tires on it, what appears to be a new chain, and the brake fluid is a nice light yellow. I don't see why they wouldn't have changed the oil as well, so I'm thinking mechanically the bike is good to go. How long the bike was neglected before they did that work remains to be seen.

1 Hour Ago
    i hope it wasn't a BMW dealer - i agree with Lyle - a nasty review is in order (unless of course you got a screaming deal on it)

good thing is, once you get those nasty bits sorted, you'll have a sweet ride - enjoy !
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Free switchgear would be a big deal,,. Put an order in for some bolts and screws, 40 bucks will go a long way,,. Also good polish and then 3 coats of wax on the painted surfaces,,. Decals can be found cheep on Al Express, Back to black on hoses as well, you can get rid of lots of plastic scraches with a blow dryer and a pencill eraser, Jiffy marker,,.

I would also review what they told and what impression they gave you and send a letter off to the manager, not the sales guy and see if they can cut you a discount,,. If they dont I would look on there Web site and cut them a nasty review,,. They obviously dont like repete customers,,. Worth a try,,!!
    Yeah I would be much happier if I could score some free switchgear. I will be all over that...hopefully I don't run into any resistance at the dealer. I think if I spent a little money maybe on new bolts and put the time and elbow grease in that it would be a really sweet looking ride.

I have already left a 1 star review with photos on their Google page. My photos posted to my profile but for some reason aren't showing on the review itself. I have been reading about other people having trouble with Google not showing their photos on reviews they have written. I wonder why.

I bought the bike for $4,500 plus shipping. It looked good from the distance they took the photos, but it didn't show any of the nasty parts. I'm quite sure that was on purpose. It will be a nice bike but I wish I had waited and found a better example maybe closer by so I could have taken a look first.

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    No definitely wasn't a BMW dealer. It was Road, Track and Trail in Wisconsin.

Real Name
    Cramer
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I live five miles from Road Track and Trail! A friend of mine (who also has an ST) lives in the Big Bend area, so let me know if you need tools or advice. We both do all our own work on our F800's and occasionally get together for rides.

Welcome to the F800 group.
    Chris

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    08' F800ST- side panniers & Shad SH45 top case, Russell Day Long seat, MRA Vario Windscreen, SW Motech crash bars, ZTechnik exhaust, PC-8 fuseblock, Stebel Nautilus horn, Throttlemeister throttle lock, SW Motech handlebar risers, LED fog lights, highway pegs 

Real Name
    Lyle
    12 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    https://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/re...ences--reviews

There actually quite well reviewed, might be worth a phone call,. Might be the condition was reflected price,,? Would be worthwhile to know?
    Also they would or should have a wholesale in with BMW,,. 300 ea for those switches is tuff love for an older bike?
    My GS has a few scraches on the center panal cover and I was seriously considering replacement as the rest of the bike was pretty clean,. Just couldnt bring myself to put out 300.00 plus for it,,. Ended up with a can of Satin Black and just as happy,,!!

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxRider View Post
    No definitely wasn't a BMW dealer. It was Road, Track and Trail in Wisconsin.

2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800R
    What a shame... But, some elbow grease, and it's beauty (this bike is beautiful) will resurface again completely.

2 Weeks Ago
    Next time I wouldnt buy a bike without seeing it and test riding it....
    But you have it now and you need to stay positive.
    What I would do.
    1) Spray some industrial cleaner on it and then wash the bike down with a water jet.
    2) Once dried spray the mechanical parts and electrical parts with WD-40 and leave it for a week and then wipe it over.
    3) The plastic parts you can paint with plastic spray paint. If you know a screenprinter they can maybe make up something for the faded letters and icons on the switches. You could also get stickers made up to cover the faded letters icons on the switches.
    4) Check the Torque of all the engine mounts yhis could be the vibration issue.
    5) The F800 models tend to vibrate snd fitting heavier bar ends from HVMP will reduce the vibration considerably through the bars.
    6) Fitting rubber foot pegs will also help reduce vibration.. You can also get extendions for the footpegs that lower the footpegs...

Hope this helps you in some way and good luck...

25. LikesKnoxRider liked this post

Real Name
    Matt
    05-28-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    I also have '13. Any idea what make your crash bars are? Thanks.

Matt

4 Weeks Ago
    F800R took me awhile to get comfortable , the metal foot pegs are small and slippery and I am old and fat. The riding position cramped my legs a bit for ground clearance I probably will never use. The GS suits my body and riding style better. The thing is, I got it at a great price, and actually have a history of cafe racers and a little road racing. I was willing to try it awhile to see if I would acclimate. It's nimble and fast enough, vibration is non existant compared to my Hondas and Kawasaki Concours. If you don't have an arm and a leg in it trade it or sell it and go to a GT or GS. Myself I find that after 3 seasons, my body has accepted the new riding position and I don't cramp up as often and after changing footwear, can ride several hours without discomfort . I have been tuning my riding gear to add to the comfort level the latest being a quiet helmet. Replacing or spiffing up weathered components and hardware bit by bit will not break the bank. Ride it, put on some miles, try different gloves and footwear, you will be surprised how much a simple change adds to your ride. The F800R is a sweet nimble ride you may grow to like it if you give it a shot. Mine is a 2012 and had low miles I put on tires and fork seals this year, and that was the major expense so far. When I can, I am springing for a GS but it must be a smoking deal and I am keeping the R. Ride safe .

