BMW F800 Forum banner

Mud Guard Bob

473 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ccramerusc 
#1 ·
If you’re tired of that ugly F800ST rear mudguard, but don’t want a stripe up your back if it rains, you can now have your cake and eat it, too.

1. If, like me, you’re afraid to practice on your own piece, buy one on eBay.

2. Make a cut, right down the center of the groove. I used a bandsaw with a 1/4” wide blade, keeping the ribbed side of the mud guard up. Very easy. Just some fuzz to clean up afterwards. You’ll find that the lower piece nests very securely under the upper piece.

3. Holding the two pieces together and properly aligned, drill a hole in the middle of the flat section at the bottom of the top piece.

4. After blackening its edges, I super-glued a 1-7/8” plastic washer to a somewhat smaller metal washer. This gives clearance for the head of a bolt (approx. 1” long) that I placed through the top piece and secured with a flat washer and Loctite’d nut

5. I happened to have a self adhesive BMW rondel that I wanted to put there, which is why I used the more complicated washer assembly. If you don’t have one, or would rather not have anything down there, simply substitute a bolt with a large, flat head, preferably black.

6. Now a small washer, a lock washer and a wing nut go on the bolt, and your bottom piece fits easily in your bike luggage or tank bag. When it starts to rain, simply undo the wing nut, etc. and put it in place. You’ve only lost about 1-1/2” when it rains, and for the rest of the time you’ve really improved the look of the bike’s behind.

7. BTW: Anyone want to buy a rear mudguard? I’ll even cut it for you…make it easier to ship.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I did the same thing except went a little lower. I used a jig saw for the cut followed by a file, then sandpaper to smooth it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.