Front fork dust covers - BMW F800 Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Rich
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Hi all, I just checked my front fork dust covers and found what appear to be small cracks all around the outside perimeter of the lips. Hopefully you can see this in the pic. The bike is just under 2 years old and only has 1500 miles on the clock. The cracks don't seem to go all the way through and I'm wondering if they are actually cracks or just perhaps moulding marks. MY previous GT did develop real cracks around the perimeter of the dust seals but not until it was 6 years old 6 years old. They were cheap enough to replace but I had to drop the forks to do the job. I'd really rather not have to do this again if my "cracks are normal moulding marks. Would be great if someone could have a look at theirs. You might need to shine a torch on the covers to see any detail. Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2641.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	364707
    18 F800GT 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

14 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Hi Rich,
    Just checked my 69 plate GT and no sign of such marks nor did I ever see such on previous ST [6 years] or previous GT [6 years].
    Looks like the seal lip has age hardened and cracked.
    If you have a good dealer, try for warranty replacement.

Real Name
    Rich
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Thanks for having a look Chris. Both seals show the same deterioration. I was a bit miffed with such a low mileage, and the bike is garaged so not much exposure to UV. I sent the details and pictures to my local dealer who say they will investigate a warranty claim. Think the warranty might be a bit "iffy" on things like rubber seals though. Hopefully they'll extend a goodwill gesture given the age and mileage of the bike. But I'm not holding my breath.
    18 F800GT 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    Do you use a cleaner or some form of rubber "shine" on the seals?

My neighbor washes and shines up his tractor at Halloween before he uses it to haul the local kids on a haywagon for Trick or Treat. The outside of the tires developed big cracks in the sidewall where he used Armorall to shine the rubber up - while the inside of the tires are crack free.

7. LikesRichard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    5 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    I just checked mine and didn't see any cracks. I took two pictures. The first without the flash and it looks perfectly smooth. Only when I used the flash could I see some hairline cracks as you can see in the picture below.

I might start putting some Armor All or something similar on them now. But otherwise, I'm not concerned.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

Real Name
    James
    2 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    When I clean the windscreen, mostly every ride or day on longer trips, I use Honda Spray Cleaner, when at home, to clean the bugs off of the fork tubes. The bugs dry hard and can screw (tech term) with the seals over time. The Honda ( I know blasphemous) Spray Cleaner helps condition the rubber by adding a bit of oil back in. Spray on the tube etc. Let soak a couple minutes to re-hydrate the bugs and wipe off. Enough will run down and help those rubber caps as well.

I use Honda Cleaner on the whole bike. Paint, plastic, rubber etc., no NOT the tires......keep it away from the tires & brakes. Keep Armor All away from the tires & brakes as well. We all know that right.
    I used to use the Honda Cleaner on the screen also but a local shop carries Plexus for 5.95 USD a can, which is superior for the windscreen; IMHO. Most places seem to want 15$ for the Plexus so until I found the reasonably prices Plexus I used Honda Cleaner. When on a trip a wet towel works for all. I have been using Honda Cleaner for years. It is cheaper than most and works well. IMHO. I works well on the black plastic to keep it looking nice. The sun bakes the oils out of plastic and they start to turn gray over time. I would just dip the whole bike in Honda Cleaner if I could afford a dip tank for it. Yeah I know, NOT the brakes or tires.

Keep the shiny side up,
    ~James~

Real Name
    Lyle
    44 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Honda spray cleaner and polish is a great product and commonly used in car detailing as well,,. It does have an element of polish to it, hence the name,,. Its great for oxidation & fine scratches however Ive always been reluctant to use it on things like windshields and friction points,,.
    Polish is actually an abrasive material that will help you remove the top layers of protection on your paint,,. Of course, it works in a very fine and gentle way so that it won't destroy your finish,,.

2 Days Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    I wouldn't worry about those fine cracks unless you start to see a leak. Check with a paper towel once in a while to ensure the fork tubes aren't coated in oil.

As an aside, there is a good Hall of Wisdom tip that I followed for my F800ST and F650GS Twin (same forks), installation of some protectors to minimize the bug splatter factor.
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...ork-protectors
    -------------
    BMW MOA Member, 2019 F800GT, 2010 F650GS twin 

Real Name
    Rich
    1 Day Ago
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800 ST
    Thanks for all the replies. Interesting point about the rubber shine Daboo. I haven't used any chemicals on the bike, apart from bike shampoo and water. I had thought about the fork protectors, but the GT has a fork brace which is mounted so close to the fork tube that it's difficult to wrap anything around the tube. I'll see what the dealer says about replacement. The reason I'm worried is that this started to happen on my previous GT and then finally chunks of the dust seal started to fall off around the cracks.
    18 F800GT 

6 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    My bike is a 2016 that I bought used.....approximately 2 years for the original owner and 2 years for me. The bike gets washed and waxed, The black body parts get some conditioner made for black surfaces to keep them shiny - the rubber bits get nothing.

I looked at my fork boots very closely, and there are no cracks in them. The bike has 14,000 miles on it and it is stored indoors.

It is hard to know what protectants to use and which ones to avoid.....as we have no idea what the boots are made from. I know Armorall makes things shiny - but very often causes the rubber to crack.