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    https://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/re...ences--reviews

There actually quite well reviewed, might be worth a phone call,. Might be the condition was reflected price,,? Would be worthwhile to know?
    Also they would or should have a wholesale in with BMW,,. 300 ea for those switches is tuff love for an older bike?
    My GS has a few scraches on the center panal cover and I was seriously considering replacement as the rest of the bike was pretty clean,. Just couldnt bring myself to put out 300.00 plus for it,,. Ended up with a can of Satin Black and just as happy,,!!
    Well they wouldn't put the bad reviews on their own website haha. I think there are a few on Google though, including mine. I was really mad when I wrote it. Yeah I'm going to keep the cost on this bike as low as possible so I think I'm going to put some elbow grease in and get it the best it can be and just ride.

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie 11 View Post
    Next time I wouldnt buy a bike without seeing it and test riding it....
    But you have it now and you need to stay positive.
    What I would do.
    1) Spray some industrial cleaner on it and then wash the bike down with a water jet.
    2) Once dried spray the mechanical parts and electrical parts with WD-40 and leave it for a week and then wipe it over.
    3) The plastic parts you can paint with plastic spray paint. If you know a screenprinter they can maybe make up something for the faded letters and icons on the switches. You could also get stickers made up to cover the faded letters icons on the switches.
    4) Check the Torque of all the engine mounts yhis could be the vibration issue.
    5) The F800 models tend to vibrate snd fitting heavier bar ends from HVMP will reduce the vibration considerably through the bars.
    6) Fitting rubber foot pegs will also help reduce vibration.. You can also get extendions for the footpegs that lower the footpegs...

Hope this helps you in some way and good luck...
    Thank you I will check but I think I am just being picky on the vibration...I'm used to 4 cylinders. I've had good luck in the past with black spray paint, it really turns out nice.

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by MattofCarlisle View Post
    I also have '13. Any idea what make your crash bars are? Thanks.

Matt
    They say Givi on them but I haven't researched them.

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by patersdj View Post
    F800R took me awhile to get comfortable , the metal foot pegs are small and slippery and I am old and fat. The riding position cramped my legs a bit for ground clearance I probably will never use. The GS suits my body and riding style better. The thing is, I got it at a great price, and actually have a history of cafe racers and a little road racing. I was willing to try it awhile to see if I would acclimate. It's nimble and fast enough, vibration is non existant compared to my Hondas and Kawasaki Concours. If you don't have an arm and a leg in it trade it or sell it and go to a GT or GS. Myself I find that after 3 seasons, my body has accepted the new riding position and I don't cramp up as often and after changing footwear, can ride several hours without discomfort . I have been tuning my riding gear to add to the comfort level the latest being a quiet helmet. Replacing or spiffing up weathered components and hardware bit by bit will not break the bank. Ride it, put on some miles, try different gloves and footwear, you will be surprised how much a simple change adds to your ride. The F800R is a sweet nimble ride you may grow to like it if you give it a shot. Mine is a 2012 and had low miles I put on tires and fork seals this year, and that was the major expense so far. When I can, I am springing for a GS but it must be a smoking deal and I am keeping the R. Ride safe .
    You're right, it is a sweet bike that is very easy to ride. I got rid of the Extra Low seat and replaced it with the Tall Comfort seat and it is much, much better. Somebody also put bar risers on my bike so they are about an inch higher.

They put a Puig windshield on it and I have to say it's just shooting a jet of air straight into my helmet. I like the look of the colored fly screen so I'm taking the windshield off and probably polishing and sealing the paint. There's a film behind the headlight lenses as well so I need to figure out how to clean those. I got the bike for $4,500 before shipping so it wasn't a horrible deal...I'm going to spend the summer with it and see how it goes. I think I'll like it.

06-03-20
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800R
    Forgive me guys, I don't see any way to do a multi-quote reply on here so I had to answer posts one at a time.

So I went to the dealer and checked the VIN on a few websites and everything said there are no open recalls on my bike right now...so no free switchgear. I've already cleaned the grime from under the seat and it looks 100% better, though I know there is more lurking under the cracks elsewhere. I'm going to put Back to Black on the plastics this week and I'll have some pictures for you all soon.

Thanks for all of your help.

33. LikesDaboo liked this post

1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '17 F800GS
    Take the time to really clean it up and you will feel a lot better about it

13 Hours Ago
    The last used motorcycle I bought from a dealer was a Honda Grom with ~4000 miles on it. Never again. And, I would never consider buying a used motorcycle sight unseen.

To be blunt, KnoxRider didn't do due diligence on this purchase. If he had, he would have seen that this particular F800 had been grossly neglected, and probably would have realized that it was not a good fit for his body. Before buying a used 2014 F700GS in 2018, I took a test ride on a F800ST and realized that the riding position, which might have been acceptable in my 20's or 30's was no longer suitable for my aging body.

4 Weeks Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Selden View Post
    The last used motorcycle I bought from a dealer was a Honda Grom with ~4000 miles on it. Never again. And, I would never consider buying a used motorcycle sight unseen.

To be blunt, KnoxRider didn't do due diligence on this purchase. If he had, he would have seen that this particular F800 had been grossly neglected, and probably would have realized that it was not a good fit for his body. Before buying a used 2014 F700GS in 2018, I took a test ride on a F800ST and realized that the riding position, which might have been acceptable in my 20's or 30's was no longer suitable for my aging body.
    I am 73 so I hear you. It did take a while to adjust my riding and position to fit the bike I am 6ft 240lbs. It's probably not for everyone but we are currently getting along without discomfort after a few seasons. But the GS version does call to me. I will have to get one.